Innovative Marine Aquariums

Mr. Microscope's JBJ Picotope

Mr. Microscope

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mr. Microscope

Hello All,

Since the death of my goby, I've been thinking about another fish. I'm strongly considering this fish. I like it better than the yellow tail and they supposedly don't get as large as the yellow tail. There is a very tiny one at the LFS. Probably about an inch. $5

Convince me not to buy it.

meganistkrieg
Convince me not to buy it.

I've heard they're mean, but... I don't know how relevant that is when you only have one of them. :lol: Besides that I'm not much help. Looks cool!

Love the little zoa garden you've got set-up. If you ever frag off any of those Tubb's Blues... give me a ring. :P All the ones you've given me are doing marvelously. The mystery-zoa is becoming a favorite just because I swear that every time I really look at it, the colors look different than before! It's also gotten much bigger. Right now it has a bright neon orange mouth, dark blue-black outside, and the skirt is golden-orange. So pretty.

I sympathize too with the woes of living in NYC... was very nearly going to get a 40BR today until I saw it in person and realized it would take up half our living room. :lol: Went for the 20L instead which is a fantastic depth/shape that I'm psyched to work with. I'm sure whichever you choose will be great, but a shallow seems to have more possibilities for interesting scapes than a cube does.

I'll say go for it too, I have one in my 12 gallon, he is beautiful and active. Nice fish IMO Doesn't pick on any corals. He has, though, dug himself a little bed/hide spot under a piece of my LR.

Mr. Microscope
I'll say go for it too, I have one in my 12 gallon, he is beautiful and active. Nice fish IMO Doesn't pick on any corals. He has, though, dug himself a little bed/hide spot under a piece of my LR.

Haha! Awesome.

That's three... :) Anyone else?

Cool. How often do you feed it?

I feed mine every other day, he's a little piggy. He gets frozen mysis&squid one day, shrimp pellets one day then flake one day..they will eat just about anything.

if that is a damsel they are pretty cool fish. the only problem you could run into is having more than one but that won't be an issue in your pico. the more you have the more aggressive they get. i had a group of 3 once and they were the bullies of my tank.

my 2 cents.....get the 12 shallow! they are sweet little tanks. i am following a build thread on this forum for one. and get the fish....lol

Mr. Microscope
Today's post to the Coral Forum:

What causes plump skirts?

I also posted the question on reef2reef

and reefcentral

So far, I've gotten some interesting opinions ranging from pH and flow to feeding vs. low nutrient system.

Hmm. Looks like I may be suffering from a nutrient deficiency caused by my water changes being too big (35%). Apparently my water is not being given a chance to mature.

Check out the reef2reef thread. There's some good stuff there.

remember Brandon? yea lol. nutrient deficiency sounds right but would you rather have algae problems or plump zoa skirts =S

Mr. Microscope

Hmm. I don't remember Brandon, but good point. There's got to be a good balance somehow. I imagine the margin of error is considerably small in a pico though.

Brandon is a cool guy on here who keeps tiny picos. he's the one with the pico vase. also he does 100% water changes a few times a week on that vase, thats why he was relevant to changing too much water lol!

Why not feed a small amount the morning of water change then later that day do 35% change as normal . Just to see if it makes a diferance . Water changes / skimmers remove unwanted proteins . If it has been working this long why change, a clean tank is a helthy tank. A lfs showed me two tankes 1 with metal halide zoes had short skirts , 1 with t5 long zoe skirts . He said it was due to light.

Mr. Microscope
Brandon is a cool guy on here who keeps tiny picos. he's the one with the pico vase. also he does 100% water changes a few times a week on that vase, thats why he was relevant to changing too much water lol!

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Gonna check out that thread again. Thanks!

Why not feed a small amount the morning of water change then later that day do 35% change as normal . Just to see if it makes a diferance . Water changes / skimmers remove unwanted proteins . If it has been working this long why change, a clean tank is a helthy tank. A lfs showed me two tankes 1 with metal halide zoes had short skirts , 1 with t5 long zoe skirts . He said it was due to light.

Funny, I started doing that within the last three weeks. I guess it's not enough time to notice a difference. I do have a very clean tank, and I suppose the heavy water changes are partly to thank for that. Thanks for the input. I'll keep digging.

Mr. Microscope

I've seen those and they are cool. Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll be getting my fish when I get back from vacation if the LFS still has the one I want.

A friend invited my wife and I to Cape Cod for the weekend. Pictures and stories to come. I've seen lots of cool sealife out here. Makes me want to start a biotope! BTW, I just read that there's a Great White Shark warning posted for the area. Hopefully I won't lose any limbs. :lol:

if you are going to the cape definitely be mindful there has been a lot of the news about great white sightings. the last great white attack was back in the 30's i believe up here but i've seen a lot of video of that thing swimming around the cape. watch out for horseshoe crabs too don't want to get a poke from one of those.

Archived