Top Shelf Aquatics

Drift Monkey's Picotope

Drift Monkey

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i do. some leaks in on the top and backside of the rock. but i haven't noticed it bother any of the corals elswhere in the tank.

Ok, cool. I guess I will leave it alone.

Nothing is liking my tank for sure. :( One of the zoa colonies still opens a little, and the other is still reluctant to even peek. Birdsnest doesn't look too great either. The monti cap seems to be doing fine, i think I can see it's tiny polyps extending. I'll give it some more time...snails from corallineadam come in tomorrow...we'll see how they do.

You should move the sps off the plugs, so everything looks natural.

Moved one of 'em off, but they aren't looking too hot anyway. I don't wanna glue anything down just yet because I'll be moving soon...

For whatever reason, the birdsnest frags STN'd and are all white now. :( I kinda figured it might happen...

On a brighter note, the orange zoas seem happy where I put them and are opening fully now! Now if only the other ones would start opening more...they're still being shy.

19367_265680891136_519406136_3339585_7024569_n.jpg

All of the Columbellid sp.I recieved seem to be doing well as well and are staying very active. Here's one of them on my powerhead:

19367_265699911136_519406136_3339726_7832467_n.jpg

19367_272690486136_519406136_3365559_5085481_n.jpg

The other polyps (palys?) started to open up as of early this week. Totally crap picture, but at least most of the polyps are open and seemingly happy!

I moved about 2 hours away over the weekend and everything went relatively smoothly. The tank did get pretty cold for a bit, but everything ended up pulling through stronger then they were before so I guess I can't complain.

Time to find a LFS 'round these here parts. :happy:

19667_285377381136_519406136_3411239_5079243_n.jpg

Well, after about a week of being here...things do not look good. Bryopsis is loving my lighting...and is starting to take over my tank! I am also seeing little bubbles form on my rock in some places accompanied by a brownish film which looks like it could be dinos or calothrix. My chaeto seems to be staying the same size on a reverse light cycle...i'm considering leaving it on 24/7 if that'll help. Not sure what to do next besides a water change... :(

Well, after about a week of being here...things do not look good. Byropsis is loving my lighting...and is starting to take over my tank! I am also seeing little bubbles form on my rock in some places accompanied by a brownish film which looks like it could be dinos or calothrix. My chaeto seems to be staying the same size on a reverse light cycle...i'm considering leaving it on 24/7 if that'll help. Not sure what to do next besides a water change... :(

Drift, I've got a 29BC that is starting to get over-run by byropsis. I covered my tank in a black sheet and turned the lights out... byropsis kept spreading. Did some research, turns out that the byropsis will choke out your chaeto, it requires less light/nutrients to grow. I'm going to dose Kent M Magnesium suppliment to roughly 1500-1800ppm as per this topic:

Magnesium and Byropsis

Should die off, and your chaeto will love the free nitrates once the byropsis dies a horrible, terrible, awful deserving death.

I uped my mag in my last tank to get rid of that crap. It worked, just make sure you test often to make sure thing don't get out of wack.

Thanks guys, looks like I'll try to buy some Kent Tech M Magnesium and test kit this weekend and see how that goes. I'll keep y'all posted!

Edit: what Mg test kit do ya'll recommend?

make sure you raise it slowly. or your corals will take a hit.

I don't have much in there honestly...

...anyway here's a better pic:

19667_287219991136_519406136_3415569_6192905_n.jpg

bryopsis?

The other pic looked like it was on your glass,But this one looks like you need a weedeater!I hate it when this stuff happens to me good luck in fixing the problem.

The other pic looked like it was on your glass,But this one looks like you need a weedeater!I hate it when this stuff happens to me good luck in fixing the problem.

Yeah...I shut my circulation off and got MUCH better pic...this stuff is a weed!

Thanks guys, looks like I'll try to buy some Kent Tech M Magnesium and test kit this weekend and see how that goes. I'll keep y'all posted!

Edit: what Mg test kit do ya'll recommend?

Salifert.

Warning: It is expensive.

• 1 year later...
Drift Monkey

Wow, has it been this long? Well, lots has happened since I last posted. The tank was neglected (and the bryopsis actually went away?) and when I was transporting it home from college last summer a BUNCH of water spilled...and i just decided to call it quits for a bit since I had been way too busy (and poor) to take care of it. I transported all of my inhabitants to my buddy's tank and that was that.

Anyway, fast forward to now...I've been almost a year without a tank and another summer is upon me (well it might already be here...I do live in Texas :P) and I've been getting the itch. I still have all my equipment (minus a few things I couldn't find)...so over spring break I brought all my junk back up to my condo.

Now all that's left is to find a LFS to source some new LR/LS...but I do have all my old rock/sand (that is for sure dead and dry)...so I was kinda thinking about cleaning it all up seeding some LR/LS to it instead of replacing it. Anyone have any experience with that? Good idea? Or would it just take forever? Not sure about it...premium aquatics rock might be an option too...but it might be pricey for just 5-6lbs...

Other than that...I need a new thermometer...the coralife one I had was kinda crappy...so I was thinking maybe this? Was also thinking maybe this powerhead or even this one (seems like it might be too big (that's what she said))? My old Rio 50 always sorta annoyed me anyway (noisy). I still have my old picotope light for the fuge, but I am trying to find a better, cleaner solution (LED?). Ideas?

Anyways, it's good to be back, though I bet no one remembers me! :lol:

Expect regular updates soon!

Drift Monkey

Welp, I've found a place to buy LR so I think I'm gonna just ditch the seeding idea and pick some up (likely Wed). Anyway I got too excited tonight so I set it all up...

195987_10150129797881137_519406136_6529821_1504470_n.jpg

That water looks pretty wet lol. Can't wait to see this thing take off. I really hope you did something to support that light fixture. These bulbs in those type fixtures always make me nervous lol. Good luck.

Archived