Mr. Microscope

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mr. Microscope
WOAH!

nyc eh?

we must meet up, i work in nyc.

Awesome! Definitely. Do you want any of my stuff? I'm selling off everything cheap to make way for some LPS. Gonna get a bubble coral and figure it could likely sting everything in my little three gallons.

Updates on the torch?

Yes! I finished the torch this week, but haven't fired it yet. I wanted to add a little something else. I was originally going to add a pink skunk clown, but then I realized that I was all out of white clay. Then a thought I'd make a sixline wrass, but I didn't have any yellow. Finally, it dawned on me that I had all the colors I needed to make a candy cane basslet. So, I just finished making that today. I'll have to wait to fire it though. It's too hot right now and the stove really heats up the joint. Pictures soon!

Mr. Microscope
Awesome!

Any guides to making these? I would love to start doing this.

I've seen a few instructional videos on YouTube, but people mostly use this stuff to make jewelry. That's how I originally found out about it. My wife got a bunch at Michael's craft store in order to make necklaces. Then she got tired of it. So, I started to see what I could do with it. It's a lot of fun. The clay is easy to shape and the hardens in the oven. You cook it at 275F for about a half hour, and voilà! It doesn't shrink or change shape at all. So, you get a good idea of how your final product will look when you're done.

Here's a link to a wiki about polymer clay.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymer_cla...Redirected=true

It sells for $2 or $3/pack.

Pics!!! Can't wait! you got skills!! Make a harlequin shrimp eating a starfish next!!!

Thanks! Haha! Whicked idea. I love it. I've been thinking about doing a crab or a shrimp, but all those little legs are going to be a challenge.

Mr. Microscope
THanks! I really want to try this. I'm terrible at clay creations though :( Maybe I'll get good at it :)

Good luck! It's a great way to fill an evening. Let me know if you make something. I've love to see what you come up with.

meganistkrieg

Would totally pay for a tuxedo urchin (for me!) or an emerald crab for the mister... if you're in the market... :lol:

Mr. Microscope
Would totally pay for a tuxedo urchin (for me!) or an emerald crab for the mister... if you're in the market... :lol:

Hmm..I'll consider that. The tuxedo might not be doable, but the emerald may be. I'll let you know if I start making one.

Mr. Microscope

I finished and fired my Torch coral/Candy Cane Basslet sculpture. Here are the results:

torchcombo.jpg

torch04.jpg

I'm very happy with the torch part. The lines on the basslet could have been a little straighter, but I think I captured the overall colors and feel of the fish well. Also, I experimented with some clay that was supposed to fire transparent for the edges of the fins, but it ended up looking more of a milky clear white; like how elmer's glue looks before it's done drying. Oh well, live and learn. Over-all it was a lot of fun to make and I think it makes a nice compliment to the last sculpture.

I've had a request to make an emerald crab next from Meganistkreig. Also, lots of you have given me some great ideas. I'm also thinking about the harlequin shrimp eating a starfish idea from Carloslekak. Thanks for all the encouragement!

animalmaster6

Wow that's incredible!! The torches structure turned out excellent.

Could you do a Hi Fin Red Banded Goby with a mated pair of Red Banded Pistol Shrimps? :flower:

Mr. Microscope
Wow that's incredible!! The torches structure turned out excellent.

Could you do a Hi Fin Red Banded Goby with a mated pair of Red Banded Pistol Shrimps? :flower:

Thanks!

That would be a tough one, but I'll think about it. I'll let you know for sure if I begin to attempt it.

Mr. Microscope
man... still impressed with your pico, i had to take down my pico because of the crazy nyc weather we've been having

Yeah, I saw your post in the MR marketplace. I was tempted to grab the lid. Sorry man. I know this summer has been brutal. I'm selling off my zoas and other softies to make way for a bubble coral that someone is going to give me. Haven't put up an add on MR yet though.

Mr. Microscope

Here's a little update on my frags:

Horizons or Orange Delights and some Mystery Zoas that are coloring up nice.

orangefragsandmysteryzoas.jpg

Magicians. The Pink and Golds have always had plenty of gold but never any pink.

PandGsandMagicians.jpg

It may be lame, but I really like my Whammin' Watermelons. Some of the nicest ones I've ever seen. Also, there are some more of those mystery zoas.

WWandmysteryrock.jpg

Mr. Microscope
Your mystery zoas (fragged ones) almost look like Green Bay Packers, but the ones on the rock look different lol

Right!? That's why they're a mystery. Some look like GBP, some look like something else, and they seem to be changing by the day. Certainly some of the most entertaining zoas in my tank.

Archived