Cultivated Reef

Megability's BioCube29 Build Thread

megability

My latest addition, a small frag of orange Carnation Coral - I have read these are pretty hard to take care of, but I am willing to give it a try - any recommendations?

Carnation%20Coral%201311.jpg

Edited by megability

...just noticed my green emerald crab (no picture yet) clipping off chunks of this cool translucent red macro algae in the tank (post #56) and gluing them to his hairy legs... weird.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey, tanks looking good man!

I think that Carnation Coral is NPS, so dosing something like phyto feast would be helpful.

Edited by patrickbush
  • 3 months later...

I finally got me a Yasha Goby to pair with my Candy Stripe Pistol Shrimp which has been doing good, although rarely seen, for about 6 months now...

After acclimation, the goby swam around in the open water for a while, I got this nice pic, and then he settled right in to a hole which either she knew, or by luck, was right where the shrimp lived. In just a few minutes they were both popping their heads out, so I'm gonna consider the pairing a success :D

Yasha%20Goby%202372.jpg

Edited by megability

I got lucky with my hi-fin finding the pistol right from the get go. How do you like the tail spot? I'm thinking that or a type of wrasse for my final fish and just seeing what people think.

msujeff; nice, and I love my Tail-Spot Blenny, he's a real character. He always has that stupid/confused look on his face and he gets frightened easily back to his hole which he can barely squeeze into :P but he's out cruising the water and picking algae off of rocks like 95% of the time. And they're really a beautiful fish. You might consider a Six-Line Wrasse, mine gets along pretty good with everyone, and he's a character too always checking out every nook and cranny constantly, real curious about everything...

Mushmello; Thanks! Lighting is just stock Biocube29, which is 2x 36watts, and my lighting schedule is actinics for 12 hours, 11am to 11pm, and the 10,000ks come on in between for 10 hours, noon to 10pm, to get that sunrise/sunset effect. I mainly feed Rod's food, Cyclopeeze, Formula1/2 gel cubes, Rod's fish eggs, and sometimes Dainichi pellets, all varied randomly, every other day or so although I think I am gonna feed a little more often because my Green Clown Goby always looks skinny, a little too skinny, although he's been doing good for over a year now...

googoomas; Clown Gobies ARE rad! ;)

Check out this 1080p FULL HD video I took of my BioCube, make sure you select the best quality if your graphics can handle it, and fullscreen it! Hope you enjoy...

Edited by megability

Ok, this is pretty ugly!, but I wanted to share to help others. I starting picking out more and more hair algae after almost a year without hardly any, which really started to piss me off as I am sure some of you know. Then I read a huge 50-page post about using Kent's Tech-M magnesium as a deterrent to hair algae, and keeping the level real high. It had to be Kent's apparently, but seemed to be working for a lot of people. Well I got some Kents, but went on vacation the week I was going to start using it, and this is how bad the hair algae got, but I figured it would be a good (really bad) starting place to start the Kents experiment...

Rest assured my tank no longer looks like this, I have barely any hair algae now thankfully, but I an not sure spiking Kent's magnesium was necessarily the main cure, because I also started running granulated ferric oxide (GFO) in a separate bag than regular Chemi-Pure, and I also started sifting my sand at water changes a lot more, so, hope that helps any of you with hair algae problems...

FTS%20Hair%20Algae%206471.jpg

Purple Montipora, as you can see in a previous post #75, I actually broke the frag in half putting it in, but just super-glued the two halves together and it healed just fine, it's actually grown a lot more since this picture too...

Montipora%20Purple%201731.jpg

Last October I got a small frag of some Zoanthids called "Blue Orgasms". They looked awesome, even brighter than "Tub's Blues" and have really grown in now, what'ya think? They have amazing skirts, even my Pom-Pom Crab loves 'em :P

Zoanthids%20Blue%20Orgasms%201330.jpg

Zoanthids%20Blue%20Orgasms%201713.jpg

Zoanthids%20Blue%20Orgasms%201806.jpg

Zoanthids%20Blue%20Orgasms%202317.jpg

Zoanthids%20Blue%20Orgasms%202433e.jpg

Zoanthids%20Blue%20Orgasms%202433d.jpg

Edited by megability
I finally got me a Yasha Goby to pair with my Candy Stripe Pistol Shrimp which has been doing good, although rarely seen, for about 6 months now...

After acclimation, the goby swam around in the open water for a while, I got this nice pic, and then he settled right in to a hole which either she knew, or by luck, was right where the shrimp lived. In just a few minutes they were both popping their heads out, so I'm gonna consider the pairing a success :D

Yasha%20Goby%202372.jpg

I got the same candy strip pistol paired with a barber goby and their pair in about an hour after swimming in the open.

Do you still have the sexy shrimps on the tank along whit the pistol? I want to buy some sexys but im afraid something will happens to them with my pistol, BTW your tank looks amazing and thats the way I want my BC29 look like on a couple more months

Thanks reef-luva. I HAD one Rose Bubble Tip Anemone, but he got big and split, then one half started roaming the tank for a new spot to settle, so I gave him to a friend. Then I got a Green Bubble Tip Anemone, and I'll share some pictures of him soon...

Yes, the Green Clown Goby is cool, he eats anything meaty and small, like Cyclop-Eeze, and he really like Rod's fish eggs...

gdlyorchi, I had several Sexy Shrimp at one point, but I think they just lived the course of their life and started dieing off after about 9 months to a year. (unless someone thinks they live a lot longer than that?) They are pretty cool though and I miss them. Thanks for the compliments.

• 1 month later...

I got a new tank-mate today, an Arc-Eyed Hawkfish. I have wanted a Hawkfish for a while but knew they are very territorial, can be aggressive, and are a "percher" like the little Green Clown Goby who just died. So now that he is no longer competition or maybe a meal, I picked one of these up. Very colorful around the eyes!

Arc-Eyed%20Hawkfish%202758.jpg

Arc-Eyed%20Hawkfish%202751.jpg

Arc-Eyed%20Hawkfish%202756.jpg

Not what I was expecting, the seemingly least aggressive fish in my tank, the Tail-Spot Blenny went nuts when he saw the Arc-Eyed, turning all pale, back to deep purple, and confronting him all over the tank for a while. They even got into it a few times, notice the Tail-Spot's bitemarks 'cause the Arc-Eyed was havin' none of that and can certainly fight back...

Arc-Eyed%20Hawkfish%202757.jpg

Edited by megability

Thanks, keydiver - You take enough, you're bound to get some good ones :)

Under constant harassment from the Tail-Spot, the Arc-Eyed went to go hide in some Montipora folds on the other side of the tank, but the Tail-Spot found him pretty quick...

Arc-Eyed%20Hawkfish%202771.jpg

Arc-Eyed%20Hawkfish%202787.jpg

Arc-Eyed%20Hawkfish%202788.jpg

Arc-Eyed%20Hawkfish%202779.jpg

Edited by megability