Pod Your Reef

The Miracle MAX

el fabuloso

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Did your Rose Bubble Tip Anemone cause any problems (wandering and stinging corals) when you first added it to the tank?

I had it marooned on a piece of live rock and that helped contain it in one spot. Until it found a way out. It moved around for a bit looking for a spot until it was happy but it didn't do too much damage. I also reinforced its decision with food when it found a spot that I wanted it to stay in.

How is the tank doing after the move? Lets see some FTS.

The tank is doing well. It's still a rock pile from the move as I haven't taken the time to redo the rock scape but everything is happy. I'll try to take some pics this week.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Pico to the MAX

With the Sexy Pico put to bed everything is finally in the Miracle MAX and I finally got around to taking some pictures.

CIMG3734.jpg

I haven't done much with the rock work since the move back in October so it's still looking a little rough but otherwise everything did fine, for the most part. I really miss my old rock work and I wish I could put it back exactly the way it was.

The monti-mille had it rough during the move and most the branches bleached off save for a few on the right. I'll be cutting out some of the dead portions over the next week to hopefully give it a fresh start.

CIMG3343.jpg

Ditto on the birdsnest.

CIMG3341.jpg

My all time pico favorites, happy as can be:

CIMG3336.jpg

CIMG3337.jpg

CIMG3335.jpg

CIMG3340.jpg

CIMG3345.jpg

:happy:

The crocea was the last piece to move from the pico to the RSM and seems to have transitioned well.

CIMG3745.jpg

It took a while to get it to let go of the rock it was attached to but it finally let go after four days and has now happily reattached itself to its new home.

The rose bubble tip anemone found a good spot and has not left its current place since the move.

CIMG3364.jpg

I began to realize that aside from my RBTA and tomato clown (along with all the fish that died from the power failure), I have not bought a single coral specifically for this tank. A majority of the life in this tank came from the pico and the rest came from the old M9 tank, which mostly came from the pico anyway.

My tomato clown guards her anemone defensively to the point that I now have to take her out of the tank if I need to put my hands in the water for prolonged periods.

CIMG3331.jpg

Not pictured is my yasha haze goby which has gone into hiding since the move and occasionally comes out during feeding so I know she's still alive. I'm worried that the pistol shrimp might not have made it. While trying to transfer the clam out of the pico I kept hearing a popping sound from inside the rock that the clam was attached to and assumed it was the pistol shrimp so I placed the whole thing in the Max. I combed the pico looking for the shrimp before dumping it out and didn't find him anywhere. I'm hoping he made it in the big tank and every now and then I hear a popping sound but I can't figure out if it's him making the sound or if I'm just hearing things. I also haven't seen anything digging around in the sand. :(

With the closing of the pico this tank finally has my undivided attention and a few things are in order:

1. Rescape and do some serious cleanup
  2. Add some cool inverts
  3. Restock the fish list
  4. Finally get some new corals for this tank

ya, get that thing cleaned up!

I'm workin' on it!

you referenced an inner city ghetto earlier...hope the tracks arent too far away!

I did! lol I live far from the ghetto these days. ;)

The tanks looks good. Once you clean it up, etc it will look AWESOME!! Keep us updated with plenty of pictures and what not.

How's this for an update. So yesterday I came home and found my crocea clam gone! And I mean gone! It basically went from this…

CIMG3745.jpg

…to this!

CIMG3748.jpg

I'm still baffled and trying to figure out what could clean out a clam overnight. I haven't added anything new or done anything different to the tank and the tank has always been stable. Nothing else in the tank is showing any sign of stress or unhappy. If you look closely at the picture though you'll see a scraggly looking aiptasia towards the bottom of the shell and I know that wasn't there before. Is it possible for a small aiptasia to sting a clam to death overnight? :unsure:

there really isnt much meat in a clam to start with .. when its super unhappy it will shrink in and the skin will pull back from the shell..

but that being said.. it looks like something might have taken advantage of shrinking down.

the fact that something could eat it in the first place means it was dead when it happened. If it was alive and happy it would have been closed.

There are a couple possibilities.. some Hitchhiker crab ate it up.. or maybe you have a large fireworm in the tank. Its possible though that it just shrunk up and some clean up crew did some work to it over night

the clown would eat it if it was freshly dead too.. clam is a good meal :)

Man dude, that sucks! I have little to comment on the culprit due to too many to list but I found your words "the tank has always been stable" more than a bit amusing! Hope you can find the humor in that at this time. Hope this is an isolated incident.

I know, right? Famous last words. :lol:

I wish I knew what happened. I want another clam but now I'm a little reluctant with not knowing what killed my crocea. On the other hand I got a peppermint shrimp.

CIMG3751.jpg

I'm hoping he'll do something with my aiptasia problem. Meanwhile adding the peppermint shrimp in my tank has made my yasha goby venture out of the caves more. Still not out in the open but at least enough for me to know that she's still alive. I tried to take a good picture of her but the best I could do was take one from a reflection off the side of the tank.

CIMG3762.jpg

Still no visible signs of the pistol shrimp although I still hear a popping a sound every now and then but at this point I'm probably just hearing things. :(

I cleaned up the tank some and did some rescaping and I think I'm happy with this layout.

CIMG3754.jpg

Though the elephant ear doesn't look too happy in that picture. That's because I had just put in a new bag of Chemi-Pure the night before and it's currently not happy with the nice clean water. :rolleyes:

And here's a closeup of my clown giving her nem some love.

CIMG3781.jpg

:happy:

Lookin good.

Quick question. How big are the Chemi-Pure bags? I can't find the stuff anywhere and only have a small HOB filter. I've never used it but I'm afraid to order the stuff if it is prepacked and too big for my HOB.

And another thing. I bet anything your clown ate it. I watched my clown eat my crocea clam in a matter of mins once. Took about 15 mins and the clam was gone. It looked good one night and the following morning it was obviously dead and over half gone. It only took a few more mins for her to finish it off. So it couldn't have taken her more than 15 mins to do it.

Edited by eddiecorrea
sorry about the clam, the new scape looks great!

Thanks!

Quick question. How big are the Chemi-Pure bags? I can't find the stuff anywhere and only have a small HOB filter. I've never used it but I'm afraid to order the stuff if it is prepacked and too big for my HOB.

Chemi-Pure bags come in various sizes or units. Not sure how small your HOB is but they have half units at 5 oz. Before they had half units, I used to break the bag open and put a small portion in a media bag for my pico.

And another thing. I bet anything your clown ate it. I watched my clown eat my crocea clam in a matter of mins once. Took about 15 mins and the clam was gone. It looked good one night and the following morning it was obviously dead and over half gone. It only took a few more mins for her to finish it off. So it couldn't have taken her more than 15 mins to do it.

You think so? I feel like my clown would've gotten fat from eating it if that were the case. Also, you can't see from the picture but the flesh is actually still in the shell, just completely shriveled up.

hey, while doing some research on a nasty worm I have I might have found a likely culprit for you. Get a red flashlight and look your tank over at night as you never know these things are there without long term search at night. I have had mine for aver 4 years and have seen it a total of 4 times in as many years...just a thought.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-04/rs/index.php

Sorry to hear about the clam. Those sort of 'no idea' deaths always suck.

On the other hand that picture of the clown and nem sure is awesome...

Tank looks great.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I'm gonna have to investigate and see what made my clam disappear. At least if I want to put another clam in the tank.

I'm finally at the point that I want to add more fish and I need help with the stock list! Currently I have a super aggressive female tomato clown and a super shy female yasha goby which doesn't leave me with a whole lot in between. If not for the goby, I would go with some hardy semi-aggressive fish that can roll with the punches (e.g. royal gramma, sixline wrasse, etc.) but I don't want to make things worse for my poor goby. I know that I'll have to get rid of the tomato clown if I want to add peaceful fish in the tank and I'm kinda gearing towards that as I'm interested in Lalani's baby clowns. I hate the idea of parting ways with my tomato clown though and taking her away from her anemone. :(

animalmaster6

If you take out the Tomato some ideas would be:

- assessors (you could even do a trio)

- Royal Gramma: They are peaceful fish if provided with enough room. 34 gallons is more than enough IMHO)

- a couple Trimma and Eviota gobies

- Purple or Red Firefish, Helfrich if you like them

- group of cardinalfish

- group of dartfish: Maybe a Bar Goby or Scissortail Dartfish

- Bimcaulatus Blenny

- Barnacle Blenny

- Midas Blenny

- maybe an algae blenny of Istiblennius or Salarias

- a small flasher or fairy wrasse

Those are just a few ideas.