Top Shelf Aquatics

Megability's BioCube29 Build Thread

megability

Got a better shot......

He's much more active today, exploring the whole tank and no longer frightened by the Six-Lined Wrasse or Tomato Clown - they're buds now :)

Tailspot%20Blenny%204438.jpg

Edited by megability

And just for completeness sake, here's my Skunk Cleaner Shrimp - I can't put my hand in the tank now without him comin' over to investigate and start picking at me - but hey you never know, I may have ich :P

Skunk%20Cleaner%20Shrimp%204412.jpg

Edited by megability
  • 3 weeks later...
Got a better shot......

He's much more active today, exploring the whole tank and no longer frightened by the Six-Lined Wrasse or Tomato Clown - they're buds now :)

Tailspot%20Blenny%204438.jpg

Nice Setup. Looking good. Nice "Tailspot Blenny". Must have missed that page the first time.

Edited by TheStar
  • 4 weeks later...

Things have been going good for a while, but I wanted to do a full water test, here are the results:

Temperature: 78.5 (usually between 77 - 79, Coralife digital thermometer)

Specific Gravity/Salinity: 1.026-27, 34-36 (refractometer)

PH: 8.2 (API test)

Magnesium: 1240 ppm (Tropic Marin test)

Calcium: 500 ppm (API test)

Calcium: 400 ppm (Tropic Marin test)

Alkalinity: 11 dKH (API)

Ammonia: 0 ppm (API)

Nitrite: 0 ppm (API)

Nitrate: 0 ppm (API)

Phosphate: 0 - 0.5 ppm (API, hard to distinguish color changes)

- Looks like I need to up the magnesium a little if Tropic Marin is right by saying magnesium content in natural seawater is about 1280-1320 ppm ...

For several months I have seen this algae growing along the back top of my LR (still working on the name)

It grows staggered in several layers and really slow. It's definitely cool looking, and looks great under actinics too...

ID%20Algae%205266.jpg

ID%20Algae%205329.jpg

Edited by megability

Pom-Pom Crab, also called Boxer Crabs cause they like to cruise around with small anemones in their grips and wave 'em around...

Pom-Pom%20Crab%205177.jpg

Pom-Pom%20Crab%205279.jpg

Pom-Pom%20Crab%205287.jpg

Edited by megability
Wow love the tank - would you mind listing your livestock i want to see what you have in there

Thanks, a few posts back I listed everything at the time, not too much has changed except a few new snails and a small red candy stripe pistol shrimp which I have yet to see again :( Hopefully I will get some pictures soon...

Tail Spot Blenny

He's gotten a little larger as is certainly more active, as you can see he's been eating plenty of algae :P

I'm gonna get him some Nori to chomp on soon...

Tailspot%20Blenny%205256.jpg

Edited by megability

Tub's Blue Zoanthids

3 heads have turned into 8 in only a couple months :) I can't wait to get a whole patch of these blue guys...

Zoanthids%20Tub

Edited by megability

Tanks looks great, I love that half barred goby, really cool. I just got a Citron Clown Goby, he's so cool, just hangs out in my leather coral all day.How did you make your sig? All I've been able to get is just a link as mine.

Tanks looks great, I love that half barred goby, really cool. I just got a Citron Clown Goby, he's so cool, just hangs out in my leather coral all day.How did you make your sig? All I've been able to get is just a link as mine.

Thanks, yeah the Half-Barred goby is cool, and fast. He lurks upside down in the shadows all day, then darts out for a piece of food and then back just as fast. My Green Clown Goby is cool too, he has about 3 perching spots he rotates between every 5 minutes or so. I am trying to fatten him up a little; even though he eats all the time, he looks to be getting a little skinny. It's funny when he nails a large piece of mysis shrimp and carries it back to his spot to gnaw on it for a few minutes, but sometimes the Tomato clown steals it from him...

For my signature, I made it in Photoshop. I noticed 680x80 pixels was about the width of this website's pages and just made an image to fit that size. Saved as a .jpg and added to my profile, somewhere there is the option to add it into your signature. Good luck.

Just a suggestion, if you haven't already, try putting the GSP's by themselves on the sand away from everything else. I had my GSP's on a rock and they took over the tank - they spread/grow like weeds.

Just a suggestion, if you haven't already, try putting the GSP's by themselves on the sand away from everything else. I had my GSP's on a rock and they took over the tank - they spread/grow like weeds.

I had to do the same with my pulsing xenia.

• 1 month later...

Tailspot Blenny, still going strong - I have had him now for just about 4 months, which apparently seems to be their typical cut-off range, so I am crossing my fingers - He is still very active though, but has shown no interest in some green seaweed I have put in for him a couple of times...

Tailspot%20Blenny%205721.jpg

Edited by megability
  • 3 weeks later...
megability

Tail Spot Blenny has ALMOST outgrown his favorite hole, it's hilarious to watch him try and back into it, he either needs to go on diet or find a new hole...

megability

Well my Rose Bubble Tip Anemone finally split after 6 months or so, and only NOW the Tomato Clown decided to snuggle up in the new half, interesting...

Question: do Torch Corals pull in for a while when they're in the process of splitting, or maybe just the phase of calcifying the new splits? Mine have this week - I hope it's not the water that's bugging them...

• 4 months later...

1 Year+ Update

Well, my BioCube29 tank has been going strong for over a year now, so here is the latest full tank shot...

FTS%201323.jpg

-> Link to larger version, 2000 x 1500 pixels <-

Full Tank Shot at "Dusk" - just actinics...

FTS%201326.jpg

Six-Line Wrasse, Tomato Clown, and Tail Spot Blenny all going the same way...

Fish%201146.jpg

Toxic Waste Trumpet Coral under actinics - this thing has grown so fast I've had to frag it a couple times, and then they've even tripled in size...

Toxic%20Waste%20Trumpet%20Coral%201174.jpg

Here's one of the new Trumpet Coral frags on the other side of the tank, along with the hitchhiker "Bam-Bam" Zoanthids spreading out nicely, and my first Montipora growing huge - you can also see a green Montipora I added recently up top...

1318.jpg

I also recently added a purple Montipora frag - here's a cool shot of it, with yet another Trumpet Coral frag in the background

1193.jpg

Green Clown Goby on the lookout...

Clown%20Goby1207.jpg

Tail-Spot Blenny and Six-Line Wrasse in a standoff (not really - they get along fine)

Fish%201226.jpg

Tomato Clown in his Rose Bubble-Tip Anemone home...

Clown%20Fish%20Anemone%201315.jpg

Eagle-Eye Zoanthids filling in nicely...

Zoanthids%20Eagle%20Eyes%201253.jpg

Another good shot of the Tail-Spot Blenny on the move...

Tailspot%20Blenny%201197.jpg

Edited by megability