• Heater: 150w Stealth Pro
  • Rock: Appox. 35lbs
  • Substrate: 30lbs Aragonite .5-1mm
  • Flow: 2x Koralia 1's + 1 Vortech MP10
  • Skimmer: Tunze 9002
  • ATO: Tunze Osmolator 3155
  • RO/DI: Air, Water & Ice Mighty Mite 50gpd

Current Livestock:

• 2 Ocellaris Clowns (Amphiprion ocellaris)
  • 1 Purple Firefish (Nemateleotris decora)
  • 1 Pygmy Angelfish (Centropyge argi)
  • 1 Banggai Cardinal (Pterapogon kauderni)
  • 2 Sexy Shrimp (Thor amboinensis)
  • 1 Peppermint Shrimp (Lysmata wurdemanni)
  • 1 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)
  • 1 Porcelain Crab MIA since move
  • 4 Turbo Snails
  • Various Cerith, Dwarf Cerith and Nassarius snails

Corals:

• Frogspawn
  • GSP
  • Green Nepthea
  • Kenya Tree
  • Orange Montipora Capricornis
  • Purple Montipora Capricornis
  • Green w/brown polyp Montipora Capricornis
  • Duncanopsammia
  • Green Caulastrea
  • Green Ricordea Yuma's
  • Various Zoanthids

Previous Livestock

• Coral Beauty Angelfish - Died :(
  • Six-Line Wrasse - Got aggressive and had to be sold
  • Firefish - Just disappeared...
  • Mandarin - Died after about a month. These fish are harder to train than you think.
  • Chalk Bass - Disappeared...

Lighting Schedule:

• Metal Halide - 1PM-9PM

Vortech:

• ReefCrest Mode - 100% Throttle!

Miscellaneous:

• Water Changes - 4g once a week
  • Feed - Once a day (alternate between frozen mysis, frozen Hikari brine, Hikari Marine-S pellets, Formula Two small pellets, Tetra micro-crabs, and Formula One flake)
  • Salinity - 1.026SG

DOB: 11/18/09

Tank Moved: 9/16/10

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the tank arrived today! Here are a few pics from when I leak tested it.

Edit: I still have to build a stand. This is temporary.

IMG_1216.jpg?t=1255486625

IMG_1217.jpg?t=1255486638

IMG_1218.jpg?t=1255486649

IMG_1219.jpg?t=1255486659

IMG_1222.jpg?t=1255486669

IMG_1224.jpg?t=1255486679

Skimmer:

IMG_1226.jpg?t=1255486687

You getting the 18" bulb one? I would go 24" so you can get other bulbs besides Current! but that's just me hehe. I absolutely love Solana's, gorgeous, gorgeous!

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt

Nice, That seems like you got it pretty fast, who'd you order from, I've really considered lately upgrading to a solana from my 20H but what's holding me back is Im more of a sump guy instead of AIO and Im sure I could modify it but then that kinda defeats the purpose of getting one I suppose.

You getting the 18" bulb one? I would go 24" so you can get other bulbs besides Current! but that's just me hehe. I absolutely love Solana's, gorgeous, gorgeous!

Yeah I'm not too thrilled about the lack of bulbs for the Nova. But it was either that or metal halide. And I'd rather not deal with the heat of HQI. I would get a 24" fixture but it would overhang on either side of the tank and that would bug me. :lol:

Nice, That seems like you got it pretty fast, who you order from, I've really considered lately upgrading to a solana from my 20H but what's holding me back is Im more of a sump guy instead of AIO and Im sure I could modify it but then that kinda defeats the purpose of getting one I suppose.

I got it from PetSolutions.com. It's the only place I've seen online that sells the Solana tank separate from the stand. And it did arrive fast. Apparently their warehouse is just up in Ohio so it shipped on the 12th and I got it the next day.

SpankythePyro

also no such thing as a 24" NEP, maybe NE but not pro

also no such thing as a 24" NEP, maybe NE but not pro

Did not know that... that's silly!

I just wish Current would get their act together and make some better bulbs!

Did not know that... that's silly!

I just wish Current would get their act together and make some better bulbs!

Nice to see the setup. btw, the color with the NEP is better than I expected. Heres a pik of mine with my reefcleaner rocks, and a couple of Naked clowns(my daughter made me do it! lol).

-Mike B)

1012091744.jpg

Looks great Mike!

I got my Nova today. Unfortunately my Coralife Aqualight LED moonlight shipped separately and won't be here until the end of the week. So I won't be able to test that out. But the Nova works great!

IMG_1227.jpg?t=1255542655

IMG_1228.jpg?t=1255542668

IMG_1230.jpg?t=1255542678

IMG_1231.jpg?t=1255542688

A friend of mine has that same fixture over his Solana and he put two powerbrite LED strips strapped onto the sides of the light so he gets good shimmer. Just thought i'd toss that out there, it looks really cool!

hmm, are they whirrring? does it sound like they are catching? if so something is wrong.

It doesn't sound like there's a problem with them. They're just... really loud. I'll contact Current and see what they say.

It doesn't sound like there's a problem with them. They're just... really loud. I'll contact Current and see what they say.

ya, they're loud. But my old tank was loud too, so I'm used to it. But there has to be an easy upgrade to minimize the sound. Why don't you be the guinea pig, and try some different fans? ;)

You know what else is loud, is the skimmer. When I replaced mine with a Sapphire aquatics, the noise went almost to zero.

-Mike B)

ya, they're loud. But my old tank was loud too, so I'm used to it. But there has to be an easy upgrade to minimize the sound. Why don't you be the guinea pig, and try some different fans? ;)

You know what else is loud, is the skimmer. When I replaced mine with a Sapphire aquatics, the noise went almost to zero.

-Mike B)

I started to take it apart last night to see if I could replace the fans with some fairly quiet PC fans I have laying around. But it looked like it was going to be a little more complicated than I thought so I stopped. I may give it another go later. I'll take pics of the process if I do.

I haven't fired up the skimmer yet. I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm going to use it. I'd like to upgrade to the Sapphire one but I've spent enough money on this tank for the time being. :lol:

I started to take it apart last night to see if I could replace the fans with some fairly quiet PC fans I have laying around. But it looked like it was going to be a little more complicated than I thought so I stopped. I may give it another go later. I'll take pics of the process if I do.

I haven't fired up the skimmer yet. I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm going to use it. I'd like to upgrade to the Sapphire one but I've spent enough money on this tank for the time being. :lol:

Ya, lemme know about the fans. You do have to admit tho, the lights run pretty darn cool with the fans, huh? Also, The stock skimmer actually works pretty well, you should give it a try. Altho it does take a few days to break in. Yes, the Sapphire is better, but the stock one was better than I was expecting.

-Mike :)

Got a reply from Current about the fans in the Nova Extreme Pro:

Dear Matt,

Thank you for contacting Current-USA, Inc.

The fans in all fixtures will make some noise, you may want to check to ensure there are no packing materials lodged in the fan (you can also spray a small amount of WD40 in the fan to lube the sleeve.)

We have always had some customers prefer using a higher grade “silent-x” fan as well. They are expensive, but are easy to install and are completely silent. This fixture uses standard 3”x1”x1” fans.

Sincerely,

Current-USA, Inc.

So I guess there is nothing wrong with the unit and it's just me. But I think I will upgrade the fans to some other ones, probably SilenX. But aside from the noise I'm really happy with the unit. It puts out a sh!t ton of light without the problems of HQI.

Archived