ReefCleaners.org

DIY 6 GALLON AIO SPS/LPS PICO! RICH FOLKS NEED NOT APPLY!

scooternerd

I'm using t5's so I'm not worried about the heat, but I found some UV resistant acrylic at Home Depot that I've never seen before that I'll be using for it.

how much was a sheet???

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm using t5's so I'm not worried about the heat, but I found some UV resistant acrylic at Home Depot that I've never seen before that I'll be using for it.

t5's still produce heat. just not as much as other lights ;)

how much was a sheet???

I think it was around 10 bucks for a piece that would be adequate for a lid for this tank. It was made by Lexan I believe? Anyway, on the protective sheet is said that it was UV resistant.

t5's still produce heat. just not as much as other lights ;)

Thanks, I've never used T5's before, but thats what I've heard. How does the bulb combo look on the tank you've got it hooked up to right now? Do you like the color temp?

I think it was around 10 bucks for a piece that would be adequate for a lid for this tank. It was made by Lexan I believe? Anyway, on the protective sheet is said that it was UV resistant.

Thanks, I've never used T5's before, but thats what I've heard. How does the bulb combo look on the tank you've got it hooked up to right now? Do you like the color temp?

it looks pretty good as of now. wont truly know until i get corals under it.

are you speaking of the GE lexan at lowes? i think its only an 1/8" thick!

it looks pretty good as of now. wont truly know until i get corals under it.

are you speaking of the GE lexan at lowes? i think its only an 1/8" thick!

I'm not sure, I didn't get too good of a look at it. I was planning on using it as a cover originally because I was going to go retro MH and it would have used for my UV block, but I guess it doesn't matter if it's UV rated or not because I got the fixture. What thickness/type of acrylic did you use? It looks really clean by the way, it's hard to tell it's on there; it kind of looks like the light is floating haha

I'm not sure, I didn't get too good of a look at it. I was planning on using it as a cover originally because I was going to go retro MH and it would have used for my UV block, but I guess it doesn't matter if it's UV rated or not because I got the fixture. What thickness/type of acrylic did you use? It looks really clean by the way, it's hard to tell it's on there; it kind of looks like the light is floating haha

i just used 1/4" cell cast. i routed it to fit exactly to the tank. and yes the light is floating. i am using my telekinetic powers to levitate it . :P

Looks amazing. Does the UV rating mean it will not deteriorate under UV light, or that it blocks UV rays from penetrating?

i just used 1/4" cell cast. i routed it to fit exactly to the tank. and yes the light is floating. i am using my telekinetic powers to levitate it . :P

Looks like we are going to have a 12 inch cube contest filled with paranormally gifted contestants! :D

Looks amazing. Does the UV rating mean it will not deteriorate under UV light, or that it blocks UV rays from penetrating?

Both

• 2 weeks later...
DIY wave maker in action! modified light timer. wont be that dramatic on the pico tank

Is that really on a timer? I picture scooter sitting by the outlet plugging it in and out every couple seconds. :P no that's awesome. I saw a DIY post somewhere with modifying a timer. great work!

it was actually fairly easy to do u just need to modify the gearbox for the internal clock.

Cool wavemaker. Is the clicking the pump turning on and off?

Cool wavemaker. Is the clicking the pump turning on and off?

some of that is the pump some is the timer some is my son goofing off in the background :P it is much quieter on the smaller pumps i will put up another clip when i get time :)

it was also in the garage with the doors shut so it echoes

lol mag 5 hell yea dude, start a title wave ;).....

maxijet can def take the beating!! back in the day i use to use maxijets on the old school wavemaker like redsea ;)..... worked like a charm for well over a year! just got really tired of the clicking on and off.

ok diy wave maker take 2 the timer was loud and not steady so i "redid"it. first clip is just to show how it works second is to show water movement

i wont be disclosing how i did this just yet. i want to make sure it is safe first ;)

th_100_2257.jpg

th_100_2256.jpg

That wavemaker is BAD. As in badass. What do you use to alternate the currents?

in due time my friend. i am running it now with fresh water. i want to make sure it is safe before somone copies it and burns there house down!

Looks pretty cool, i think your gonna be replacing those pumps pretty soon though. I don't think its recommended to switch them on and off continuously, unless you implement some kind of soft start. Get yourself a reef keeper lite for $99 it has that function plus a bunch of others.

Other than that nice job on modding it, its super quiet and does a kickass job. :P

Archived