Pod Your Reef

Pisces' 10g Bonsai Reef

pisces4u

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Hm, it would be an interesting idea to go without the rock. A branching euphyllia would form the branch part, and a brain could be used for the base." - Joe Pusdesris

That would be an interesting variation on the theme.

Unfortunately, my first vision was a complete study on the Montipora genus and my whole monti collection was whiped out.

The plan was encrusting montis on the base rock and branching/plating montis in the branches. As a new solution, I went with torches, but I wanted different color morphs to diversify the tree as opposed to one large single colony.

Joe Pusdesris
"Hm, it would be an interesting idea to go without the rock. A branching euphyllia would form the branch part, and a brain could be used for the base." - Joe Pusdesris

That would be an interesting variation on the theme.

Unfortunately, my first vision was a complete study on the Montipora genus and my whole monti collection was whiped out.

The plan was encrusting montis on the base rock and branching/plating montis in the branches. As a new solution, I went with torches, but I wanted different color morphs to diversify the tree as opposed to one large single colony.

I see.

I may have to try your first idea in the near future with the montis (but only with your permission). I would label the thread "Opy's tribute to pisces bonsai! (the lost dream)". I have a couple of montis now and plenty of GSP lol.

This concept is so unbelievably awesome that I may have to shamelessly copy it at some point. :blush::flower:

Thanks for all the comments, feedback, and support all!

TBH, this idea was a variation on many others I've seen popping up, one of which being this:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1288059

Like I said earlier, we've all seen hundreds of reef aquariums online and in person at this point, and we're on the verge of another new era in reefing. The last major milestone was new technology and water husbandry allowing for the care of SPS corals. Now, I think we'll see a lot of innovative changes in aquascaping and presentation. I think DIY rock walls are another great avenue.

This particular concept in aquascaping seems natural to me as nature mirrors itself in every environment. Large acropora colonies begin to look like deciduous trees, some leathers resemble conifers, pines, and evergreens. We see familiar images on land every day as we also begin to take notice of our mini-ecosystems in glass.

I'd love to see others take these ideas and run with them. I have too many for my own good and I'm already running 5 tanks. One of my first was a "red planet"; what would Mars look like populated by life (as many corals seem like alien life forms to me. Or how about a "swamp" tank? A lot of millipora and hydnopora look to me like trees covered with moss...

We've all seen some amazingly inspirational aquariums from Europe and Asia. Let's do our own share to inspire a new generation of reef aquariums.

thats AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg

the bonsai look, and the gsp "grass" on the bottom are gonna look so SICK in 6 months!

i CANNOT wait to watch this tank grow!

if i can donate anything, lemme know.... :D

EDIT: WE NEED A VIDYA! omgomgomg

thats AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg

the bonsai look, and the gsp "grass" on the bottom are gonna look so SICK in 6 months!

i CANNOT wait to watch this tank grow!

if i can donate anything, lemme know.... :D

EDIT: WE NEED A VIDYA! omgomgomg

Thanks mate. I've actually shot 2 videos, but the file sizes are very large I dunno how to shrink them or link them. Maybe someone with experience can help? Maria maybe?

One thing I do think you will need to keep an eye is the tendency for detritus to collect in the GSP on the bottom.

Having good flow to keep stuff like that suspended in the water column could be very important to the success of this tank.

One thing I do think you will need to keep an eye is the tendency for detritus to collect in the GSP on the bottom.

Having good flow to keep stuff like that suspended in the water column could be very important to the success of this tank.

I hear ya. I've been blasting the whole bottom glass, GSP, as well as the rock structure with a turkey baster evey other day. It's something I do in my 50g also to help trap detritus in the filter floss. The flow across the bottom of the tank is actually more forceful than anywhere else because of how the ac110 works. It has such a wide return that the water flows across the surface, down the front pane, and across the bare bottom.

Once I get a video uploaded, you'll see the GSP is blowing like a field of grass in a wind storm. With only one fish and no inverts yet, there isn't much detritus per say. All of the light stuff gets trapped in the ac110 and the heavy stuff I can remove with the baster.

I actually like the bare bottom so much from a cleaning perspective that my next tank (if I ever have the time/money for a 6th) may be bare bottom, rigid foam, or similar substrate.

Yeah mate. I'm having trouble setting up a youtube account though. It doesn't like me having a gmail account or something. It looks like I need to set up a new email account just for youtube, but between 5 tanks, a full-time job, and a new litter of puppies, I have 0 time to deal with that.

Oh yeah, did I mention I fragged my dog 5 weeks ago?

puppyfrags112209.jpg

Archived