Coral Vue Hydros

75gal planted/ sand flats

D3monic

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks to Diane.B and her fish trap I was able to remove one of my anthias and transfer my scooters to the 75gal. I was lucky enough to witness yet another spawn from them and managed to collect a good portion of eggs before the tailspot and the other anthias demolished them. I have just a couple lil prolarvae going in the kriesel and a butt load of eggs. I got carried away with rotifer densitys....I only removed a gallon from my culture and split it between my 75 and the kriesel. I ended up with a thick mud of rots on the surface of both tanks. I am supprised they are at those densitys all ready. I just set the culture up a couple days ago. I wasnt even expecting the shipment I got to survive shipping but it sure did. Thanks to Chris, Barb and Peka for the starter cultures. Nothing beats a little biodiversity. The blueberry gorg was happy for the treat as well. Got to see some serious polyp extension. I also had a milestone with the smaller pipefish. He repeatedly visited the fish trap to munch on some cyclopeeze for the first confirmed time. In all I would say that while I was sitting there "fishing" Both pipes ventured in atleast a dozen or more times to gorg themselves. *Snicker (larger one) and *Doodle (smaller one) will here by be thier names.

animalmaster6
Thanks to Diane.B and her fish trap I was able to remove one of my anthias and transfer my scooters to the 75gal. I was lucky enough to witness yet another spawn from them and managed to collect a good portion of eggs before the tailspot and the other anthias demolished them. I have just a couple lil prolarvae going in the kriesel and a butt load of eggs. I got carried away with rotifer densitys....I only removed a gallon from my culture and split it between my 75 and the kriesel. I ended up with a thick mud of rots on the surface of both tanks. I am supprised they are at those densitys all ready. I just set the culture up a couple days ago. I wasnt even expecting the shipment I got to survive shipping but it sure did. Thanks to Chris, Barb and Peka for the starter cultures. Nothing beats a little biodiversity. The blueberry gorg was happy for the treat as well. Got to see some serious polyp extension. I also had a milestone with the smaller pipefish. He repeatedly visited the fish trap to munch on some cyclopeeze for the first confirmed time. In all I would say that while I was sitting there "fishing" Both pipes ventured in atleast a dozen or more times to gorg themselves. *Snicker (larger one) and *Doodle (smaller one) will here by be thier names.

Sounds like you've been busy!

We need pix of the Scooters :D

Very nice tank! Ive been planning on doing a tank similar to yours with pipe fish for awhile now.

Do you dose anything like iodine or do anything special to keep all the macros happy?

I was dosing Nitrogen until I got some fish in. Every once in a while I dose a lil bit of iron but I dont test for it so i don't do it regularly.

I have a butt load of Oxynoe in my 75gal. I just counted atleast 5 that I see. They feed on Calerpa. I pulled out my SeaHare so he wouldnt compete with them for food. That and he was demolishing my C. Mexicana. PICS

IMG_1902.jpg

IMG_1899.jpg

IMG_1788.jpg

Yes I have they are Oxynoe Antillarum Gulf Coast strain. I probably got them as Hitchhikers on a C.Mexicana order from Gulf coast ecosystems.

heres a bunch more pics. I am worried that these may reach plague proportions in a short time. They just popped up in my tank two days ago and they are allready laying eggs all over and are crawling around everywhere. I am VERY interested in documenting thier development and such though.

IMG_1916.jpg

IMG_1919.jpg

IMG_1920.jpg

IMG_1915.jpg

Yes I have they are Oxynoe Antillarum Gulf Coast strain. I probably got them as Hitchhikers on a C.Mexicana order from Gulf coast ecosystems.

Hey D3monic! Len here from uberfrags. Found this forum as a comment on reef builders on a sea grass thread today. What can ya do with those Oxynoe Antillarum ? I'll swing by and get some eggs from ya and put them in a tank. I'm doing a class with Ron Shimek at reefstewardshipfoundation.org on invert breeding and might use those as a subject. Great tank! AND WHAT IS THE PURPLE BALLED GORGONIAN like thing ON PAGE 12?

Thanks

Its a blueberry gorg. Len if you stop by I will give you a few egg clusters and a couple of the adult Oxynoe for your project. Let me know when you would want to stop by. Most of the clusters are on mexicana leaves so it would be easy to give you some.

Looks like the ones on the glass are starting to get active. You can see them moving around in this video.

I picked up some ghost shrimp yesterday. The pipes had a blast picking on them. They where way too big for them to be eaten but the pipes sure tried. Surprisingly they are still alive in the tank. I put about a dozen in a small tank for them to breed so I can harvest the larvae for them. I also had a ground breaking occasion today. The hunting of the shrimp spurred their interest in frozen mysis. Snicker (big one) ate a few pieces even though it took a few tries to get it down. Worried me for a second that it was stuck. Doodle is still too small to even try to eat them. I am still working on doodle to eat cyclopeeze more often. Even though doodle was the one who was picking on the ghosts the most ferociously. I can't wait until the LFS gets thier order of H20 life mini mysis in.

animalmaster6
I picked up some ghost shrimp yesterday. The pipes had a blast picking on them. They where way too big for them to be eaten but the pipes sure tried. Surprisingly they are still alive in the tank. I put about a dozen in a small tank for them to breed so I can harvest the larvae for them. I also had a ground breaking occasion today. The hunting of the shrimp spurred their interest in frozen mysis. Snicker (big one) ate a few pieces even though it took a few tries to get it down. Worried me for a second that it was stuck. Doodle is still too small to even try to eat them. I am still working on doodle to eat cyclopeeze more often. Even though doodle was the one who was picking on the ghosts the most ferociously. I can't wait until the LFS gets thier order of H20 life mini mysis in.

Seems like the pipes are coming along!

Pics soon?

Archived