Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The Miracle MAX

el fabuloso

I stopped by my LFS today and they had a McCosker's flasher wrasse. But it was ugly. So I learned that they are sexually dimorphic and are hermaphrodites so I guess the one at my LFS is a female. Do the females ever turn into males on their own or does it only happen when they're in a group and one steps up to the plate?

• 3 weeks later...

Updates

2/11/11

• Found a huge zoa rock at the LFS for $30

IMG_0266.jpg

• Added a bicolor blenny which to my surprise wasn't attacked by the tomato clown. She's fascinated by him though and follows him everywhere.

IMG_0276.jpg

• Added a replacement tiger pistol shrimp. Tunnel construction begins but has not paired with the yasha goby who hides on the opposite side of the tank. However the yasha goby has grown less timid and is now a regular sight during feeding.

2/14/11

• Bicolor blenny goes MIA. :(

2/15/11

• Cleaned up the birdsnest which had been overgrown by all sorts of algae. Salvaged the clean tips and refragged on a new plug.

2/16/11

• Discarded unused powerhead from my pico that was covered with blue cloves. For the longest time I couldn't figure out how to get the blue cloves off it. Simple solution: frag the powerhead.

IMG_0301-1.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0307-1.jpg

• Bicolor blenny still missing. Declared dead possibly by the RBTA. :(

The zoa rock was definitely a good deal. I think the LFS priced it wrong. I'm always sad to see blennies go. They're so personable. :(

And yes, I glued the top part of the powerhead to a frag disc to keep it from floating. Then I placed it on top of four frag discs in hopes that the cloves will spread out over them and I can get rid of the powerhead once and for all. Then I can finally have that blue clove plantation I've always wanted. :bling:

That is if all that gelidium doesn't foil my plan. :(

I have an urge to go to the LFS right now and drop $200 on corals and ####. But I really shouldn't be spending so much money at least not before my NY trip. Where was this feeling six months ago??

I have an urge to go to the LFS right now and drop $200 on corals and ####. But I really shouldn't be spending so much money at least not before my NY trip. Where was this feeling six months ago??

Try to resist the impulse. Especially if you have your trip that's comming up. Don't want to spend money that you might possibly need.

Sucks but you gotta try and save it!

2/20/11

• Stopped by the LFS for water. Came home with a pair of harlequin shrimps and a chocolate chip sea star. First pic of the duo guarding their captive in their lair:

IMG_0319fx.jpg

I decided to give them the whole star instead of chopping it up and giving it to them one leg at a time. I'm curious to see how long it will take them to finish one.

The zoa rock was definitely a good deal. I think the LFS priced it wrong. I'm always sad to see blennies go. They're so personable. :(

And yes, I glued the top part of the powerhead to a frag disc to keep it from floating. Then I placed it on top of four frag discs in hopes that the cloves will spread out over them and I can get rid of the powerhead once and for all. Then I can finally have that blue clove plantation I've always wanted. :bling:

That is if all that gelidium doesn't foil my plan. :(

My friend has a 200 gallon blue clove plantation! :P

P1020447.jpg

el fabuloso

2/25/11

• Stopped by the LFS to pick up another chocolate chip sea star for the harlequins and came across a flasher wrasse. The guy at the LFS didn't know which kind it is but I took my chances in hopes that it's a McCosker's and it looks like I got what I wanted.

IMG_0354.jpg

Still pretty shy and hangs out in the back of the tank.

• The harlequins are still working on the same starfish for more than a week now.

Looks like a McCoskers to me. Very nice fish! I have also been looking for one, fab. I've wondered about their personality....my Sixline has such a personality.

el fabuloso
Lost track fo this thread quite a while ago... tank is looking awesome!

Thanks! :)

Looks like a McCoskers to me. Very nice fish! I have also been looking for one, fab. I've wondered about their personality....my Sixline has such a personality.

I'm finally seeing more of him out in the open. Cute personality and definitely a great addition to the tank. I had considered getting a sixline but I'm planning to add all sorts of shrimps in the future and I don't want to risk the possibility of a sixline eating them. This is a much better alternative, IMO.

tank looks great fab. im not sure about the flasher, but i do know that fish like the snook change sex when they reach a certain size. once they get around ten pounds or so they go from male to female. i doubt the flasher gets this big though.