Cultivated Reef

Pisces' 10g Bonsai Reef

pisces4u

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to disappoint mate. Not planning on any macro, no big surprises to come. Just 5 more months of growth and new torch frags as they become available. I did come across this GSP at one of our LFS that looks very different than our other variety:

newGSp113009.jpg

I almost thought it was organ pipe, but the sales rep assured me it is GSP. It has a very flat polyp structure and is a much brighter lime green than our other GSP colony. Once it grows out, I'll transplant a small patch onto the glass.

I also added some CUC and inverts as I'm starting to get a little GHA. So far, I've added 2 nerite snails, 1 cerith, 1 astrea, 1 margarita, 2 blue hermits, and 2 blue porcelain crabs. I'll add pics when I get a chance.

very nice aquascape B)

I am really fond of abstract aquascapes of any type --- much more creative instead of the standard boring reef scape that has a pile of LR with a few caves.

2 Thumbs up.

Here's the 1 month update and required FTS:

10gfts1121409.jpg

I removed one of the t5 fixtures as the torches were sitting 3" under the surface and I think 96w was too much directly on them. Instead, I added some Powerbrite 460nm LED's for color enhancement and nighttime viewing. The tank looks pretty sick under actinic LED's, but as anyone who uses them knows, it's nearly impossible to capture the look in a photograph.

Here's the whole system shot

10g2fts1121409.jpg

End shot

10gets121409.jpg

Detail of the torch tree

torches121409.jpg

Been doing one 2g water change per week and changing the floss at the same time. I scrape the glass sides and bottom every 3 days and suck up as much detritus as I can with a turkey baster. I also add RO/DI water once a day. I have a small ball of chaeto in the ac110 on a reverse photo period and GFO+GAC for nutrient export.

It's a really low maintenance system compared to my other tanks. I just wish the clovers and daisies would grow faster hehe. Oh yeah, there's a new torch in the middle also.

Thanks for reading~

Thanks Opy, your 10g is pretty spiffy too.

Should have another single torch pretty soon, one of the LFS owners is growing it out and fragging it for me :D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived