inTank Media Baskets

Pisces' 10g Bonsai Reef

pisces4u

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bah! I may have to leave the rim on as I am using a 70w Sunpod with legs :(

looking at the tank looks like the glass is too thin for the legs <_<

MUAHAHHA i have a rimless top and bottom tank with 150 watt sunpod =P!!!!!! :lol:

I can't wait to see pics of it stocked! I would definitely not put an unsupported HOB filter on a de-rimmed tank, just since it is already so weak. I also recently de-rimmed a 10 gallon tank I had sitting around, though after I read the horror stories I'm kinda afraid to set it up. I found the actual process of removing the trim quite easily. Loosen silicone with a thin knife, make slits in plastic with a hacksaw, rip trim off. Removing the silicone though, that is an entirely different story. I think I was scraping at the silicone for at least 2 hours, and it still doesn't look that great. I found that rubbing alcohol and a new set of fresh razors were the best tools (I only had 1 old razor blade, so it took awhile). Good luck with the tank!

I found this a very informative article on de-rimming tanks:

http://www.natureaquariumclubofutah.com/Ho...Rimmed_Tank.pdf

I have heard the biggest problem with de-rimming the bottom is that the glass can be off enough to cause problems with it stressing one of the silicon joints. When I talked to Patrick1234 in person this past weekend, he made a lot of good points about tank failures. They are almost always failures in the joints and seems, meaning the silicon wasn't properly put on the tank (bubbles and the such). Anyway, he is really keen on this kind of thing. I'm just reiterating what he already told me, lol.

Well, back to the drawing board.

My 50g display crashed this past weekend when a Marineland Stealth heater exploded. All my SPS died as did the 18 frags I had on a rack in there for my contest tank.

I"ve already received all my equipment and rock for the contest so I'm going to stick with it, I'll just need a new stocking plan.

I'm really behind now too from all the chaos. Still need to spray paint the back panel and mod the ac110. I'd like to hang the t5's too for a cleaner look so maybe I'll build a PVC arm or something.

The local club is organizing a frag swap this weekend also which I was planning on taking a couple dozen pieces to. Either way, it's going to be a crazy weekend with the swap on Sat and the contest start on Sun.

50g is recovered (I hope) and I picked up some nice pieces at the swap. Took all night to get the pieces in and I didn't get to work on the contest tank at all.

Time for a Sunday rockscaping marathon...

Wow, what a compliment... your 10g will surely beat mine, unless you plan on stocking it with hair algae! :lol:

Got2Envy; I've got a 16.5'' on my rimless 5.5G wih no issues. If for some reason you decide you want to hang it, lmk and I will my sunpod kit to ya cheap.

Looking forward to seeing this tank progress! :)

Computer's being difficult and I can't stay online longer than 2 min without freezing so here's all you get for now.

ftsscaped111509.jpg

That rock looks like a tree. Awesome! What are your plans for it?

Wow, thanks all.

My inspiration was a simple bonsai look. I painted the back and bottom black and won't be uding any sand. Corals are chosen and sitting in my display and frag systems for now, but I'm still clueless on fish.

I have a lot of negative space so I'd like an active swimmer, not a clown, and something away from the usual gobies and blennies. Any recommendations?

is that one big piece of LR? that looks awesome like a huge tree on a hill.

lets see some more pics when you sign back on =)

The base is one solid rock. Actually, half of the rock I orignally intended. The beastly slab I picked up for the base of the bonsai tree was a 13lb rock that the LFS robbed me on. After playing with my tree formation, I decided it was too big and carefully chopped it in half.

Well, back to the drawing board.

My 50g display crashed this past weekend when a Marineland Stealth heater exploded. All my SPS died as did the 18 frags I had on a rack in there for my contest tank.

I"ve already received all my equipment and rock for the contest so I'm going to stick with it, I'll just need a new stocking plan.

I'm really behind now too from all the chaos. Still need to spray paint the back panel and mod the ac110. I'd like to hang the t5's too for a cleaner look so maybe I'll build a PVC arm or something.

The local club is organizing a frag swap this weekend also which I was planning on taking a couple dozen pieces to. Either way, it's going to be a crazy weekend with the swap on Sat and the contest start on Sun.

are you from CNY?

I was at the ABC reefs frag swap!

Archived