inTank Media Baskets

Official "What else can you get?" Thread

johnmaloney

I slipped off a ledge yesterday and landed on some oysters so I am short a hand at the moment, but next week I should be heading over there. Flip flops aren't work shoes apparently :)

Ouch man Hope you get better!

nice fish mudfish! He has nice color, is he shy still?

No, not shy at all. Not quite that colorful anymore, either, but a good fishy nonetheless.

That Sea Robin you got? :(

Triplefins do reside on corals. They are very cool fish though!

Yeah, he was doing so well for months, real personable and then I added that warty nem. He would hang out a little too close sometimes...was completely missing one day, and the nem was fat and bloated looking.. :( then he stung to death an aggregating anemone that was wandering a little, same with the st thomas mushroom. The nem resides in a non reef safe odds and ends tank now. It was dumb, but I was thinking of doing an Indian River Lagoon biotope, and both are from that area... it is a regular non themed tank now.

- I bet that is why they aren't in the hobby, harder to collect those species without harming coral and because of that carrying them is impractical. I bet you can find them sometimes under a common wholesale heading "assorted blennies", a lot of Florida divers do that with the blennies that pop up that they dont normally sell under a different name.

neya - there is! bluefish have nasty teeth, I would hate to run into a school of man eating bluefish. tarpon schools are awesome, that must have been a cool trip. Amazingly graceful fish for their size...

Yeah, close up with a barracuda can't be fun. Can't escape them in the Keys, they are everywhere it seems...and curious

I was diving in NH last summer and I swam through a school of bluefish. They have some big ass teeth. They were more scared of me though.

I was diving in NH last summer and I swam through a school of bluefish. They have some big ass teeth. They were more scared of me though.

must have been freezing! summer or no summer. I couldnt get past that to find out. :)

done :)

oh by the way...

while i have unfortunately learned that i have to spend my business collection time wisely, i have some free time too, and would look for and locate almost any of these items for a blastomussa merletti colony. even some cash for the difference...

Edited by johnmaloney
done :)

oh by the way...

while i have unfortunately learned that i have to spend my business collection time wisely, i have some free time too, and would look for and locate almost any of these items for a blastomussa merletti colony. even some cash for the difference...

lmk i can get one any time. ;)

johnmaloney

awesome, let me know though if it is too much of a pain....(I always picture you out in the middle of the desert), but if not, hook it up! :)

where abouts in fl do you do most of your diving? if you still havent been to sw florida you are missing out on the real wild florida. everglades national park is amazing. only place in the u.s. with saltwater crocodiles, and there are some dinosaurs out there.

actually there is a spot in biscayne bay that has some salties too.

Edited by jdl
johnmaloney

yeah i come across them from time to time neya usually in the summer or late spring

we go up and down the east coast of florida. what city are you heading out of? i saw some gulf coast this weekend, it was okay, i haven't headed out to sw fl though.....or the everglades. (yes sad I know). I did some tourist guided trips when I was younger but you know....and that was the homestead area.

i have seen a sign that said to watch out for crocs but i have never seen one. to be honest i was under the impression there were like 20 out there and they would be extinct soon...not the case huh? How regularly do you seem them in the bay? are they in the inlet mouths around the everglades? I always pictured that areas as being murky ...is that the case?

i live in pompano beach which is the town north of ft lauderdale. there is no shortage of salties in the glades. as for biscayne bay they are usually rare, however one has decided to call home at a certain mangrove creek mouth where i fish. it is there every high incoming tide. aggressive bastard too. will chase you right out of the mangroves. all i use is a kayak so im defenseless. the glades is very murky. diving would be pointless for recreation due to blackout conditions. collecting stuff from the mangrove roots could be cool, but not worth the risk. bull sharks usually hang around where crocs are as well. if you like fishing you need to go to everglades national park. if you ever make it that way pm me and ill give you some good spots for redfish, trout, snook, and tarpon.

johnmaloney

lost my longer reply...

pompano is a nice area to dive, usually the water is less crowded than ft lauderdale too. i am very familiar with that area, i lived in deerfield for two years. it is nice it has everything the city has, with half the population and much less traffic. boca has some good fishing too. Miami even has some awesome diving, I go there sometimes, but the traffic is enough to keep me away.

i dont do much fishing these days, but for snook, redfish and trout you should come up my way to the indian river lagoon. Plenty of snook...plenty...redfish are a little more elusive, but not much and I think in the southern portion of the IRL trout are the least abundant, but they have a lot of them too. I am a fan of mangrove snapper, taste better than yellow tail and the rest. Snook I think is a pain in the neck, always too close to the mark for comfort or to big/too small

huge state, i doubt i am going to get to see it all, but i have crossed off a few places so far. always love new tips though on trips to take.

i love the irl. i go up to stuart to fish and surf a lot. i do some wading around the power plant, and fish from house of refuge to the inlet, ocean and riverside. i agree about the snook. i only catch and release them anyways.

there are some awesome wrecks here in pompano.

Edited by jdl

Have you considered making a similar list for algae/plants? Also is there anything you can collect apart from mangroves that will grow up out of the water? I've got an idea for a tank, and am looking for stuff apart from just mangroves with life above and below the surface.

johnmaloney

yeah i have to update the list too.. and my website is in need of an update but i havent had the time. if it is a species from florida let me know and i can probably get it for you at some point in the next few months, as long as it can be removed from rock when it is collected, anything that needs to stay attached to be collected wont work. (neomeris, acetabularia for the most part etc...) sometimes we get lucky and find it on a shell. I have small pics of some of them here:

http://reefcleaners.org/index.php?option=c...6&Itemid=90

i have never checked the regs for it, or what salinity it can tolerate, etc... but you may want to look into marsh grasses. it may work for a fowlr with puffers or something etc.. not sure what you are planning, but there are salt marsh possibilities if you can go with a lower sg.