Top Shelf Aquatics

Drift Monkey's Picotope

Drift Monkey

How and with what are you going to feed them? And what will be your water change regimen?

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drift Monkey
How and with what are you going to feed them? And what will be your water change regimen?

Clarify what your question refers to?

The Harlequin shrimp that you are talking about in your last post. I apologize, i figured it was obvious.

Drift Monkey
The Harlequin shrimp that you are talking about in your last post. I apologize, i figured it was obvious.

Starfish of course...might have a good lead on acquiring them for cheap. Water change maybe 1-2x a week...more when feeding starfish...constant mechanical filtration. Just wondering if 8.5 would be feasible for these guys.

el fabuloso
Thanks fab! :happy: I think i'll quit with the shrimp for now in this tank...but the harlequins I was thinkin' of doing in my upcoming 8.5... feasible or pipe dream?

It might be doable in a tank that size but nothing else. Harlies get pretty big for shrimps. I didn't realize that before I got my pair. I wouldn't leave a whole starfish for them in an 8g though and it'd be better to give them one leg at a time.

bwoodward0012

theres a guy locally around here that has a pair and he keeps a couple chocolate chip stars in his sump and rips off a leg at a time to feed them... his are pretty small though but he has them in a small tank (around 10 gal i think)

Starfish of course...might have a good lead on acquiring them for cheap.

That much is given, i meant what type of starfish. The shrimp can get picky over what types they eat. Make sure they are eating the species you plan to offer before you buy them. Also Its better to culture your own starfish than spend hundreds of dollars each year to feed the shrimp...

Drift Monkey
I think we need more pics of the new inverts now that they have settled in

221855_10150185179126137_519406136_6883641_8136431_n.jpg

2 of the sexies on the gsp with a porcelain. Notice the snail eggs that are out of focus in the foreground. B)

226379_10150185180026137_519406136_6883653_7385733_n.jpg

One of the sexies hangin' with the venus anemone shrimp which has moved from roving around the sand to a spot on the rock.

222907_10150185188916137_519406136_6883711_432502_n.jpg

Sexy

It might be doable in a tank that size but nothing else. Harlies get pretty big for shrimps. I didn't realize that before I got my pair. I wouldn't leave a whole starfish for them in an 8g though and it'd be better to give them one leg at a time.

Yeah...I'd probably have to have a species tank for these guys in a smaller tank...which is a problem because I clearly have an affinity for shrimp diversity. :P They may have to wait for a future 60-P or larger setup. Pipe dreams...haha.

very nice shrimp! perriclemenes are some of my favorite shrimp.

Thanks...yeah they are pretty entertaining! B)

theres a guy locally around here that has a pair and he keeps a couple chocolate chip stars in his sump and rips off a leg at a time to feed them... his are pretty small though but he has them in a small tank (around 10 gal i think)

Yeah...I was thinking of maybe keeping a bucket with a chocolate chip star in it for "limb donations." :P

That much is given, i meant what type of starfish. The shrimp can get picky over what types they eat. Make sure they are eating the species you plan to offer before you buy them. Also Its better to culture your own starfish than spend hundreds of dollars each year to feed the shrimp...

Well, I assumed you could see that they were eating a chocolate chip star in the pic...my mistake, but yes, chocolate chip stars are the preferred type according to my research (due to their hardiness and quick regeneration). I understand it can get expensive...I talked to my local LFS about it and he said he could get me a good price on 'em if needed...but as fab said (and from what I've read)...it might be easier to keep a couple around to donate their limbs from time to time. This isn't a spur of the moment decision and I am aware of their care requirements...I was just wanted some advice from reefers who are keeping or have kept them before. Their experiences will help me decide on whether it would be feasible (and practical) to keep in my next setup or not.

alfiefive
I understand it can get expensive...

MP10 in a JBJ 3g! COUGH :P

Kidding, I know it's for another tank.

Great new pics DM :D

Drift Monkey
MP10 in a JBJ 3g! COUGH :P

Kidding, I know it's for another tank.

Great new pics DM :D

:P Thanks!

Well, I assumed you could see that they were eating a chocolate chip star in the pic...my mistake, but yes, chocolate chip stars are the preferred type according to my research (due to their hardiness and quick regeneration). I understand it can get expensive...I talked to my local LFS about it and he said he could get me a good price on 'em if needed...but as fab said (and from what I've read)...it might be easier to keep a couple around to donate their limbs from time to time. This isn't a spur of the moment decision and I am aware of their care requirements...I was just wanted some advice from reefers who are keeping or have kept them before. Their experiences will help me decide on whether it would be feasible (and practical) to keep in my next setup or not.

woops sorry, you are better off listening to experienced harlequin keepers.

You should probably talk with rockhead01 on this pico forum too, she keeps a pair in her picotope.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t=0&start=0

Drift Monkey
woops sorry, you are better off listening to experienced harlequin keepers.

You should probably talk with rockhead01 on this pico forum too, she keeps a pair in her picotope.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t=0&start=0

Thanks for the heads up newman! :D

Just when I got my shrimp, I left town for the weekend (Mother's Day)! :happy: I had my girl and my roommate attempt to look after my tank... -_- Luckily, it's still doing fine...all seems well!

All the shrimp have now amassed themselves to the back of the tank now though... <_< All except the anemone shrimp...I am really lovin' this guy...really active (this guy is everywhere) and def not shy! I attempted to feed everyone today...the porcelain crabs (especially the smaller one) are starting take a liking to the pipette...:P Everyone ate except for the sexies...not sure what their deal is today, although they seem to be hanging out together now at least . They won't take any food I offer and they've been quite shy. The bumblebee shrimp is reclusive as usually in his cave...not sure if he's eating or not...:unsure:

Anyway...got a crappy shot of the anemone shrimp today...

230439_10150187011896137_519406136_6904535_1483847_n.jpg

Got a couple nice vids too...one of him eating, and one of the porcelain crabs feasting! The things I do when I have 2 back to back finals tomorrow. -_- Videos soon!

sweet pic of ninja shrimp and vids.

How long have the sexies and bumblebee shrimp been in your tank? they should get hungry in a few days, are you offering them frozen mysis?(they should take frozen things well at first)

Drift Monkey
sweet pic of ninja shrimp and vids.

How long have the sexies and bumblebee shrimp been in your tank? they should get hungry in a few days, are you offering them frozen mysis?(they should take frozen things well at first)

They've been in since Friday. The sexies were eating pellets a bit before I left, couldn't get them to eat pellets yesterday though, but they did grab a few loose cyclops as they drifted by.

The bumblebee apparently makes his rounds at night. I gave him a small piece of pellet last night and he nibbled at it for a bit, then lost interest. I chased him around the tank with the pellet for a while (like I did the sexies as well :P) but no dice. I also tried squirting him with a bit of cyclop-eeze and he ate a couple...then he was just interested in attacking the pipette. I tried a few more times and he just ignored it. Picky bastard! :lol:

I guess I might have to make a trip to petsmart or something to grab some mysis...-_-

yes mysis is very accepted by bumblebees as i found out. i doubt the sexies can resist it either. I use hikari frozen mysis and they like it a lot. I hear PE mysis is awesome too, but idk if its too big for your shrimp.

Drift Monkey
yes mysis is very accepted by bumblebees as i found out. i doubt the sexies can resist it either. I use hikari frozen mysis and they like it a lot. I hear PE mysis is awesome too, but idk if its too big for your shrimp.

Awesome, I think they sell the hikari brand mysis at the petsmart near me...I'll def try that out, thanks for the tip! B)

I bought a frozen bar of cyclop-eeze...man it's gonna last me forever! The thing is huge! :happy:

Send me half!

just kidding :lol: I bought san fran bay frozen cyclops instead because i could not find frozen cyclop-eeze at any stores around me.

Drift Monkey
Send me half!

just kidding :lol: I bought san fran bay frozen cyclops instead because i could not find frozen cyclop-eeze at any stores around me.

Hell, I'd buy one for you and ship it if you really wanted, although it'd likely be goo by the time you got it... :P

Haha, thanks ok! I bet I am not missing all that much anyway, the corals and other animals eat this cyclops just fine too.

Drift Monkey

Newman...do your bumblebees ever harass snails? He wouldn't stop trying to mess with one of my nerites last night and just now I caught him surfing up the glass on the nerite's back...all while trying to pick at the it with his claws. I don't think the nerite cared (and it was admittedly hilarious), but I really need to get some mysis! :lol:

yes yours sounds hungry. mine dont pick at my dwarf ceriths (the only larger snail in my pico). I try to feed them everyday. they get antsy if I skip sometimes :P

great videos drift. My sexies love frozen mysis. I bought the san fran bay brand cause my petsmart didnt have hikari in stock. Just thaw a cube in some water and split it into 2 cups so its thin layers and then refreeze it. Then you can just break it up and thaw small pieces when you need to use it.

Archived