Top Shelf Aquatics

Pisces' 10g Bonsai Reef

pisces4u

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:eek: Wowza!! :eek:

I'm comin for ya Maria lookout~

Here's another shot, but they all look the same with only rock lol.

012.jpg

Here's a morsel for those asking about stocking:

One thing I will be adding to the tank is...

GSP muahahahaha. Are you scared now? :o

I like anything that is unique and this is definitely unique. Going to be really interested to see how you fill the rock out with corals. As far as fish are concerned that are free swimmers. Maybe some Green Chromis or other damsels. Would be interested to see what a wrasse would do in here too, though they usually stick to the rocks. If you weren't as concerned with the swimming, some Bangai Cardinals would be pretty sick too.

Yeah I've been considering Damsels. One of my LFS usually stocks the more unusual varieties; black and white striped, jewelled, etc. for $5 each.

I was also looking at a rainford goby or yellow assessor though I dunno how large they get.

I'm comin for ya Maria lookout~

Here's a morsel for those asking about stocking:

One thing I will be adding to the tank is...

GSP muahahahaha. Are you scared now? :o

I'm ready smiley-cutcha.gif

!! GSP !! :scarry: *fainted*

The GSP has arrived! Not really arrived, just plucked the mat from my 50g and cut it in half. It's placed right onto the glass bare bottom. It's still a bit traumatized from my tank crash last week and hasn't opened up to it's full glory.

fts111809.jpg

gsp1-1.jpg

gsp2.jpg

It's placed right onto the glass bare bottom.

I was hoping that was the direction you were going with this. I didn't want to say anything in case you hadn't thought of it, you know, since you are competition!

Awesome idea. I love it.

Thanks Maria ~

I did want to go with a more minimalistic "zen" approach. One of our LFS has a 180 that looks totally different than any large tank I've ever seen. The large acro colonies are "bonsai'd" and trimmed to look totally different than their natural "bushy" counterparts. This was the beginning of my inspiration.

TBH after spending 3-4 hours a day cruising N-R, RC, R2R, etc., I feel like I've seen it all and everything is starting to look the same. I think it's time we start thinking outside the box and approach reefing differently. This tank is a small experiment and opportunity to try some new ideas in aquascaping and making a reef more like a sculpture.

Just got back from the LFS and they had two cool tiny little fishes that I couldn't resist, so I added trimma and court jester gobies. The court jester is quick but looks just like this

... and here's the trimma. He is SMALL! Those are closed GSP polyps around him (I had to turn on the light to get the pic).

trimma111809.jpg

OMG I love gobies!!! I have never seen the Trimma gobies at any LFS near me :(

He is so cute!! I had a Jester goby once and he didn't make it, I was bummed.

Yeah, I've got blue clovers, yellow tipped clovers, and green eyed daisies ready, just haven't had time to get them in yet. The centerpieces will be stony corals though and they're still secret! At least for a few more days...

Here are some of my inspirations from when I was brainstorming for the contest.

390Carissa_macrocarpa_bonsai_new.jpg

contest_Bradley_Barlow_Ficus_benjam.jpg

pinus-cembra-bonsai.jpg

trident_maple_bonsai.jpg

I'm still waiting on a dendro/sun coral.

Dude, a non-ps concept was one of my top 3, but the potential water quality issue was a minus and my whole tank will be filled with frags of stuff I have so budget or not, this set up will cost me $200 actual out-of-pocket.

The dendros and suns are staying in my 50g for now...

TBH after spending 3-4 hours a day cruising N-R, RC, R2R, etc., I feel like I've seen it all and everything is starting to look the same. I think it's time we start thinking outside the box and approach reefing differently. This tank is a small experiment and opportunity to try some new ideas in aquascaping and making a reef more like a sculpture.

Your aquascape is definitely incredible... the idea of rethinking aquascape is inspiring. I'm hoping to get my first live rock this weekend and I'll be aiming for something creative... though this is way over my head! I'll be following your tank's progression for sure! Good luck!

Archived