Top Shelf Aquatics

Billdemart's Inhuman Creation Station (20 High)

Billdemart

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Billdemart
Protozoa's may have caused your ric's to dissolve....

did they start lifting their "foot" before they dissolved?

Protozoa's eat away at the footing of mushrooms and the like.

They live in the sandbed and can come in on ANYTHING.

worst part.... the lil bandages are microscopic.

:scarry:

Maybe that's what happened. I don't remember them lifting their foot. They would just be REALLY small when I woke up.

The only other thing that has died is one of my meteor showers completely bleached.

That eel = sweet. I'm going to have to keep my eye open for another deal like that! :)

Thanks, he's by far the coolest thing I've ever had in a fish tank. He's totally badass.

Billdemart

Started the Microbacter7 today but not sure I should have, I'm out of town for 5 days with no way to keep dosing it. Guess I'll start when I get back again.

I got the MP10 today.

Holy crap. This thing absolutely CRANKS. It's blowing my corals all over the place. My fish are swimming around like crazy.

I put it on Yellow (reef crest random mode:?) and set the maximum at around 80% I think. Hope this extra crazy flow helps deter the red slime plague.

• 3 months later...

Man I haven't updated this in a while.

I kind of lost interest in reefing like I do everything after about 3 months of going at whatever it is hardcore.

I still have the tank, still do water changes and feed it but that's about it.

All my zoo's stopped growing a long time ago and they all got incredibly small. GSP, FS, Plate, other polyps, pink montipora, and plate corals are growing like crazy. All Rics melted/completely vanished, my 6 line wrasse vanished, one of my clowns vanished, never saw any sign of them. One fish left is doing well and the eel is still doing well along with an emerald crab, a blue hermit, and some snails. There are TONS of little white snails of various sizes all over the glass especially at night, but many of the snails died probably because my salinity gets too high because I have no ATO and go out of town a lot.

I haven't tested the water in months. I might do that this week. Mangroves and Chaeto in the back are still growing but I've never removed any chaeto, not sure if you are supposed to do that or not.

I'm thinking about getting an ATO and getting some new salt.

Oh yeah the Red slime is all gone, has been for a while but I have some brown or green HA all over the back wall.

• 2 weeks later...
Sucks about the tank man. An ATO would definitely help out I bet. You know what happens when you get bored with something right??? you upgrade!!!

haha what's up SoCal. Yeah I've thought about new bulbs, ATO, some other stuff, maybe some new fish once I get everything fixed.

So today I was going to do a water change and realized there was almost no water movement in my HOB fuge where I keep my heater, thermometer, everything pretty much...

Once the water level got down below the return I realized absolutely nothing was coming out. I took some stuff apart and found the rio pump that pulls from the display to the fuge was cluttered with chaeto which has pretty much completely covered my fuge....

So I tossed the thermometer in the display and it was like 73 degrees... :(

It's been like that for at least 3 weeks. I don't know how everything has survived. I fixed it all and slowly getting it back to normal.

I wonder if low temps and high salinity levels are good for Stomatella breeding because I have like hundreds of them in my tank now. All kinds of different sizes. They are literally everywhere and even come out at all hours of the day.

• 2 weeks later...

Things starting to do better now that I'm paying more attention to the tank.

One of my chalices is out of control. It's grown over 3 times the size of the plug it's on and has several dozen mouths. It takes up an entire rock. I need to frag it.

Same with my GSP and Frogspawn. They are taking over the entire tank. It's nuts.

Need to read up on fragging I guess.

Things starting to do better now that I'm paying more attention to the tank.

One of my chalices is out of control. It's grown over 3 times the size of the plug it's on and has several dozen mouths. It takes up an entire rock. I need to frag it.

Same with my GSP and Frogspawn. They are taking over the entire tank. It's nuts.

Need to read up on fragging I guess.

Man seems like you've run the gammit. you do want to trim the chaeto regularly. Take that to your lfs, or sell it. or toss it, what ev. Fragging most things is easy too, just snap it :lol: If you have some corals to get rid of LMK :D

aslo you need new pics!

pull like clumps out. I pull 90% of mine out.

Do you worry about tossing the pods out with it or not? Does it get full of nitrates or something and then needs to be pulled?

I tend to take it to the lfs so the pods in there aren't wasted. It just starts shading itself out so it becomes less efficient at removing nitrates.

Wow. This Chalice I got forever ago looked like this.... (way zoomed in was about the size as the zoas in the next pic)

030-6.jpg

Now it looks like this:

Chalicehuge.jpg

It has about 10 times the eyes or mouths or whatever you call them. I'm about to frag it because I just don't have room for it anymore. Same with the FS. It's HUGE. They cover one whole side of my tank. And I'm about to make about 6 or 7 GSP frags as well.

Cool vids, even tho the eel sort of freaks me out now that I see it in action.

Sure looks like he wants to eat the other fish tho...

I'm wondering this now....

I lost my 6 line and a False perc... And never saw any sign of them. They completely disappeared. Granted they could have jumped and the cat or dogs could have eaten them. But I don't know.... I still don't think the eel is big enough to eat them but who knows?

I'm wondering this now....

I lost my 6 line and a False perc... And never saw any sign of them. They completely disappeared. Granted they could have jumped and the cat or dogs could have eaten them. But I don't know.... I still don't think the eel is big enough to eat them but who knows?

I have my money on the eel :(

I have my money on the eel :(

Really? Damn. I'll feed him more often because I'm about to add a YWG and Tiger Pistol, another perc and maybe one other fish.

I'm starting to spend a lot of money again. That didn't take long. Just when I thought I was out......

Really? Damn. I'll feed him more often because I'm about to add a YWG and Tiger Pistol, another perc and maybe one other fish.

I'm starting to spend a lot of money again. That didn't take long. Just when I thought I was out......

lol its an addiction thats really hard to kick for sure! I do think that the eel could have decided on a little snack if it got hungry. Its not to say that they did not jump tho. too many variables.

also try talking to your LFS owner to see if he'll take trades of frags for livestock. Its usually not a bad deal for both of you.

lol its an addiction thats really hard to kick for sure! I do think that the eel could have decided on a little snack if it got hungry. Its not to say that they did not jump tho. too many variables.

also try talking to your LFS owner to see if he'll take trades of frags for livestock. Its usually not a bad deal for both of you.

Yeah they will. I posted on our local Reef Club forum too and a bunch of people are coming over to buy frags that I'm thinning out. :D

Yeah they will. I posted on our local Reef Club forum too and a bunch of people are coming over to buy frags that I'm thinning out. :D

Nice!

I'm thinking of doing a prop tank to fund my reefing addiction.

Nice!

I'm thinking of doing a prop tank to fund my reefing addiction.

Has this worked for anyone? Or does it just turn into another moneysucking tank? :P

Has this worked for anyone? Or does it just turn into another moneysucking tank? :P

I dunno, I think it's worth a shot. I'm going to have it hooked into my system so the only equipment I need is a light. The only real additional expense will be the electricity for running the light. The only thing is growing worthwhile corals.

I dunno, I think it's worth a shot. I'm going to have it hooked into my system so the only equipment I need is a light. The only real additional expense will be the electricity for running the light. The only thing is growing worthwhile corals.

Chalices! That's my new obsession

Archived