inTank Media Baskets

Pisces' 10g Bonsai Reef

pisces4u

corallineadam

its like your capturing a miniature of a middle section of a reef (i hope that came out cohesively lol)

seriously though without the sand and then the way the rock is laid out its like a diorama of a section of the reef! :D i like it

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all the comments everyone, I truly appreciate the feedback. I've only been dabbling in aquariums for 8 months so all of my tanks have been inspired by folks like you on sites like these.

I was a little iffy about the barebottom thing, but I was much happier with the idea of painting the bottom black. My end goal is to be able to remove the liverock structure fully during cleaning and scrape the entire box with a razor to prevent coralline creep. I am actually very pleased with the cleaning so far. The light detritus stays suspended and is captured by the ac110; it's a lot of flow with a great spread for a 10g tank. I won't even need a supplementary powerhead. The heavier detritus and life rock bits just get sucked out with a turkey baster.

My vision for the bonsai reef is GSP "grass" on the bottom glass. "Flowers" will spread across the base rock and include as many types of clavularia as I can find. I'm thinking a mix of the larger clove polyps; green tipped, green eyed daisies, and orange tipped cloves with a healthy cover of blue clovers mixed in will create a cool perspective. Since they all grow via runners, I think they will all blend and not choke each other out.

I'm still working on stony corals for the branches. My original idea was a Montipora study including 3 different digi's, 3 different caps, setosa, undata, and spongodes. However, all those frags were in my 50g when it got nuked by the defective heater and I can't afford to re-buy those pieces. Either way, I hope to finish shopping this week and start introducing the focal corals this weekend.

In the meantime, my ATI Sunpower came in today :bowdown: so I'm gonna fiddle with that tonight over the 50g, then stare and drool.

That's cool, do you have a link? I've never really been into FW but it would be worth seeing.

Going to try and get my clavularia in this morning before work.

flying_dutchman
One of our LFS has a 180 that looks totally different than any large tank I've ever seen. The large acro colonies are "bonsai'd" and trimmed to look totally different than their natural "bushy" counterparts.

Do you have a pic?

Yeah one sec...

Here are some shots of the 180 at one of our LFS "The Reef Shoppe". The pics aren't the best and I didn't take them, but the tank is amazing to see in person. It's very open feeling with minimal LR. The colonies are huge but there aren't tons of them. There's a green acro left of center and a green hydno right of center that have been pruned and trained to grow in unnatural and unusual formations.

They also keep all sides pristine and clear of coralline. Several aspects of this tank inspired me and I am building on those inspirations for my nano.

TRS_FTS.jpg

TRS_rightcenter.jpg

TRS_side.jpg

I was able to add 3 clavularia frags this morning. The branches up near the light and getting some serious diatoms so I may scrounge up some chaeto and a small CUC from my other systems tomorrow. Ammonia and Nitrates still showing 0. I'm going to have to superglue the GSP on the left right to the glass, the flow from the ac110 dialed all the way down is still scooting it around.

I was also able to grab a clear shot of the rainford's goby. Here are today's shots:

fts112009.jpg

Blue clovers

bc112009.jpg

Green clovers

clover112009.jpg

Green eyed daisies

daisies112009.jpg

rainford112009.jpg

That's cool, do you have a link? I've never really been into FW but it would be worth seeing.

Going to try and get my clavularia in this morning before work.

i don't remember the link to the original thread off the top of my head, and i didn't feel like digging it up, but here's a picture:

fwp-tree.jpg

(Sorry, it's horizontally inverted, but same concept... i think...)

Wow, awesome aquarium! That's gonna look a lot better than mine lol. I suppose I could go the same direction with some sand and macros, but I haven't been able to convince my girl that "seaweeds" are cool yet...

Thanks for sharing Mew.

This is gonna be beautiful. I think you've given me some inspiration on some aquascaping when I get my tank up and running.

The tree is a tonga branch right?

great concept - what do you plan to encrust the branches with?

~ Thanks maria, kramer

Prolly won't look as cool as I'd hope as my whole sps collection was decimated two weeks ago in my main system. Nearly all my funds went into re-stocking that tank leaving me with few choices for the branches. If you are familiar with my 50g thread, you could probably figure out which pieces are going in the branches.

The 'tree' is made from 3 small pieces of fiji rock for the trunk and 3 pieces of tonga branch held together with a lot of epoxy putty and superglue.

Archived