Top Shelf Aquatics

Unofficial nano-reef 12" cube contest

simplenough

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he has proof that this is what he paid for his Mohawks then that is what is deducted. Unfortunately some will not get really great deals on some stuff, but great deals on others.

I thought the whole point of the contest was for staying with in the $$ limit or why put that in the rules.

I cannot remove this unless the OP agrees. It is hard keeping up with 12 threads so PLEASE be fair.

Everyone needs to PM me with prices if they received corals for free, in a trade, free and just paid shipping, taken out of your other tank to be fair.

Please show a link or scanned/picture of receipt of the prices paid on your thread to be fair.

According to that logic, wouldn't people be better off to pay a penny for some frag than to get it for free? If they pay a penny, then it only counts a penny, but if they get it for free then it counts market value?

EDIT: Or if someone gives it to you for free, can you get a receipt for paying $0?

According to that logic, wouldn't people be better off to pay a penny for some frag than to get it for free? If they pay a penny, then it only counts a penny, but if they get it for free then it counts market value?

This is exactly why I suggested posting standard prices for common livestock.

Ex. $1/polyp for common zoas

$2.50/polyp for "rare" or "high-grade" zoas

$5.00/polyp for extremely rare zoas

Shipping does not count according to the rules.

ok so i can prove i paid nothing for ALL of these frags but shipping costs so i can put them in and deduct 0 ?

blue tub zoas 12+ polyps true EE zoas 12+ polyps sunset monti orange digi monti gren slimer 3 huge frgas duncans 3 polyps etc etc etc...

100_2258.jpg

100_2267.jpg

I quadrupled or more the price I paid. I linked the classified add. I hope most people buy locally or from other reefers rather than paying outrageous prices charged by many specialty reef online venues.

Also. I have no pedigree for these corals. They may be look alikes or worse. No one has commented on my picture of the alleged Billy Club.

Also, I literally pinched off (with my fingers) the smallest amount of polyps I could manage from my plugs and immediately transferred them to my cube. No healing time. These are smallish outskirt polyps - not the jumbo mature polyps from the center.

I quadrupled or more the price I paid. I linked the classified add. I hope most people buy locally or from other reefers rather than paying outrageous prices charged by many specialty reef online venues.

I don't know about Michigan (I think that's where you're from, I apologize if it's not) but where I live we can't get good stuff local most of the time. And the good stuff they do have is usually quite a bit more expensive than online vendors even after shipping.

People getting items for free are getting them for a reason. They are either good friends with the sender, or they have offered the sender something of similar value. Strangers do not send other strangers hundreds of dollars of corals for free.

I BOUGHT my corals form STRANGERS. There was no back rubbing going on.

I suggest you all log on to michiganreefers.com.

I just fail to see the difference between trading money for corals and trading corals for corals. Why should a trade be penalized and a purchase not? Would it make any more sense if two people "bought" each other's corals for the exact same amount of money? Wouldn't that put a trade into the same category as a "good deal" and thus not subject to penalty?

People getting items for free are getting them for a reason. They are either good friends with the sender, or they have offered the sender something of similar value. Strangers do not send other strangers hundreds of dollars of corals for free.

I BOUGHT my corals form STRANGERS. There was no back rubbing going on.

I suggest you all log on to michiganreefers.com.

i am not good freinds with the sender. he just an awesome guy. he lives in cali i live in FL i would say that is pretty much a stranger. HERE is the link pages 69-71 smartass

i sent him nothing in return!

Ok so the contest just started and we need to get this cleared up...problem is that some peeps can get great deals on stuff and others can't. I for would love a generic list of prices as Jz suggested, this would be something like:

Z's and P's

$1/polyp for common zoas

$2.50/polyp for "rare" or "high-grade" zoas

$5.00/polyp for extremely rare zoas

Acans

$10 common

$15 rare or high grade

$20 extremely rare

$3 a head trumpets no matter color

$15 frag of chalice- no matter what morph

$5 a frag of monti cap no matter what morph

etc..

just an example...of course the OP will have to agree

I just fail to see the difference between trading money for corals and trading corals for corals. Why should a trade be penalized and a purchase not? Would it make any more sense if two people "bought" each other's corals for the exact same amount of money? Wouldn't that put a trade into the same category as a "good deal" and thus not subject to penalty?

Your coral has a value just like the money has a value.

If your coral has a value of $10 and you get a $20 coral for it you should deduct $10

Maria I thought we were going to deduct the "Fair market value of the coral when it goes into the tank"?

Someone suggested removing the livestock limit.

I'm not happy with the live stock in my tank, but I'm at my limit. I would never leave just this stuff in my tank.

This will be my second time suggesting to remove the limit. Remember we started with a HW limit. Well for like a day or so.

Drlove didn't you drop out? Forgive me if thats not correct.

Doc Frye and I are both from Michigan. The econ in Mi is the worst in the nation. A lot of people are getting out of reefing. Some people want out quicker than other and if you act quickly like Doc did you can get great deals.

Doc contacted the seller and offered to buy all his Zoa site unseen. He took a huge chance on getting crap, but he save the seller a ton of time and Doc got a super good deal.

If your coral has a value of $10 and you get a $20 coral for it you should deduct $10

Maria I thought we were going to deduct the "Fair market value of the coral when it goes into the tank"?

Someone suggested removing the livestock limit.

I'm not happy with the live stock in my tank, but I'm at my limit. I would never leave just this stuff in my tank.

This will be my second time suggesting to remove the limit. Remember we started with a HW limit. Well for like a day or so.

Doc Frye and I are both from Michigan. The econ in Mi is the worst in the nation. A lot of people are getting out of reefing. Some people want out quicker than other and if you act quickly like Doc did you can get great deals.

Doc contacted the seller and offered to buy all his Zoa site unseen. He took a huge chance on getting crap, but he save the seller a ton of time and Doc got a super good deal.

ok i dont have a problem with doc "getting a good deal" but he has not IMO deducted fair market value. if his prices stick i am going to have a pico filled to the brim with sps and lps. as i not only got all those corals for free i have my pet store license and can but directly from the wholesalers/ farms .

i just love arguing i guess :P

First, I second the idea of removing the livestock limit. I will probably just drop out of the competition otherwise, because I do not want to look at a tank with a few dinky frags in it sitting on my desk for the next 6 months.

Scoot, at first I was offended that you would stoop to name calling. "i am not good freinds with the sender. he just an awesome guy. he lives in cali i live in FL i would say that is pretty much a stranger. HERE is the link pages 69-71 smartass"

However, after following your link, I will take "smartass" as a compliment from you. Your complete lack of understanding of the English language is painted vividly for us on your first post in the link. "where not worthy! where not worthy! where not worthy! thanks again bro you efin rock!"

I hope someday you grasp the concept of a contraction. I doubt you are asking where anything is and am fairly certain you meant "we are" or "we're." Either way, I am no longer offended in the least.

Edit - dumbass

Doc I believe u started the name calling whem YOU called me a liar. As far as my spelling and or contrast-grahmer etc... I type almost everything from my blackberry. It put words in when yout type the first letters and doe not have spell check. Now GOOD DAY SIR!

Sho nuff. No forgiveness needed.

Isn't the value of coral subjective though? I'm not sure, but I think you're agreeing with me here.

Quote it, Scoot, my illiterate friend! I do not believe I ever called you a name, until after post 1367 of this thread. I could be mistaken.

I know that devices can guess at what word you mean.... It is up to you to realize that the BB is wrong.

ok so i can prove i paid nothing for ALL of these frags but shipping costs so i can put them in and deduct 0 ?

blue tub zoas 12+ polyps true EE zoas 12+ polyps sunset monti orange digi monti gren slimer 3 huge frgas duncans 3 polyps etc etc etc...

100_2258.jpg

100_2267.jpg

QUOTE (Doc Frye @ Sep 26 2009, 05:22 PM) *

as i said YOU started it :P now GOOD DAY!

Archived