Top Shelf Aquatics

Megability's BioCube29 Build Thread

megability

megability

Well the Jenners Cowry has moved on to a different head of trumpet coral now, and the previous one looks like it's actually repaired itself pretty good, we'll see...

Thanks yoshii and maocdroid, I use a Canon T2i, it's awesome, 18megapixels and full HD video too - see video of my Yasha Goby and Candy Stripe Pistol Shrimp linked earlier up...

Well, it's been 2 weeks and the Jenners Cowry has eaten 2 small heads of trumpet coral, of which I probably have 40+ heads of. So I guess I'm ok with that, not too worried, and worst case scenario is I start buying or trading for cheap ugly frags of coral for him to munch on...

Crazy, my green bubble tip anemone managed to climb over the back, completely out of the water, and is now in the 'fuge in the back (or could he possibly squeeze through the water flow grates?)

At any rate, he's back there now, weird 'cause I just fed him too - maybe he didn't like being "force fed" :P

wow you have a beautiful tank .....how many fish do you have in that 28 g cause i am getting a 29 soon and have been told you cant have more than 4 fish ?? i was thinking 2 clowns a cardinal and cant decide what else ??

Thanks evo and bsdryder, I am up to 6 fish in there now but I think they're all fairly small bio-load, at least small anyway; Tomato Clown, Tail-Spot Blenny, Six-Line Wrasse, Arc-Eyed Hawkfish, Yasha Goby, and a small Half-Bar Goby that lives upside down under the rock overhangs...

I was using a little AiptasiaX to melt a couple small pest anemones I get from time to time (not Aiptasia nor Majanos I don't think) and I noticed it works well on melting overgrowing Green Star Polyp Coral too... :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally got my tank a VorTech MP-10, it replaces two Koralia 1s so that should cut the heat buildup a little too.

So far the thing is awesome, I think I like the Nutrient Export and Reef Crest mode the best, and it seems like I can turn it almost all the way up without any problems, except the fish trying to swim properly :P

I picked up a head of Firecracker Coral (Dendrophylia species) which are an amazing orange-yellow, but are a type of coral which does not rely on light for energy, purely what it catches to eat, and I've read they can eat a lot.

Dendrophylia%20Coral%204181.jpg

So, the first thing I did was to offer this guy a full mysis shrimp, which he ate right up - lookin' good so far...

(if the picture looks a little distorted it's because there's a plastic bottle over the coral to protect the food from lurking nassarius snails, and the strong current)

Dendrophylia%20Coral%204142.jpg

Dendrophylia%20Coral%204145.jpg

Dendrophylia%20Coral%204150.jpg

Dendrophylia%20Coral%204169.jpg

I noticed the Pom-Pom Crab lurking under a rock overhang (what's new?) but on closer inspection he seemed to be pulling out of his shell, through the back. I thought I had caught him in the act of molting so I took this shot.

Pom-Pom%20Nassarius%204157.jpg

However, an hour or so later he was "pounced" on by 3 Nassarius Snails, so I am guessing he died - maybe from a molt gone wrong? or maybe it was just his time, I have had him almost 2 years... At any rate, RIP Pom-Pom Crab, he was fun to watch...

Pom-Pom%20Nassarius%204179.jpg

I did "rescue" the little Ball Anemone the Pom-Pom Crab was carrying around, and placed it right in the front to watch, and I fed it :D

Ball%20Anemone%204194.jpg

Edited by megability

My first SPS, an Acropora frag I got for free. Not too colorful under the BioCube's stock 36w power compact florescents, but doin' just fine...

Acropora%20Coral%204286.jpg

Another couple shots of the Firecracker Coral. I've been feedin' him every day or so now, cant wait for him to start sproutin' more heads...

Dendrophyllia%20Coral%204208.jpg

New Macro Lens :D

Dendrophyllia%20Coral%204370.jpg

Edited by megability
Coastie5685

Looks awesome. Need someone like u to come tske some sweet lookin pics of my tank.

So uve got all that corak doing that well over stock biocube lighting?

Looks awesome. Need someone like u to come tske some sweet lookin pics of my tank.

So uve got all that corak doing that well over stock biocube lighting?

Thanks. Yea, still using the stock BioCube setup, 36w actinic and 36w 10,000 bulb, changed every 9 months or so...