Coral Vue Hydros

Clavius' 34g Solana

Clavius85

I'm hoping that it's just a temporary problem since the tank is young. But I also wonder if the outbreak could have something to do with me switching from T5 to metal halide lighting. Either way it's depressing to look at right now. I thought about getting alawnmower blenny. But even if it did eat the algae that wouldn't solve the underlying problem that is fueling the outbreak.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmm well that may be it. also if you kept the same photoperiod it may be the cause. 10hrs of T5 is heckuva lot different than 10hrs of MH. MH for no more than 8hrs in my opinion

hmm well that may be it. also if you kept the same photoperiod it may be the cause. 10hrs of T5 is heckuva lot different than 10hrs of MH. MH for no more than 8hrs in my opinion

I've been thinking about getting a 14k Phoenix bulb. I just haven't gotten around to doing that yet. And I did keep the same photoperiod as I had with the Nova. So at the moment the MH is on from 1-9pm.

I switched just like you to MH, and I am not seeing any algae. I wonder if its cuz I'm using a Warner Marine H2X for skimming? maybe that is helping. Also, I just switched to Phoenix 14K, and the color is terrific. Almost as blue as the aqualine 20K I used to have(i broke it while switching), I like it alot. btw, I do have a Sapphire aquatics skimmer sitting around, if you want it, for a small fee of coarse! :) it only has a couple of weeks use.

-mike :D

I just did a water change and some maintenance to the tank and figured I'd take a few pictures. Here are the ones that came out the best. The tank isn't pretty at the moment and the algae is kind of depressing to look at. I can't figure out what's causing it but I'm hopeful things will get better. It doesn't seem to be spreading anymore.

FTS:

DSCF1593.jpg?t=1262570107

Closeup of the algae(?) where it is worst:

DSCF1595.jpg?t=1262570140

DSCF1596.jpg?t=1262570169

DSCF1599.jpg?t=1262570189

DSCF1605.jpg?t=1262570218

stick with the waterchanges, run some gfo, manually remove as much as possible.

Does Chemi-Pure Elite have GFO in it? Because I'm planning on getting some soon.

Ya, I run a reactor with GFO&carbon(High end stuff from BulkReefSupply.com). It helps alot, I have always run one. Just make sure to keep up on the maintanence. Also Clavius, I sold my skimmer, sorry.

-Mike B)

So I finally got the API Reef test kit. I tested my RO/DI water for phosphates to see if that could be the cause of the algae. The test result looks like it is .25 or maybe as high as .5. Hell, it could be 0 it's so hard to tell with these tests. It's definitely not higher than .5 though. Is that high enough to fuel algae growth?

Where do you have the reactor? In the rear of the Solana?

My tank is in a corner, So I hang my reactor(3 little fishies) off the back. As far as Phosphates, I always test 0, and my water is 0 TDS. Where/how are you making your top-off? Do you test its TDS?

-Mike

My tank is in a corner, So I hang my reactor(3 little fishies) off the back. As far as Phosphates, I always test 0, and my water is 0 TDS. Where/how are you making your top-off? Do you test its TDS?

-Mike

I use RO/DI water to topoff. Same stuff I use to make saltwater. I don't test for TDS as I don't have a TDS meter yet. One of those things I've been meaning to buy. But my RO/DI unit is the Mighty Mite from Air, Water & Ice and I've only had it a few months. I used the water it makes on my old tank and never had any algae problems.

I use RO/DI water to topoff. Same stuff I use to make saltwater. I don't test for TDS as I don't have a TDS meter yet. One of those things I've been meaning to buy. But my RO/DI unit is the Mighty Mite from Air, Water & Ice and I've only had it a few months. I used the water it makes on my old tank and never had any algae problems.

Probably worth picking up a TDS meter, they are pretty cheap, and I use mine alot. I'm always checking my water. If it ever strays from 0, I fix things. Thats probably a little overboard, but it works for me. Better safe than sorry.

-Mike B)

I would suggest a sea hare. Once the GHA settled in the tank, it's very difficult to totally get rid of.

Closeup of the algae(?) where it is worst:

DSCF1595.jpg?t=1262570140

I would suggest a sea hare. Once the GHA settled in the tank, it's very difficult to totally get rid of.

I don't know about a sea hare. Besides, that wouldn't be solving the root cause of the algae. A sea hare would just be a temporary fix.

I've never used it before but I'm thinking about throwing the stock skimmer in to see what it does...

Are you telling me you've never used a skimmer on this tank? even the stock one, which btw, isn't so bad?

-Mike :o

Are you telling me you've never used a skimmer on this tank? even the stock one, which btw, isn't so bad?

-Mike :o

Nope, never used one. Been thinking about buying the Sapphire one or a Tunze 9002. Just haven't gotten to that purchase yet. Partially because I really don't know much about skimmers, other than that they have to "break-in" or something...??

Alrighty, I put the stock skimmer in and plugged it in and it's... skimming, I guess. I don't really know enough to know whether or not it's working correctly though.

Alrighty, I put the stock skimmer in and plugged it in and it's... skimming, I guess. I don't really know enough to know whether or not it's working correctly though.

Let it run with the cup all the way down, and empty it every few days, and clean the cup. Then after a week or so, move it up slightly. I prefer to run it with it down, and empty more(skim wet) then run it high, and empty less(skim dry) I think it will help you tremendously with your hair algae problem. It is Soooooo much easier to maintain a tank when running a skimmer.

I run the Warner marine H2X hang on skimmer on mine, Its rated @ 80Gallons. Much more than anything you can get in the back compartment of the Solana. But my tank is 95% SPS.

Personally, I feel a nice skimmer is as important as a nice light setup. those are the 2 most important pieces of hardware to a succesful reef tank, imo.

Keep in mind tho, you are only going to skim so well with the Sapphire, or Tunze. because they are limited in size by what will fit in the back of the Solana. But any upgrade, or even stock is much better than nothing at all.

-good luck, Mike :D

Archived