Cultivated Reef

Unofficial nano-reef 12" cube contest

simplenough

I can see everyone's point.

The point of this contest (correct me if I'm wrong. And I know you will) is and was to see who could maintain the best tank with the same resources. Resources being the key work. Resources aren’t limited to money.

Doc has used a resource he and I have of a really good Michigan based forum that is mostly used to sell used hardware and livestock. Now if you’re willing to drive (Doc drove 4 hours total to get them) or contact a seller on this web site to ship that’s a resource for you also.

I think you hit the nail on the head Bob about the idea of the contest being that everyone see what they can do with the same resources. Which is exactly why you can't use your michiganreefer "deal" prices...as you put it, that's a resource that's only available to two people out of this contest. That's why it's unfair.

And Doc, as much as I antagonize you, I wouldn't want you to quit. I believe you have lost sight of your goal in the last few days. You will be starting a tank with just a few frags in it now, but take it to your office and tell everyone there to watch it grow. Take good care of it, and see how quickly it fills in. I've never had any super expensive zoa's (until a week ago the only ones I had were big brown ones) so I don't know how fast they grow. Wouldn't it be more exciting for you to watch a tank you love and work hard on grow and get better, rather than just filling it to the brim to start? Think of it like having a kid...sure, they can't do much when they're born, but that's part of the fun of it. What would be the point in just popping out an 18 year old and sending him on his way?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly agree with L33T *hi five*

I think that there is no contest with out the limit...what's the point? If I didn't have a limit in the contest I was in I could have reaaaaally put some nicer stuff in there :P and so could have everyone else.

I am the moderator. I say how much the coral is. I will not charge $20 a polyp. I will charge depending on the size of the frag.

If you did not go through me for a price, do not post it in the thread and make up your own price...this is where we are having the problem.

Once again Doc has proof that this is what he paid for the frags. Go out and find your deals for your tank and stop worrying about his.

I have not heard back from simple, but I say we stay with the original rules.

If it goes to no limit contest...there is no contest. :unsure:

Honestly agree with L33T *hi five*

I think that there is no contest with out the limit...what's the point? If I didn't have a limit in the contest I was in I could have reaaaaally put some nicer stuff in there :P and so could have everyone else.

I am the moderator. I say how much the coral is. I will not charge $20 a polyp. I will charge depending on the size of the frag.

If you did not go through me for a price, do not post it in the thread and make up your own price...this is where we are having the problem.

Once again Doc has proof that this is what he paid for the frags. Go out and find your deals for your tank and stop worrying about his.

I have not heard back from simple, but I say we stay with the original rules.

If it goes to no limit contest...there is no contest. :unsure:

So you want us to PM you what live stock and you give us a price?

I did read the threads. Fair market value is what you SHOULD be charged. ... I just don't understand why you would enter the contest knowing the rules.

Once again, you claim to have read the thread, but obviously haven't. I entered the contest from page one. I was the one that brought up figuring out livestock value on page 12. No one wanted to worry about it then.

Dr.Love, I would like to put 1-2 polyps of 20 different zoas in this tank so when it filled out it had a little more than 1 or 2 colors.

LawnMan suggests putting 1 group of 20 BamBams in. Okay..... so we have orange. 20 BamBams could be considered $100 of value anyway according to the "rules" here.

LAJZ "Let's kill the limit. This is going to continue for the next 6 mo. if we dont." Yesterday at 10:47

"I say keep the limit and let the doc drop." Yesterday at 11:37 How many times have you dropped out and re-entered already? Change your mind much?

Also I make no excuse for my profession. I turned down Harvard Med School and U of M Med School, draw your own conclusions. "Real doctors work on more than one species," is a common saying in the vet profession.

IMHO vets are the doctor version of a lawyer who works in public defense. I mean that in a good way. And as for wanting to get plenty of color by filling it in with zoas, can't you do that under the price rules? There are plenty of colorful zoas that don't have name brands lol. And even so, using 1 or 2 polyps just don't use any purple hornets or whatever else people pay $100/polyp for and you should be fine. I'd imagine most colors can be had for at most $10/polyp which would only put you at $200 if you used one polyp of each one.

And Doc, as much as I antagonize you, I wouldn't want you to quit. I believe you have lost sight of your goal in the last few days. You will be starting a tank with just a few frags in it now, but take it to your office and tell everyone there to watch it grow. Take good care of it, and see how quickly it fills in. I've never had any super expensive zoa's (until a week ago the only ones I had were big brown ones) so I don't know how fast they grow. Wouldn't it be more exciting for you to watch a tank you love and work hard on grow and get better, rather than just filling it to the brim to start? Think of it like having a kid...sure, they can't do much when they're born, but that's part of the fun of it. What would be the point in just popping out an 18 year old and sending him on his way?

I said it before this is why I join the contest. Normally I would fill a tank up and leave room for large coral to grow. But its hard to see the larger coral grow. So I wanted to be force to buy small and take pictures.

The problem I'm haveing now isn't buying small. Its I want to buy alot of small corals. This isn't my normal tank setup. The budget keeps me from buying alot of small coral.

That was the idea, but it is very difficult to get 1 polyp off my plugs without killing others. It seems like in trying to remove one polyp I get 2-4. I don't want to stress the animals anymore, so I use the smallest amount I can remove.

So what Maria is saying is that I can have my friend PM me a list of coral he is selling me because he is getting out of the hobby, and because he needs the money he decided to sell every thing for $1 PP. But along as I have a PM with these prices they are good to go no matter if they are yellow polyps or purple deaths? I thought we all decided on a true market value based on reputable vendors.

Well Doc just lie about it and when they grow out a couple new polyps just rip em out. Then it's like you started with one lol.

EDIT: BTW I've obviously never "fragged" anything. Never had anything to frag, so I don't know how difficult it is to just get 1 polyp. I don't really even know how you frag a zoa. Can you use a credit card and scrape just one off?

Maybe someone should creat a new contest for current contestants that want no limit.

Those people drop out and start thier own. I'm sure there are plenty of people who will stay in this one and have a great contest.

Well Doc just lie about it and when they grow out a couple new polyps just rip em out. Then it's like you started with one lol.

EDIT: BTW I've obviously never "fragged" anything. Never had anything to frag, so I don't know how difficult it is to just get 1 polyp. I don't really even know how you frag a zoa. Can you use a credit card and scrape just one off?

How do you figure he lied?

How do you figure he lied?

"Well Doc just lie about it and when they grow out a couple new polyps just rip em out. Then it's like you started with one lol."

he said lie not lied . doh! :P

i MAY be interested in the unlimited contest also

A nine inch acrylic box doesn't interest me, especially after working with this tiny cube (I wouldn't want to go any smaller.) I would be up for the unlimited contest.

1) I would not risk my super rare and expensive corals in a cube this small.

2) Maybe any contestants that agree to split from this contest could volunteer prizes from their collection.

As it stands now, even with the clam my LFS is holding for me, I come in under budget.

I'll have to stare long and hard at the tank Monday, and see if I can hold off adding anything else (much- I'll have $16.50 to play with) for the next 6 months.

As it stands now, even with the clam my LFS is holding for me, I come in under budget.

I'll have to stare long and hard at the tank Monday, and see if I can hold off adding anything else (much- I'll have $16.50 to play with) for the next 6 months.

i think u should re adjust ur prices. your tank looks empty and is almost at budjet. i got some prices from the mod and are way less then what u have on urs :)

I can have my friend PM me a list of coral he is selling me because he is getting out of the hobby, and because he needs the money he decided to sell every thing for $1 PP. But along as I have a PM with these prices they are good to go no matter if they are yellow polyps or purple deaths?

This is where those honesty and friendship components come into play. I answered an add posted on another forum - anyone else could have done the same. I doubt your friend will sell me all his PDs for $1 a polyp, but if so, PM me his contact info. That's what I am used to paying! :D

So you want us to PM you what live stock and you give us a price?

that is what i did . and the prices where fair. actually doc's prices seem a little low. he should do the same.

also : if anyone takes offense by anything i say on this forum, has no scene of humor. it is all BS and i meant nothing by it. how fun would it be if we all got along? not at all i think.

I've fragged lots of Zoas.

It can be very difficult to frag just one polyp, and you risk killing it in the process.

Fragging 3 or so tends to be much more workable.

Here's what we did to figure value in the last contest:

-If it was free, was received in a trade, or was taken from another tank, one of the Judges running the contest would determine fair market value for the frag.

-If it was received at a bargain price, proof had to be furnished of the price paid. If the price could be proven, that was the amount that was deducted from the budget.

I'm really feeling for Maria right now, I remember what this part of the contest was like.

Take heart though, it passes more quickly than you'd think and then people get on with the business of building and maintaining a beautiful tank.

OMG there are children on this site :lol:

Well I can't do shiz till Simple gets back with me on unlimited contest...altho I still think there should be a limit or at least a generic listing of prices.

I am fair with prices...you guys are making a big deal about it and haven't even asked me what your prices should be...as scoot stated.

What happened to my avitar????? No message. No Suggestion. No advice. Just Gone???? He had glasses on. It was obvious he wasn't real.

I'm calling shenanigans on the loss o' my Avatar.

So what Maria is saying is that I can have my friend PM me a list of coral he is selling me because he is getting out of the hobby, and because he needs the money he decided to sell every thing for $1 PP. But along as I have a PM with these prices they are good to go no matter if they are yellow polyps or purple deaths? I thought we all decided on a true market value based on reputable vendors.

Yes if you have a PM send it to me or post it in your thread.

We can do market value, but it is not what I would pay or what others would pay if they got them from other reefers rather than an LFS who marks everything up to ridiculous prices. If you find a deal on line post a link.

In my contest tank I got a few great deals from friends that broke their tanks down, I posted a link.

Yeah the NR mods are like cops they do as they please . I didn't see the avatar but I have seen it done before thay will change ur sig also

Archived