Pod Your Reef

Mini/Mini Maxi Anemone Showoff Thread

NaClCrocodile

I only have one - but I've finally plucked up the courage to slice and dice so hopefully soon I'll have two lol :D But I have a question - how do I get it off the rock it's on? It's foot is nicely snuggled in a hole - anyone got any quick tips to shake it loose without hurting it?

NaClCrocodile

I've heard ice - never tried it because it sounds a little stressful but it may work. When mine was in a rock I ended up chipping the rock apart to get it. I mangled the foot up pretty bad but two days later it was fine. They're tough little buggers.

I tried ice and it did nothing for me! they didn't budge. I try to loosen the foot with my nail and sometimes they will pop off, if not, then naclcrocodile's method is the other option.

NaClCrocodile

Agreed. I use brine shrimp mailny because that's what I feed the rest of the tank. Once a week is good as well. When I feed mine I've noticed that a few days after feeding, they'll wait till lights out, shrivel up and expel the waste. I don't know if that's normal but it scared the pants off me when I saw my prized Maxi shrink up and gape it's mouth. HTH.

Thanks for the info guys and Nal thanks for the heads up about him expelling waste because id probrally be pacing infront of the aquarium.

Edited by reef keeper

Ok everone so can these min nems go in any tank or does it have to be a speices only tank can i put it in my reg. lps,sps tank.. will it go and sting my chalice's or other coral's wil my other corals like a frogspawn or duncan stin the mini nem just wanna make sure before anything.. be safe than sorry thx' everbody....

NaClCrocodile

You can have them either way. Just the same precautions that you would with other anemones - they'll sting corals and eat fish it the opportunity arises.

On another note, I cut four of my stock today. If they look good tomorrow, I'll be cutting the last two.

nice.. yea i was thinking of setting up my old bc14 thats sitting in the basement up.. gonna be a Bare bottom mini nem tank.. i got all the eqip. got stevie t's basket a better return pump and heater so i just need chemi -pure elite and purigen.. and a light prob a 70w viper clam on i see them for like 70$ shipped all the time.. might be a nice little tank.. maybe even go rimless with the bc14.. i se people do that too..

mobilehurricane

just got my first one from the lfs and probably one of my favorite items in the tank! they didn't know what they had so i got lucky.

maxi.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I've been really drooling over the maxi minis that Extreme Corals has sometimes, but didn't have the cash or all the nice colors were sold. He put up a new batch yesterday, but the ultra colors were already sold out. I figure someone is going to be slicing a bunch of them up. Luckily he posted a few more today and I bit the bullet and bought a few. I hope they look as nice in person. I'll post updated pics once I get them settled in.

Needless to say, I'm pretty excited. :D

pinkmaxi.jpg

crazymaxi.jpg

redmaxi.jpg

Im going to be picking up my first ever nem!! A mini!!

I have a few questions:

1. Will it be ok in a 20 long macro tank with 2x24w t5ho?

2. Will it eat my clown goby?

3. I have 6 sexy shrimp will they be ok?

4. I have other inverts in the tank, porcelain crabs, emerald crab,pom pom crab, are those safe?

5. Whats the difference between maxi minis and mini nems?

6. I also have a mandarin and a firefish, are they safe?

Thanks so much!

Belle

Edited by briansbelle

Congratulations Reef Goddess; they're a really interesting species and you got some nice ones for sure.

Belle, first off - nothing is "safe" strictly speaking. A Maxi Mini will eat anything that wanders onto it's tentacles. Most fish will know instinctively to steer clear but that's not to say you could come home in a month and be missing a fish - it's happened to me. The anemone may actually decide to host the sexy shrimp, so they should be just fine. The difference between a Maxi and a Mini is that the Maxis will get around 5" and rarely if ever split on their own while the Minis will only get about half-dollar sized and split regularly. Minis also are usually only green and pink/purple. HTH.

Cayman

Also, the mini's might get kinda "lost" in a planted tank because they move around a lot. But they split really quickly so you'll be able to find them again.

I got 6 minis about two months ago and I think they have all split by now.

NaCl: Will my maxi's be ok under T5's? I have shallow tank with an ATI 4 bulb fixture that I was planning to put them in. Do they like high or low light? I notice that a lot of peoples' maxis look kind of faded colorwise, but maybe its just their pics.

Mine have been the hardiest pieces in my tank. They've been through two tank moves, lit under everything from a 2x18w T5 to a 70w MH to the newest, 6x24w ATI PM, high nitrates -> low nitrates, salinity, and even temperature swings. The only time I've lost one is when it decided to crawl into the HOB filter and see how the impeller works. They've been just fine under all lighting and conditions otherwise.

Thanks! I believe the one i am getting is a mini. Its pink/purple and green. That would be awesome if the nem hosts my sexy shrimp! Then they would leave my birdsnest alone lol! You say a maxi mini will eat fish, so does that mean reg minis wont? Or are less prone to eating them?

I hope my fish stay away from him and since it wont get very big hopefully it will not want to munch on my fish. I do feed the tank pretty heavy so hopefully it will be nice and full.

I have a little blenny maybe 1.5" and he was in the tank with my mini anemones and I had no problem. Seemed that my blenny knew better than to relax on them. I just wish he would have left my sps alone, had to move him to my zoo tank.

Thanks!! Im excited! Will be my first ever nem! My little clown goby likes to rest on everything lol hopefully there are plenty more spots for him to lounge rather than on the nem lol

I have 6 mini mini's in my macro tank. I put them on an island and they stay put. I have two small scooter dragonets and they haven't been eaten yet. The nems have eat snails and hermit crabs however. So small inverts seem to be in danger. My peppermint shrimp won't go near them.