Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The Hun's Acropora Heaven 60g UPGRADE

kthehun89

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your Red Planet is showing steady growth. How do you feel about the rate at which it is growing? I have friends who had had colonies only grow an inch or two in a whole year.

Xenia_farmer

Wow your tank is amazing!!! You take great pics as well :-) I wish I could do acro in my tank, I just don't have the time to keep up on water quality :-( How do you like the coralife light fixture? I used to not think very highly of coralife, but lately there quality seems to have improved dramatically!!! Do you like the coralife more than the sunpod? Keep up the good work, your tank is inspiring!!!

I like that all your coral seems to be high end stuff man. Must be nice to look at your tank and not see one coral you could do with out! I live in temekula about 100miles north of sd and you gotta have a chiller here man. Last sumer my tank got up to 90degrees. Lost all sps i wanted to cry lol.

Your Red Planet is showing steady growth. How do you feel about the rate at which it is growing? I have friends who had had colonies only grow an inch or two in a whole year.

The red planet is definitely a swift grower at this point. I frag it monthly, so its been trimmed, but it puts on new branches frequently. The key is that it needs to encrust allot before. I just moved it to the front, half-way down so hopefully its green will return. Under the LED's, it had become a pink and white, like all high-light red planets. One of my favorite for sure.

Wow your tank is amazing!!! You take great pics as well :-) I wish I could do acro in my tank, I just don't have the time to keep up on water quality :-( How do you like the coralife light fixture? I used to not think very highly of coralife, but lately there quality seems to have improved dramatically!!! Do you like the coralife more than the sunpod? Keep up the good work, your tank is inspiring!!!

Excuses, excuses, excuses. I work 30hrs a week as well as 22 units full time at university, and you can see my corals are not suffering. Water quality is something that is so easy to figure out, and once you do your corals will grow like crazy. It takes a half-hour to do a weekly water change, 5 minuntes to dose, scrape here and there. It's not like its caring for a newborn haha. As far as the light, I havent used the coralife since November, but it was a good fixture. Quality was good, but nothing beats the LED or Powermodule

K, How often do you do w/c because what ever you doing, your corals are looking healthy and great!

I'm lucky enough to have filtered NSW available for free right where I go to school, so weekly 10g water changes are done. I love doing WC's, at this point it's obvious that constant WC will grow the heck out of coral.

I like that all your coral seems to be high end stuff man. Must be nice to look at your tank and not see one coral you could do with out! I live in temekula about 100miles north of sd and you gotta have a chiller here man. Last sumer my tank got up to 90degrees. Lost all sps i wanted to cry lol.

Note the "SEEMS" high end...I never buy into crazes or fads, only rarely. Look back through my thread and you can see that most of these corals started as frags, and I've just been growing them out for a year. And yes, you gotta have the right equipment before keeping anything difficult. If I lost all my SPS, IDK what I would do...

Wow. very nice. You have some super sweet corals!

Thanks Med, you too have some sweet coral. Your rockscape is redonkulous

Blue Tort progress

DSC_0012-2.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0015-8.jpg

GARF

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0018-12.jpg

Red Planet

DSC_0004-4.jpg

Red Planet, taken on 8/10/10

DSC_0014-6.jpg

Red Planet, taken on 9/13/10

DSC_0016-4.jpg

Red Planet, taken on 10/10/10

DSC_0036-3.jpg

Red Planet, taken 3/1/11

DSC_0016-6.jpg

squirrelieygrrrl

noice hun!

i miss my red planet. :( cant wait to get the cad set up and stable so i can give another a try.

noice hun!

i miss my red planet. :( cant wait to get the cad set up and stable so i can give another a try.

The red planet is very hardy. You shouldnt have any issues with it. Good luck!!

Very very nice!

Thanks allot for your comment!!!

squirrelieygrrrl

it was for me too, but it was the first acro to go when i was having issues. it succumbed to stn almost immediately. with in days it was gone. i hear this is actually a common phenom when it comes to those guys.

squirrelieygrrrl

lulz

dont panic! just be aware if your having probs the RP will be a great indicator. mine lost color and after a week the stn started. i believe it was related to some alk issues.

could i pick on you to look at my new build thread? im having some lighting option dilemmas. i needs some input.

squirrelieygrrrl

loverly!

this tank is gonna be so bad ass after a year or so. i really like that one rock on the bottom. it almost looks like a hand or roots.

loverly!

this tank is gonna be so bad ass after a year or so. i really like that one rock on the bottom. it almost looks like a hand or roots.

Thanks! Its a great piece. Some big dead SPS thats now home to my chalices...

Wow, its looking very nice. Do hide the vortech wire either travelling it across to the overflow bit so its hidden behnd there or stick a large blue or white coloured card behind the glass. It does distract the otherwise beautiful rockwork and overall look of the tank.

I like how you've scaped according to the cube shape of the tank. This should look awesome in year or so when the corals are larger colonies.

How will you manage the light to get down to the corals lower down once the growth gets going? Will you keep the upper part corals more trimmed? You will probably have to follow a triangle shaped coral and rock work?

Not sure myself - just tyring to throw a few considerations in there for future thought.

Sahin, Thanks for actually engaging me in regards to my tank. I really appreciate your feedback.

I suppose some more pictures are in order to show how the corals are placed. The corals are placed such that the front 1/3 of the tank is LPS only, where my chalices, acans, scolies, and torch are placed. The SPS is primarily planted at varying heights in the back 2/3rds of the tank, around the column like rock work. I also believe that proper trimming is key. That's something that has carried over from my Solana days.

The 10x24w ATI puts a bulb 2.4" over the tank...it literally lights EVERYTHING. Take a look at podpimp's Solana, and that is an 8x24w...

I will try and cover the back...its slowly coming together. Thanks for the comments

My smaller Crocea

DSC_0010-15.jpg

ORA Hawkins growing well

DSC_0016-7.jpg

Shortcake...also growing well

DSC_0015-9.jpg

Anyone know what species acro this is? I'm having trouble id'ing it.

DSC_0011-11.jpg

Some FTS, from different angles.

Front pane, looking in from the right

DSC_0004-13.jpg

Left pane SPS

DSC_0002-9.jpg

Left pane FTS

DSC_0001-15.jpg

Right pane shot

DSC_0006-15.jpg

DSC_0011-11.jpg

Who cares, it's nice. Names just drive up prices for us consumers :)

If I had to guess, top left of it looks like pearlberry, bottom right makes it look like a lokani. Nonetheless, nice. How long have you had that red planet in there? Green looks like it's holding up well.

Wow what I thought was your red planet is actually a "shortcake". lol disregard.

Who cares, it's nice. Names just drive up prices for us consumers :)

If I had to guess, top left of it looks like pearlberry, bottom right makes it look like a lokani. Nonetheless, nice. How long have you had that red planet in there? Green looks like it's holding up well.

Wow what I thought was your red planet is actually a "shortcake". lol disregard.

I dont want a fancy name, rather a species. What's funny is that to the top left of the colony I actually have a pearlberry and they look really different. It's growing like some deep water on the right, but the "bubbly" part is confusing...we'll tell in time.

and yeah that's a strawberry shortcake, but I do have the redplanet, check one page back for pics :) have had it about a year, grown from a tiny frag...

Archived