Cultivated Reef

Red hornets and why they're not rare part 2

organism

hornets are a waste of money, but to compare them to the crap zoas that come in is ridiculous.

they look nothing alike. hornets look 10x better than the stuff that comes in from aquaculture. Put the two colored up corals right next to each other and I would still be able to pick them out.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My apple is a much more rare delicacy to both see and enjoy than yours, it came from the tallest branch of the tallest apple tree in all the land.

My appetite for any Zoanthid is ruined. Stupid polyps aren't even true coral. "Ohhhh we collectors simply adore those new 'grannies tripping acid.' Delightful."

Unless you're getting money for having colorful crap in your tank you're no more a collector than I am. You find me something thats truly rare in the hobby, and I'll show you a brown piece of crap looking coral no one would spend a used tissue on.

Bah, my bad. I just find this one aspect of the hobby a let down.

I still haven't seen the difference between these zoanthids and the lineaged from don't care where zoa's.

I'm reserving judgment on these. I think we're getting to the point where the difference could be photography related (though yours still don't seem to have alternating skirts), but without seeing the real deal up against them it's impossible to tell.

Deleted User 6

A "true" red/purple/whatever hornet has alternating skirts. For people who care, it's important apparently. I don't really give a ####.

Deleted User 6

lol, i'm just trying to stir up trouble.

also, not sure how my post makes me either jealous or stupid. i basically reiterated what you said earlier as the definition of hornets and said that i personally don't care about "true" hornets at all. apathy =/= jealousy or stupidity. unless i'm stupid for not wanting to collect true hornets. if that's what you meant, then I say you're stupid.

The alternating skirts were already covered here

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=2782565

But here's some super macro crops from the pics that I'd posted yesterday. There is zero argument that the skirts are alternating on these, just as looking at the "comparison" pics in the first post there's also zero argument that the skirts don't start as alternating they slowly color up that way. I thought I'd debunked that one already, but no worries, I'd rather make it crystal clear so that we don't have this argument again.

post-14867-1271265470.jpg

post-14867-1271265478.jpg

post-14867-1271265485.jpg

Here's the lineaged ones in the first post before they colored up and were photoshopped, notice the non alternating skirts.

red_hornet_008.JPG

If the alternating skirts are the only things that define true red hornet, then I'm glad that all the naysayers are now in agreement that these are red hornets.

The alternating skirts were already covered here

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=2782565

But here's some super macro crops from the pics that I'd posted yesterday. There is zero argument that the skirts are alternating on these, just as looking at the "comparison" pics in the first post there's also zero argument that the skirts don't start as alternating they slowly color up that way. I thought I'd debunked that one already, but no worries, I'd rather make it crystal clear so that we don't have this argument again.

post-14867-1271265470.jpg

post-14867-1271265478.jpg

post-14867-1271265485.jpg

Here's the lineaged ones in the first post before they colored up and were photoshopped, notice the non alternating skirts.

red_hornet_008.JPG

If the alternating skirts are the only things that define true red hornet, then I'm glad that all the naysayers are now in agreement that these are red hornets.

I think they are arguing that the color doesn't alternate.

IE, red/black/red. I guess I see the difference. Defintaley worth an extra couple hundo for me...

EDIT: Maybe I'm wrong. The picture you posted of a the "real" has all red skirts. There was another pic postes that has Red/Black/Red/Black. I assume this matters to a collector?

i will trade you for one and put it next to my red hornet and post pics every week and send every thing to ship it org if you want to let me know ok

Thanks for the offer, but to make sure that everything remains impartial if they're going to be colored up side by side then I'd need a lineaged red hornet as well. Out of curiosity, since yours is the most true to life red hornet pic I've seen, would you mind posting a top down pic of how it looks now, preferably with and without flash? It would be great to get a good shot of a non-photoshopped one as a comparison as well, and so far you're the only one I've ever seen post a non-photoshopped picture of the lineaged one.

I think they are arguing that the color doesn't alternate.

EDIT: Maybe I'm wrong. The picture you posted of a the "real" has all red skirts. There was another pic postes that has Red/Black/Red/Black. I assume this matters to a collector?

They don't start off with alternating skirts, they just color up that way under certain lighting, which the comparison pics in the first post show with no argument. The super macro crops I just posted show exactly the same coloring up process happening, the second pic down is actually already showing the complete red and black alternating skirt, and every picture shows it completely alternating on some parts of the skirt. Bottom right of the first one, all of the second one, and middle right of the third one :)

Basically, the skirts = true ones thing is now officially debunked on several levels, that argument is now over.

Even Marvin's Red Hornets and Bonsai's Purple Hornets don't have alternating colored skirts. It's just pretty much an optical illusion. It's just the part of the skirt that is popping up is the one getting more coloration because it is closer to the light. Using Photoshop will just make it even more obvious. So I totally agree with what Organism is saying.

lol, fail.

Yup, wild from the solomon islands. A lot of the nicer zoanthids in the hobby actually come from there, very cool area :)

Organism, post this up on reef2reef and see what people that actually own them have to say.

Even Marvin's Red Hornets and Bonsai's Purple Hornets don't have alternating colored skirts. It's just pretty much an optical illusion. It's just the part of the skirt that is popping up is the one getting more coloration because it is closer to the light. Using Photoshop will just make it even more obvious. So I totally agree with what Organism is saying.

lol, damn some of you people are just straight up crazy!

It's funny that none of you people have actually seen them in person, yet pretend that they are all photoshopped and fake. You seriously think that it's an optical illusion? All the skirts get the same amount of light. Go msg Marvin then and see what happens when you accuse him of photoshopping his corals.

Now I see how the teabaggers were formed, a bunch of people following each other like sheep with no real opinions of their own.

:wacko:

Oops, my misunderstanding on that one then. I'm staying out of the strife :grouphug:

BS man, you keep trying to create it. Why else would you make a part 2 of this same topic... :rolleyes:

Fiction if you like paying 100 pp, noone is stopping you. for those of us who think that its a bit pricey organisms zoas look as good and are a lot cheaper! I don't want to pay 99 more pp because someone named it. I can make up much cooler sounding names for mine.

Good thread, following along.

Now I see how the teabaggers were formed, a bunch of people following each other like sheep with no real opinions of their own.

:wacko:

I really don't see where the homosexual insult fits in or is appropriate.

Speaking of "sheeple", wasn't "Teabaggers" a reference first used on CNN by Anderson Cooper? Is that were you "Hope and Change Zombies" get your brain food these days? I sure hear that reference a lot lately. Aren't the Tea Partiers supposed to be the homophobes?

Archived