Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Hypes 39 gallon LED Powered Cadlight

Rehype

So i picked up a blueberry gorgonian about a month ago. My lfs happened to have one that was just in beautiful shape. So i decided to take the plunge. Ive wanted one for years but was always intimidated by their requirements. Not to mention they dont tend to live too long in captivity. But with all that said i decided to give it a shot and just give it 150%. I feed him about 5 days out of the week or more. His diet varies daily. Im literally feeding this guy everything you could think of to keep him happy. So far so good. Being thats its a deepwater species his polyps are open mostly at night or the late evening. But hes feeding constantly and ive noticed a bit of growth over the last 2 weeks. Overall im very happy with his present health and hopefully i can keep him happy.

Heres a pic i snagged when all of the polyps were open. Since hes most active at night its a little difficult to photograph him. But this shot was at ISO 2000! Im very happy with the results.

4161418109_a75a48c2b9.jpg

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Heres a pic i snagged when all of the polyps were open. Since hes most active at night its a little difficult to photograph him. But this shot was at ISO 2000! Im very happy with the results.

4161418109_a75a48c2b9.jpg

wow -- incredibly noise-free picture for ISO 2000. Very, i mean VERY nice.

Very cool, they definitely have a reputation as being hard to keep. At least you don't really have to target feed it :)

True they pull food right out of the water column.

Looks like a very nice one! I may give another one a try if I can find a fresh, healthy specimen. Marcus Nitzsche has had long term success (growth and reproduction) with this gorg. You can read about his feeding/maintenance regimen here if you haven't already:

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/showthr...8582&page=2

Thanks for the link uhuru!Very helpful info. The only reason i even gave this a shot was because it looked so healthy and happy.

wow -- incredibly noise-free picture for ISO 2000. Very, i mean VERY nice.

Thanks Tim. I was surprised as well when i checked the EXIF. It still managed to pull out a decent amount of detail without being overly noisy.

Very nice Gorg indeed!

I wish you luck with it.

Thanks weetie :):flower:

A big plus one here buddy-Very best of luck with this E!

What a beautiful piece it is!

fingerscrossed

Thanks Buddy im keeping my fingers crossed.

Just wanted to share one more pic of the gorg to show its true color.. this was shot during the day. The light temp was around 11-12k. Not all of the polyps are opened since i just finished feeding it.

4172604253_521cc5b187.jpg

Just wanted to share one more pic of the gorg to show its true color.. this was shot during the day. The light temp was around 11-12k. Not all of the polyps are opened since i just finished feeding it.

4172604253_521cc5b187.jpg

holy mackerel! that is definitely the neatest-looking gorg i've ever seen (not that i've seen a lot of them -- but still!).

how are the flow requirements of this relative to the rest of your planned stocking list? i also notice you've got the ricordea in there. you think you can keep everything pretty happy?

Thanks tim I couldnt resist after seeing the condition it was in. Most of the gorgs ive come across didnt look anywhere near as healthy.

They require alot of water movement but i have (2)

so they definitely are getting more than enough flow. Ive found ive had to move some other frags to areas in the tank where the flow is a bit more indirect. But other than that everything is thriving.
So i shot a quick vid of my
Ive had them for about a month or so and they eat everything i feed my fish. Be sure to hit the HD button

Sweet, those look awesome. Wish I had some.

Maybe if you turned off the pumps we could see the movement with more clarity.

Wait, wut? nvrmnd. :huh:

:P

Great stuff Eugene. That cam takes awesome vids!

Sweeet torch tooooo!

B)

So i shot a quick vid of my
Ive had them for about a month or so and they eat everything i feed my fish. Be sure to hit the HD button

What program do you use to edit your video?

That 7D produces some amazing results!

edit: and do you have a Flickr account? I'd love to see more pictures

I love torch corals -- my wife has nixed them from inclusion in our tank due to a bad experience with another euphyllia (a hammer in this case) in combination with a sarcophyton (fiji yellow leather). amazing the damage they did to each other over the course of a few days in an 8g biocube. anyway, great video. any indications that your clown might host it?

by the way, speaking of appeasing my wife, how does your tailspot get along with BJ...?

What program do you use to edit your video?

That 7D produces some amazing results!

edit: and do you have a Flickr account? I'd love to see more pictures

Thanks alot spencers I use imovie for the small vids. You can check my flickr photostream(theres not too many photos on there) by searching for rehype on Flickr

I love torch corals -- my wife has nixed them from inclusion in our tank due to a bad experience with another euphyllia (a hammer in this case) in combination with a sarcophyton (fiji yellow leather). amazing the damage they did to each other over the course of a few days in an 8g biocube. anyway, great video. any indications that your clown might host it?

by the way, speaking of appeasing my wife, how does your tailspot get along with BJ...?

Thanks alot Tim. I have the Euphyllia isolated to one side of my tank for that very reason But i love the life and movement they bring to the tank. So far jigsaw shows absolutely no interest whatsoever in hosting anything other than sand :rolleyes:

Tailspot and BJ totally ignore one another....

Yep i figured id give it a try. Someone in the town next to me is selling one on craiglist for its the red sea aquazone ozonizer (50mg) with the controller built in,drier, and an orp probe. Im going to go pick it up in the morning :D

Thats cool we can all share our results B)

Archived