Innovative Marine Aquariums

Hypes 39 gallon LED Powered Cadlight

Rehype

Hey E, did you consider upping your carbon dosage (zeostart) to help with that excess nitrate?

edit: BTW, you were right about the sponge on the ER skimmer. I had to put it back in due to micro bubbles being introduced. I still left the two holes blocked, though, as it allows me to keep the skimmer higher up out of the water.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey E, did you consider upping your carbon dosage (zeostart) to help with that excess nitrate?

edit: BTW, you were right about the sponge on the ER skimmer. I had to put it back in due to micro bubbles being introduced. I still left the two holes blocked, though, as it allows me to keep the skimmer higher up out of the water.

Yep i began doing that a few weeks ago but with no discernible changes.However after researching it other zeo users said it took around 6-8 weeks to drop higher nitrate levels. So i guess ill see in a few weeks. But im positive the cheato will do its job within a few weeks and then the Zeo will just lower it even further.

Picked up a tailspot blenny a few days ago. Its my favorite blenny of all the species ive owned. He wasnt so shy today so i managed to snag a few pics.

Meet Benny

4139515956_92a56e903c.jpg

4138736931_f78379bcef.jpg

4139498438_8277b0b5ea.jpg

Awesome addition... I love mine!!!

They quite the characters for sure!!! :lol:

A big plus one here buddy.

I miss my tailspot sumptin' awful! :(

Another great choice tho E! B)

Awesome addition... I love mine!!!

They quite the characters for sure!!! :lol:

Thanks david. You got that right...lol

A big plus one here buddy.

I miss my tailspot sumptin' awful! :(

Another great choice tho E! B)

Thanks buddy. You gotta pick another one up ;)

I've never seen that fish before (though I recognize the name). Nice looking fish!

What is your livestock list, E?

Thanks alot B.

Everything in the sig buddy

Well the main difference is the cadlight offers (2) 24 watt t5 bulbs in addition to the leds and metal halide light.however I beleive the sunpod is a bit cheaper.The cadlight also comes with a hanging kit.

HTH

Well the main difference is the cadlight offers (2) 24 watt t5 bulbs in addition to the leds and metal halide light.however I beleive the sunpod is a bit cheaper.The cadlight also comes with a hanging kit.

HTH

you forgot to mention how loud the fan is..... <_<

HOWEVER, tivo over on reefcentral has said that he's replaced the stock fan in the light fixture with a vantec stealth fan, and that it is super quiet. http://www.buyextras.com/cabinetfans.html. Sounds like it'd be worth looking into (for those of us who don't have super amazing LED setups..... jerk. :D ).

i don't see how you can compare a sunpod to the cad fixture, though -- the sunpod doesn't have the actinics! for apples-to-apples, you'd really have to compare it to the outer-orbit fixture, because that's the only one that has all of the same lighting. i'd rather have the outer-orbit fixture, but you can't beat the price of the cad fixture.

I didnt know the fan was loud. I never really fired it up before i sold it. But yea i would definitely take the outer orbit fixture over the cad if price wasnt a issue..

For a starphire tank, hell yeah it is! I think the stand is more than the tank, though. If someone DIYs their stand it would be a good deal.

Well it would be a steal if you didnt then have to pay for the sump,skimmer,lamp tree,stand and shipping......Once you add all of those things on it will cost around $1100..

Nevertheless Ill probably pick one up when i move in the spring... :mellow:

Well it would be a steal if you didnt then have to pay for the sump,skimmer,lamp tree,stand and shipping......Once you add all of those things on it will cost around $1100..

Nevertheless Ill probably pick one up when i move in the spring... :mellow:

That's true, if I got that tank I'd have to spring for a nice cone skimmer and probably a light upgrade as well. But strictly speaking on how much starphire tanks cost, $350 is a good price for the tank only.

Question for you since you know more about the Zeovit system than most. If I were to start a tank and let it cycle from the beginning in the ZeoVit system and then transfer over all of my live stock which would basically add double the live rock and a whole mess of corals would everything work out OK? Or would this cause a nitrogen spike through the roof and kill off all my precious corals? Sorry about the hijack, but I'm toying with the idea of setting up a 50 breeder as a ZeoVit system and then transfer over my current tank's (my 24 Nanocube) inhabitants into it. Love the stocking choices. I don't think You could have better ones.

Well as long as the new system cycled thoroughly with the zeovit system you wouldnt have to worry about a nitrogen spike as your current nanocube is fully cycled.However you do have to pay attention to how the corals from your nanocube react to switching to a ultra low nutrient system.In Particular sps need time to acclimate to the new system. So it may be a good idea to begin the zeovit on the already established system so as to slowly acclimate your existing corals.

Thanks alot for the complement.

Well as long as the new system cycled thoroughly with the zeovit system you wouldnt have to worry about a nitrogen spike as your current nanocube is fully cycled.However you do have to pay attention to how the corals from your nanocube react to switching to a ultra low nutrient system.In Particular sps need time to acclimate to the new system. So it may be a good idea to begin the zeovit on the already established system so as to slowly acclimate your existing corals.

Thanks alot for the complement.

Cool. I was dosing vodka on my tank, but I got sick of the cyano. I found out recently that MB7 would probably eliminate that problem for me so I might pick it up again soon. I wouldn't be using zeolites at that point, so maybe the vodka and MB7 would be a good midpoint for the cube before getting transferred over. Oh. Is there any problem with a deep sand bed and ZeoVit? I want a yellowheaded jawfish badly for the new tank and was thinking about having a tiered tank where a third to half of the tank has a 4" sand bed while the rest of it had a one inch bed, separated by a foam and LR divider. Kind of a mini drop off I guess. Thanks for the info!

Np. Nope no issues with keeping a deep sand bed. Running zeo will actually help keep your sandbed very clean(free of algae) With zeo and my bluespotted jawfish my sand has never been whiter.

Archived