Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Mr. Microscope's JBJ Picotope

Mr. Microscope

I check with nano tuners on the 12 in T5's , they don't offer a fixture they have every thing except the housing so its still a diy . You would have to shorten a longer fixture to make it work. You could probaly add some leds if you found a wide enough fixture, and have the best of both.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mr. Microscope
Those purple death palys look great! :D

Thanks, it took a bit of experimenting to get the color right. They don't color up well with too much light. So, placement is critical.

markandstaci
Thanks, it took a bit of experimenting to get the color right. They don't color up well with too much light. So, placement is critical.

I wonder if that is true with all purple zoas. I have tried to put maroon people eaters in my tank three times and two times they've melted and now this current frag is all closed up and has been for a couple days. The first two times I'm pretty sure that the light was too bright, but this time I put them in the shade and they stayed open for a little while.

Mr. Microscope
I wonder if that is true with all purple zoas. I have tried to put maroon people eaters in my tank three times and two times they've melted and now this current frag is all closed up and has been for a couple days. The first two times I'm pretty sure that the light was too bright, but this time I put them in the shade and they stayed open for a little while.

Could be. I have read that about purple zoas. With the PDs, they do okay in higher light, and don't melt, but the color is just pale and brown. I have had a couple other zoas that have stayed closed in my light however and started to melt. I just moved my light higher again today. It is now as high as I can get it without stacking some books or something under the lamp.

I wonder what the par reading would be if you put it in a celing fixture and lighted the room with it . Would be nice if you were abel to use dimers with them.

Mr. Microscope
I wonder what the par reading would be if you put it in a celing fixture and lighted the room with it . Would be nice if you were abel to use dimers with them.

No dimmers on the PAR38. Supposedly it will break them.

Mr. Microscope

By now, you may have seen the yumas that I aquired the other day. They came on a huge rock that I had no room for in my tank. Here's an image of that rock:

YumaScore.jpg

There are four big ones and nine babies.

Yesterday, I chiseled out all of the Yumas and yuma babies yesterday. One of the babies separated from the rock, and a couple only had very small pieces of rock attached to them. So, I but them in a beaker with a little rubble for them to attach to over the weekend.

Beaker Babies!

beakerbabies.jpg

Hopefully, by then they will be solid. I ran out of super glue the other day. So, as soon as I pick some up, I will be attaching them to the rocks.

Here are the big mamas. I think the color is looking better already. I'm really falling in love with these guys. I see why they fetch such a price.

bigYumas.jpg

ParanoidObseshun

Your mushrooms look nice.I used to have a few in my nano but their stay didnt last long when I came back from a weekend out and found one lying ontop of my candy cane and melted 3 heads off of it. Once that happened I took them out and traded them to someone else.

Where do you think you might situate the yumas in your tank?

Mr. Microscope
Your mushrooms look nice.I used to have a few in my nano but their stay didnt last long when I came back from a weekend out and found one lying ontop of my candy cane and melted 3 heads off of it. Once that happened I took them out and traded them to someone else.

Where do you think you might situate the yumas in your tank?

Yikes! It must have gotten stung. Perhaps after that, there was some chemical warfare going on in there that made the rest melt. Sorry about your loss.

I was thinking about selling these, but I'm liking them more by the hour. There is one guy in my institute that said he would trade me a white bubble coral frag for one. So, I think I might do that (I've always wanted a bubble coral! :) ), but I'm going to hold on to the rest for now.

I'm not 100% sure about the placement in my tank yet, but I'm thinking low and in indirect flow. I have them in a nice spot right now where they seem to be happy, but it's not the best aesthetically. Also, if I get a bubble coral, it will be placed in that spot because it's isolated from other corals. I'll be experimenting next week.

Mr. Microscope

Update 2010.07.23

Well, I'm sad and embarrassed to inform you all that I lost Blue Lightning today. She lived up to her namesake for being an extremely beautiful, but extremely short lived fish. I guess that would work if she was a rock star too. I fed her this morning, she ate like a pig as usual, and looked happy as a clam all day..swimming and frolicking in the water. Then, about an hour ago, I walked by my tank and saw the nassarius on top of her. She swam away for a moment a few inches, but had a chunk taken out of her stomach. Later, the nass returned to finish the job. I flushed it after it stopped breathing/moving. I'm yet to figure out why all this happened. I posted to the General Discussion forum about the sad details here:

Emergency!, Nassarius took bite out of damsel

This is by far, the most depressing day in reefkeeping for me.

I'll be coming up with another banner soon.

Mr. Microscope
Today's post to the General Discussion Forum:

Photo period, How long is your's and why?

This turned out to be a very educational thread. It looks like shorter photoperiods are better for coral growth because corals do most of their growing at night. Many replied that their photo period is eight hours or less for this reason. One provided pretty strong evidence in favor of a four hour on - eight hours off cycle being best for coral growth. One even said he only has a two hour photo period. The reasons given for longer photo periods were only to extend viewability time.

I moved mine from 11 hours to 9 hours as a result of this thread.

ParanoidObseshun

Hmm that photoperiod thing is interesting. My lights go on at 10:30 am, and off at 10pm, and I have noticed a lot of growth from corals. Never thought to lower the amount of time with the lights on. I dont know if I would like only having my lights on for 5 hours or less. Doesnt seem like you would get a lot of time to view and enjoy your tank, wouldnt that kind of have an effect on your fish as well?

Oh and about your damsel, sorry to hear that. It was a nice fish for your tank. I had the same kind of problem with my yellow tail in my 20 gal. I fed him in the afternoon and he was swimming around and through all the rocks like he normally did. I came back up like an hour later and he was dead on the bottom with crabs picking at him. I still dont know what happened to him :huh: .

Are you going to get any other type of fish for your nano?

Mr. Microscope

New Signature Banner

I'm hoping this monument appeases the aquarium gods that they may take mercy on my tank in the future.

hubris.jpg

It's bee an eventful few weeks.

With the loss of two fish in the last few months, I'm going to give it a rest on them for a while. I've had some bad luck with the swimmers. Going to stick with just corals for the time being.

cheryl jordan

Sorry to hear about your beautiful damsel.

I think the right fish for the tank will show up it just takes time. Did you have a pistol with your YWG ?

Mr. Microscope
Sorry to hear about your beautiful damsel.

I think the right fish for the tank will show up it just takes time. Did you have a pistol with your YWG ?

Thanks for your sympathy.

No shrimp. I didn't have a watchman. It was a yellow clown goby.

sorry about your loss microscope :mellow: its ok, the right fish will show up. In the mean time, have fun with growing the corals out into a coral haven =D

Mr. Microscope
no problem =D Oh, Im picking up an acan frag today, maybe when you see them it will cheer you up haha

Haha! Nice. Can't wait to see it.

Archived