Cultivated Reef

Megability's BioCube29 Build Thread

megability

Bump on an old thread, just found it. Beautiful pics, and congrats on the success of your BC29. Sorry if you already mentioned, but what camera and lens are you using? I love the variety of critters, very nice. Any recent good FTS's? How old is it now? What supplimental equipment, skimmer, fuge, etc., if any? Or just point me to the correct thread page. Thanks!

Thanks Ghosty, and appreciate the bump ;)

Tank is going on 2.5 years now, and still going strong, even beat some algae growth back again recently, still no skimmer, just still running a small inTank Media Basket and 'fuge in the back with Chemi-pure Elite and a growing ball of Cheato algae. I use Reef Crystals salt and dose 2 capfuls of Kent's A, B, and Magnesium every day or so in between monthly water changes. I also use the Vortech MP10 powerhead which is great, but that's about it for equipment and chemicals...

The recent half of pictures were taken with a Canon T2i which is an awesome camera, 18mexapixels and HD video, I love it. I mainly just use the stock lens but I got a 60mm macro lens recently for a few of the shots, mostly the 2 Dendrophyllia coral pictures, but it's kind of hard to use, really sensitive.

I just moved 100 miles but the tank's all set back up almost exactly the same now, just chipped some Montipora in the process but it grows back fast...

I have a ton of new photos to post, hopefully soon, thanks for stopping by and come back soon :)

Edited by megability
  • Like 1

Right on, cool. The Orange Sun coral, Firecracker, & Dendro coral pics are very pretty. I have the same camera. Hopefully can get the nice Canon 100mm Macro by the time I start my build, saving up $500 for that lens, ugh.

Edited by Ghosty
  • 1 month later...

Finally after about 7 months my Firecracker Coral (Dendrophylia) is sprouting 4 or 5 tiny heads around the bottom, awesome! I probably could have target fed him a little more often, I usually target feed about 2 or 3 times a week...

Hard to get a good shot of the new sprouts, but here's a cool top down shot, I can almost hear "feed me!" :D

Dendrophylia%20Coral%207649.jpg

Edited by megability

I picked up a Coco Worm (Protula bispiralis) today, something I have wanted for a long time. Certainly one of the most prettiest worms out there, here's some pics...

Coco%20Worm%207601.jpg

Coco%20Worm%207616.jpg

Coco%20Worm%207622.jpg

Coco%20Worm%207628.jpg

Did some coral trimming today, mainly to open up some areas in the center that both the Montiporas had pretty much completely blocked light to. I want my killer orange Bam-Bam and Tub's Blue Zoanthids to come back as fully as they once were. Here's a full tank shot now and the link to a much bigger version...

FTS%207603.jpg

--> Link to 2,000 x 1,500 Version

• Like 1

Got a new Porcelain Crab, the typical white with rusty colored guys, but here's a shot of my current Porcelain Crab doin' his thing under a rock ledge...

Porcelain%20Crab%207994.jpg

...or if you want so see him upside down :P

Porcelain%20Crab%207994b.jpg

Thanks all for the compliments.

Here's a closeup of my Arc-Eyed Hawkfish, he's a lurker... Was gonna enter this one in this month's photo contest for "Faces", but I picked a different one instead, go check it out and vote! :D

Arc-Eyed%20Hawkfish%208001.jpg

• Wow 1

beautiful tank great growth !!!

im totally gonna get that 60mm lens for my cannon t2i ur photos are awesome. any chance you mind saying how much you paid for it?

do you use any other special setting or use av mode?

Thanks, actually most of these shots are with the stock lens on the T2i, the 60mm Macro is really hard to use since it's so sensitive. Amazon is probably your best bet if you want to get one though, where I got mine, Link Here

• 3 months later...

I finally added a protein skimmer, something I really should have done years ago to help keep organic waste down and reduce annoying algae growth. I chose the Aquaticlife 115 which fits nicely in the first chamber in the back. The BioCube skimmer is totally worthless as anyone who has tried it knows, but this one has gotten great reviews. Check out this link here on Nano-Reef as a guide to installing one in a BioCube if you are interested.

www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=237995

• 4 weeks later...
megability
Right on. You get pretty decent skimmate with your skimmer?

It's been pullin' about a cupload of dark green a week now, so I'd say yea, it's gotta help...

OMG such a beautiful tank I'm in the process of piecing together a bc29 setup and if I can get mine to look half as good as yours I'll be happy.

Now I need to find a cheap T2i on eBay.

• 5 months later...