SaltCritters.com

Clavius' 34g Solana

Clavius85

Added a Porcelain Crab. These guys are pretty cool to watch (when they're out in the open). They use these two arms to "scoop" the water for food and then eat what they catch.

DSCF1534.jpg?t=1259458738

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, things aren't going so well with my tank at the moment. Just recently I added a Coral Beauty. However, I did not quarantine it before putting it in the Solana... big mistake. I'm now battling a serious marine ich outbreak. The poor angel is covered in it and my six-line and one clown are starting to show signs of infection. So I had to make a decision on a course of treatment. My old 12g Aquapod was empty so I decided to put all the fish in it, along with some live rock and pvc pipe, and start a hyposalinity treatment. Now, I could have done this in the Solana. However I was afraid that I would lose all of my inverts if I did a hyposalinity treatment in there. And I couldn't catch the two shrimp and crab to put in the Aquapod. So now all the fish are in a much smaller tank. Fortunately they seem to have adjusted to the hyposalinity ok, a SG of 1.010. This probably wasn't the best course of action but it is the one I have taken and now I have to follow through with it. I'll have to keep a sharp eye on the parameters of the 12g and be ready to do daily water changes if necessary. I plan on keeping the fish in the 12g for at least 6 weeks. This will ensure that the fish will be parasite free and that the tank will be as well. Anyway, the moral of this story is always quarantine any new additions to your display tank.

I had the same problem with a small hippo tank. She had ich and ended up in a twelve gallon fish tank for a week.

She turned out ok.

EDIT: This was a very small hippo tank

Good luck bro!!! fingerscrossed

Sorry for the troubles!!!

Thanks! I'm going to need a lot of luck to get through this.

I had the same problem with a small hippo tank. She had ich and ended up in a twelve gallon fish tank for a week.

She turned out ok.

EDIT: This was a very small hippo tank

Glad your tang recovered. Unfortunately I have 4 fish in my 12g and it may not work out. I've been warned by a fellow reefer in my local club that my ammonia readings will probably be off the charts in the morning. I hope he's wrong but with my luck that's exactly what will happen.

Well all 4 fish are still alive in my 12g and I've been doing twice daily water changes to try to manage the ammonia level. Problem is that I can't tell exactly how much ammonia is in the water with this damn API test kit. Although I know that any amount is not good. So my options are: 1 - Leave the fish in the 12g and try to continue the hyposalinity treatment hoping that I can get the ammonia level down to zero. 2 - Put the fish back in the Solana and just hope that the ich goes away on its own. 3 - Put the fish back in the Solana and do a hyposalinity treatment in there despite the possibility of losing my inverts. 4 - Buy a larger tank to quarantine the fish in, like a 20L or 20H and throw an Aquaclear and a heater on it and continue hyposalinity treatment. What would you do and why?

I bought some API Ammo-Lock for the 12g. But I haven't used it yet since I don't know how it would affect the live rock I have in there with the fish. Any thoughts on this?

In catching the fish to put them in the 12g I messed up my aquascape. And unfortunately I couldn't get it back the way it was. So with the fish in the other tank I took the opportunity to completely re-do my aquascape. Here are two timelapse videos of the first try and then the current scape:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CHa0mpFNhc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIfnBp9Kd8Q

Well unfortunately this tank looks like trash at the moment. And I'm not exactly sure why either. All I did was take most of the rock out, catch the fish, and then put the rock back. I may have stirred up the sand a bit in the process but it looks like I'm having a major diatom outbreak or something. It's just this stringy brown stuff all over the place. I took a few pictures to illustrate:

FTS:

IMG_1341.jpg?t=1260311721

GSP rock all closed up:

IMG_1342.jpg?t=1260311772

Any ideas?

Also, I was bored yesterday and came up with this:

http://www.mnosam.com

I had an old laptop laying around with a dead screen. So I threw it under my stand with a cheap webcam attached to it. Still working on it to improve the quality...

I got the wood frame kit, as I broke the glass top it came with. Actually like it better since I don't need to remove the glass anymore to feed my tank.

Well, here she is all setup and running. Still waiting on my rock to arrive...

IMG_1287.jpg?t=1258333756

I may have to buy a 150w heater, though. I don't think the 100w I bought is powerful enough. Also, I ordered the wood frame top kit from Current. The glass top that came with the tank just wasn't going to work with Nova Extreme Pro.

SolanaFrameKits.jpg

I got the wood frame kit, as I broke the glass top it came with. Actually like it better since I don't need to remove the glass anymore to feed my tank.

I like it better too. All I have to do now is push my light back and then pull open the glass door. Whereas before I had to take the light off to get that glass top that came with it off.

how's the gsp doing?

Well it was doing great until it got covered in this algae. I haven't seen it open in a few days. -_-

So after seeing a local reefers tank that had MH lighting I'm now seriously considering selling my Nova Extreme Pro and going with a 250w Sunpod. That shimmer you get with MH is amazing. After seeing that it's hard to look at my tank with the T5's the same way again...

I did it! I ordered a 250w Sunpod! My bank account hates me!

Sweet, I did the same. Now which bulb to choose? I am running an aqualine 20K and the colors are simply amazing. But keep in mind its less light that the NEP. I also have a phoenix 14K and the stock 14K, but haven't popped either of them in yet to compare. Also, I will be getting a pair of Evil's sunpod LED's. And may then try popping in the Phoenix 14K. But in short, I absolutely love the Aqualine 20K. Oh keep in mind, you're gonna want to use an AZOO fan on the back blowing down between your new light and the water(i use a 4x, but if I did it again would opt for a 2x). Otherwise this light will rise your temps a couple degrees while it is on.

good luck, Mike

Sweet, I did the same. Now which bulb to choose? I am running an aqualine 20K and the colors are simply amazing. But keep in mind its less light that the NEP. I also have a phoenix 14K and the stock 14K, but haven't popped either of them in yet to compare. Also, I will be getting a pair of Evil's sunpod LED's. And may then try popping in the Phoenix 14K. But in short, I absolutely love the Aqualine 20K. Oh keep in mind, you're gonna want to use an AZOO fan on the back blowing down between your new light and the water(i use a 4x, but if I did it again would opt for a 2x). Otherwise this light will rise your temps a couple degrees while it is on.

good luck, Mike

I wonder if having the wood frame kit with the glass top will make a difference heat-wise.

I have the 150w Sunpod and the 108w NEP. Definitely the sunpod. Shimmer is amazing

Nice. I want the shimmer!

Move the gsp up on the rock work in a higher flow area for the time being (it will help keep that algae off).

Your tank just looks to be cycling again.

Coral Beauty is dead. Not sure why. Water parameters test out perfect and the other fish seem fine. Maybe I just stressed it out too much. I don't know. Anyway it's a bummer because I love the Centropyge angels. But I won't get another one. I'm going to stick with the fish I have for awhile. And then maybe at some point down the road I'd like to try training a mandarin to eat frozen food. Mandarins are possibly my favorite fish. But I'm well aware of the issues relating to their care. So we'll see...

In other news my Sunpod should arrive later this week. When it does I'll post pics.

-Matt

Archived