Coral Vue Hydros

Lani's Clownfish Breeding Thread

Lalani

So I don't junk up Mr. Pickle's lounge thread, I'll start my own journal here. I bought a couple of spawning pairs of clownfish and am going to try my hand at raising the babies. :)

I've got two of the clowns now, a pair of wild caught onyx, and today they spawned for me for the first time. By my count there are over 700 eggs! I'm going to set up a 10gal tank, half filled with water from the parent tank with a heater and air stone. When the eggs look near to hatching I'll move the pot over to that tank and let the airstone keep them oxygenated until they hatch. I've got rotifer cultures going and all of the equipment available, I just need to set it up (once I get over this cold, bleh). I don't expect tremendous success since this is my first try, but we'll see!

IMG_4597.jpg

IMG_4596.jpg

Each color represents 100 eggs:

IMG_4596a.jpg

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

beautiful clowns! i love breeding threads. more the merrier. i'm gonna start one once mine start laying.

what a big clutch, is their first lay? my OCC pair have laid about 1000 before i bought them from their owner.

my Onyx are similar to yours as my female is WC, but my male is a Rods.

cant eait till the hatch. good luck.

Looks Great! I'll be keeping track of this journey

Thanks. :)

Where do they lay(?) their eggs? I have 2 paired clowns and I am wondering if they will spawn?

They laid their eggs on the inside wall of a terracotta pot. Breeders often use pots or clay tiles for the spawning locations.

Whether or not your clowns will spawn depend on a lot of things. Age/size, tank conditions, compatibility all come into play, but even if all of the conditions are met they may or may not spawn. If you're interested in breeding clowns, I highly recommend buying Joyce D. Wilkerson's Clownfishes book. Lots of great info there. :)

beautiful clowns! i love breeding threads. more the merrier. i'm gonna start one once mine start laying.

what a big clutch, is their first lay? my OCC pair have laid about 1000 before i bought them from their owner.

my Onyx are similar to yours as my female is WC, but my male is a Rods.

cant eait till the hatch. good luck.

Thanks! This was their first spawn for me, but they had been spawning already for the guy I bought them from. :)

Good Luck, will be watching

Thanky!

Excited!!

So I don't junk up Mr. Pickle's lounge thread

Silly goose.. that's what the tread is for! Gunk away.

Congrats! That is a beautiful pair!

Silly goose.. that's what the tread is for! Gunk away.

Congrats! That is a beautiful pair!

Hehe, I'll be junking both threads up. :P

That is a beautiful pair of fish Kim! Good luck with the eggs.

Thanks. :D

Thanks hyper! :D

Light came on a few minutes ago and the eggs are darker in color today! I've noticed a couple of dead, white ones being picked out by the male yesterday and again today, but I suppose some minor die off or unfertilized eggs are expected? I've only seen maybe 5 dead ones out of the whole bunch.

I really need to do a water change today. I've been fighting a a really bad cold, but I'm determined to try and raise this first clutch. I'll do a wc today and another one when I pull the pot to use the parent water in the hatching tank. I may have Christmas babies, hehe.

Thanks hyper! :D

Light came on a few minutes ago and the eggs are darker in color today! I've noticed a couple of dead, white ones being picked out by the male yesterday and again today, but I suppose some minor die off or unfertilized eggs are expected? I've only seen maybe 5 dead ones out of the whole bunch.

I really need to do a water change today. I've been fighting a a really bad cold, but I'm determined to try and raise this first clutch. I'll do a wc today and another one when I pull the pot to use the parent water in the hatching tank. I may have Christmas babies, hehe.

congrats kim, told you they layed massive clutches, your journey begins and like i explained to you, there is alot of work ahead, plan and you'll succeed.. be patient and you'll get the hang of it in no time! pm me if you ever need any info, and also ill let you know about the other pair you purchased from me hopefully soon!!

congrats kim, told you they layed massive clutches, your journey begins and like i explained to you, there is alot of work ahead, plan and you'll succeed.. be patient and you'll get the hang of it in no time! pm me if you ever need any info, and also ill let you know about the other pair you purchased from me hopefully soon!!

Thanks Rudy. :)

More pics of the eggs.

Yesterday:

IMG_4609.jpg

IMG_4607.jpg

Today:

IMG_4613.jpg

IMG_4617.jpg

Thanks Rudy. :)

More pics of the eggs.

Yesterday:

IMG_4609.jpg

IMG_4607.jpg

Today:

IMG_4613.jpg

IMG_4617.jpg

nice, when the eyes start to appear it will look cool!!! im not sure how you got her to spawn in the pot, but with me she didn't like the pot at all, she liked the flat tile next to the glass lol!! crazy

Haha, I think the male convinced her to like the pot. He started cleaning that spot from day 1 and I think she just kind of gave in and agreed.

Haha, I think the male convinced her to like the pot. He started cleaning that spot from day 1 and I think she just kind of gave in and agreed.

nice!! im thinking when i moved them allto my breeder systems, my ph is off a little and im guessin thats whats putting them on hold.... irritating.....

Great close up photos of the eggs! Please continue those shots so we can see the progression!

+1 It's awesome to see the detail of the eggs as they develop.

Thanks guys! I'll try to move the pot just a bit so I can get some clearer shots.. I'm just nervous about upsetting the male. :mellow:

I suppose I can turn the pot to take pics then immediately return it to the original spot.

My clowns are breeding currently and I wanted to ask if anybody thinks its even a possibility to raise the fry on frozen rotifers. I'm sure the answer is no but I don't have the resources to culture my own at the moment and I already have a 20 gallon quarantine tank set up. I just noticed that they are trying to breed a couple of days ago so I thought I'd at least give it a shot on frozen.

It shouldn't bother him too much if you put it right back in place.

Ya, he didn't seem too bothered by it. :)

My clowns are breeding currently and I wanted to ask if anybody thinks its even a possibility to raise the fry on frozen rotifers. I'm sure the answer is no but I don't have the resources to culture my own at the moment and I already have a 20 gallon quarantine tank set up. I just noticed that they are trying to breed a couple of days ago so I thought I'd at least give it a shot on frozen.

From what I've heard, you would have better luck trying to get the larvae to eat pulverized flake food from day 1. A couple of problems with frozen rotifers: they aren't moving objects, so the clowns won't know they are food.. and also, I don't think they would be very nutritious. Maybe someone with more know-how will have more to add.

Pics from this morning... looks like their little heads are forming!

IMG_4626.jpg

IMG_4626a.jpg

Lalani those pics are unbelievable! Thank you for posting them. I'm really looking forward to seeing the fish progress. Good luck with them.

Archived