Cultivated Reef

Clavius' 34g Solana

Clavius85

Sunpod arrived! This thing is too cool. I'm a metal halide convert... until I can afford an LED fixture (in 20 years!).

IMG_1372.jpg?t=1260997312

IMG_1373.jpg?t=1260997324

IMG_1374.jpg?t=1260997334

IMG_1375.jpg?t=1260997346

IMG_1377.jpg?t=1260997362

Pics of it on the tank later.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wondering how the stock 14K looks? I have a stock 14K,a phoenix 14K,and a aqualine 20K, the aqualine is the only one I have tried, and I love it. Post some pix so we can see the color, i'm curious?

thanks, Mike B)

Awesome, always wondered what a sunpod looked like on a hardwood floor... lol :P

:lol:

Wondering how the stock 14K looks? I have a stock 14K,a phoenix 14K,and a aqualine 20K, the aqualine is the only one I have tried, and I love it. Post some pix so we can see the color, i'm curious?

thanks, Mike B)

The stock bulb looks pretty good to me. But I have nothing else to compare it to. So it could look like crap and I wouldn't know! :lol:

I'll try and get a shot of it on the tank. I'm just embarrassed at the state my tank is in at the moment. :mellow:

:lol:

The stock bulb looks pretty good to me. But I have nothing else to compare it to. So it could look like crap and I wouldn't know! :lol:

I'll try and get a shot of it on the tank. I'm just embarrassed at the state my tank is in at the moment. :mellow:

Just send the pik to me, i wont tell anybody else! haha.... Actually, I'll see if I can get a shot of mine with the aqualine 20K, hopefully 2nite. btw, let me know how the 14K MH light intensity(brightness) compares to the T5. FWIW, the 20K is not as bright, but colors are amazing. And my corals seem to be growing well. (you'd think i could compare myself, but I'm afraid I'll just leave the 14K in! and piss off my corals, cuz there used to the 20K)hhaha...

-Mike :D

-Mike

LebaneseDlight

Looking good, but not as nice as the Solana picture on pg 4 with the 4 pairs of clowns :huh: (lol, I'm sure someone has commented on that before, but I never noticed it and wow that's pretty ridiculous on the part of Current USA).

I'm finding that the Sunpod and Nova Extreme Pro both have their pros and cons. One major annoyance with the Sunpod is that it doesn't quite fit on the Solana with the wood trim top. I don't want to hang it so I'll have to play with it and maybe "fix" it to make it fit correctly. Also, the Sunpod doesn't cover as much area as the Nova did. Which makes sense because the Nova is a much wider fixture. So I liked the Nova in that respect. And the Nova also seemed brighter, but that may have just been because the light was spread out over a larger area due to the width of the unit. But one major reason I switched to the Sunpod is not only lack of bulb choices for the Nova, but also the cost factor. To replace all 6 bulbs in the Nova would cost around $100. And when you take into account the fact that T5's really only last about 8-12 months I wasn't too thrilled about having to pay so much money yearly to keep the Nova running optimally. Yes, a new HQI lamp costs about $50-70. Not much cheaper, but still a significant difference to me. Especially when you can choose from many different lamps and colors.

Overall despite the size of the ballast (thing is HUGE, I had no idea), the fact that it doesn't fit right on the Solana wood trim top, the amount of heat it puts out, and how much more electricity it uses (debatable?)... I'd say I like the Sunpod more than the Nova Extreme Pro. Don't get me wrong, the Nova is a GREAT fixture and there is nothing wrong with it if you don't mind the lack of bulb choices and the cost to replace them. Hopefully I'll be able to sell the Nova locally. If not, I'll put it up here in the classifieds and reluctantly ship it.

Sweet, how are you liking the color of the 14K vs the color of the NEP?

-Mike B)

I like it. I'm thinking a 20k might be too blue for me. But I plan on eventually getting a 14k Phoenix bulb as I've read so many good things about them.

I like it. I'm thinking a 20k might be too blue for me. But I plan on eventually getting a 14k Phoenix bulb as I've read so many good things about them.

I think it depends on your taste, i was expecting my aqualine 20K to be much bluer than it is. My friends has a Radium SE 20K, and it is way bluer than the Aqualine. But its kinda like comparing apples to oranges, cuz ballasts matter in the way a bulb looks + SE vs. DE matters too. I will throw in my Phoenix 14K soon, and let you know what I think.

-Mike

Firefish seems to have disappeared. No clue what has happened to it. It couldn't have jumped out as I have the lid on the tank. I'm not having good luck with fish lately...

Well I found a nice Purple Firefish at my LFS. And as you can see I'm having a bit of a GHA problem. At least I think it's GHA. I got behind on my water changes. But now that I'm back on schedule hopefully it will go away in time.

IMG_1386.jpg?t=1261883353

IMG_1400.jpg?t=1261883507

Well things aren't going so great with my tank at the moment. I'm battling what is either GHA or bryopsis. I'm not sure what it is and I don't really know what the cause could be. Here are some pics:

IMG_1411.jpg

IMG_1409.jpg

IMG_1407.jpg

IMG_1405.jpg

Definitely not a fun time in the maturing of a reef tank. I went through it and I'm sure you did in your other tank(s); probably everyone here has. I tried everything and finally beat it. Good luck.

looks like Hair algae. emerald crabs ftw

Emeralds are hit and miss, keep that in mind. My last one also took a liking to my soft corals! Don't worry he's is happy in heaven! HA.... A small lawnmower blenny will do a much better job on Hair Algae, imo.

good luck, Mike :D

Archived