ReefCleaners.org

Hypes 39 gallon LED Powered Cadlight

Rehype

Hey Tim i actually got rid of my mp20 and bought two tunze 6055's. Theyre controlled by the profilux and are run on random flow patterns which vary from 40-100%

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey Tim i actually got rid of my mp20 and bought two tunze 6055's. Theyre controlled by the profilux and are run on random flow patterns which vary from 40-100%

er, right. forgot about that.

At what % (approximately) do you run your mp20?

The reason I ask is, I hooked up my new mp10 last night, and I'm running reef crest at 100% (so, 1575+ gph). I'm trying to figure if, given the amount of rockwork I've got in the tank, it might be worth it to go mp20 instead for the extra 425gph. Strictly speaking in terms of GPH, I'd have to be running the mp20 at at least ~80% to equal the mp10's GPH running at 100% (obviously, flexibility for future upgrades is a consideration with the mp20, but that's not a goal for me at this time).

Hey Tim, I know you didn't ask me, but I am able to keep my MP40 at 80%, and that is in a signature, which has a smaller display volume than your tank. I generally keep it around 50-60% though. I would definitely suggest the MP20 or even 40 since you'd be able to use it on a larger tank in the future (never say never!).

And I really envy your sun corals Hype. I had to get rid of my dendros. Do your stay open most of the day?

And I really envy your sun corals Hype. I had to get rid of my dendros. Do your stay open most of the day?

They're closed during most of the day(which is ok since I'm not home anyway) but they open once I began feeding the tank in the evening and they stay open all night.

Hey Tim, I know you didn't ask me, but I am able to keep my MP40 at 80%, and that is in a signature, which has a smaller display volume than your tank. I generally keep it around 50-60% though. I would definitely suggest the MP20 or even 40 since you'd be able to use it on a larger tank in the future (never say never!).

{hijack}

B, thanks for the reply -- I can't keep straight who has what equipment around here, or otherwise I would've asked your opinion as well! Anyway, responding to this, I certainly would rather have the mp20 over the mp10, all else equal (and the mp40 over the mp20). My concern is whether there might be better places to put that extra ~$100 (or $200 for the mp40). I'm working with finite resources. So, although the mp20 would no doubt move more water and do a better job than the mp10 (there's always something better, right?), the issue is whether the mp10 does the job I'm asking it to do (i.e. give me the flow I need to keep SPS).

Future upgradability is certainly an added bonus for the mp20, and I appreciate why that may add value for some. But, I know I don't have any immediate or near-term upgrade plans. So, although I will undoubtedly upgrade in the future, and I start a tank that's big enough to require an mp40, I'll just shell out for the mp40 at that time (or whatever else is better by then). So, future upgradeability, at least for me, isn't worth the extra money. But, getting over the SPS threshold likely would be. So, with that in mind, would that change your answer? (I'd suggest responding in my tank thread so we don't have to steal E's thunder, here).

{/hijack}

Congrats on photo of the month, Eugene! It was only a matter of time, frankly.

Thanks alot Tim. And thanks to everyone that voted :D

So i traded my 7D for a 5D Mark II from another photographer(got a killer deal) I decided to take a few macros. The 5D really shines at high ISO. Anywho some shots of my Non-photosynthetic coral

4248272099_485933b1b9.jpg

4249045850_458c18b685.jpg

4249046110_d0500d303e.jpg

So i traded my 7D for a 5D Mark II from another photographer(got a killer deal) I decided to take a few macros. The 5D really shines at high ISO. Anywho some shots of my Non-photosynthetic coral

you traded straight up?? that IS a good deal.

i took 600 pictures at a wedding this past weekend in ft. worth, tx. my nikon (d40) with the 18-135mm utility lens is feeling very inadequate lately. you. are. not. helping. :slap::D

re: those pictures... "holy effing frijoles" is my first reaction.

I actually had to add some cash to the deal but only $400. So ended up saving like $700.

Im sure your pics are great im just never satisfied with my gear...well until now :happy:

Thanks alot tim for the feedback

Rehype - Are you still using your LED's? I am currently in the planning stages of building my own LED pendant and would like to know how you are liking yours so far.

BTW - Pictures are killer!

-Dave

saw you were selling your Profilux doser -- what's the plan?

Well i was going to sell it just because i wasnt using it but i decided i may hold onto it just in case.

Rehype - Are you still using your LED's? I am currently in the planning stages of building my own LED pendant and would like to know how you are liking yours so far.

BTW - Pictures are killer!

-Dave

Yep still using them. Personally i love them..Having them controlled by the profilux is really the best part about them..sunrise,sunset,moon,cloud and thunderstom simulation all make for a constantly changing display.I will say the light is really intense from LEDs and its probably a good idea to run them at 50%-75%. Alot of corals dont like the intensity whereas other thrive on it. As far as growth is concerned its still a little early for me too tell. But one of my frogspawn sprouted about 6 baby heads since ive had it in this tank and my toadstool has doubled in size. Most of my other frags are slow growers so its hard to say. But ill see how my recently added acans do over the next month and let you know.

Thanks BTW.

Great info. I am doing a ton of research on building a two pendants for my tank. After seeing the proflux I am half way tempted. They have the new one that only controls the LED's and tunzes. Even though I do not have tunzes it sure would be sweet to have those matched up with the lighting. Imagine a thunder storm in the tank ;)

Thanks for answering my Q's. I'll be waiting for the FTS.

-Dave

So i decided to try ozone on my tank..Its advantages are many: increased RedOx (measure of water quality) which in part inhibits many nuisance algae/organisms from growing, reduction of organics, increased oxygen saturation, dramitically improved water clarity which optimizes the delivery of reef lights to corals,potential diseases control... the list goes on.After reading uhurus results i figured why not give it a try.

Fortunately found someone right on craiglist in my neighboring town and bought their setup. Its the red sea ozonizer 50mg version. I waited a few weeks to actually set it up because its critical when setting an ozonizer up to ensure the ozone makes contact with carbon in order to neutralize its potential harmful side effects. Most reefers connect it to a skimmer but i decided to run a dedicated reactor.This reactor is going to function as my carbon/Zeo reactor and additionally have ozone injected through the reactor. I was fortunate to find the via aqua reactor reactor which pumps water from the bottom up(ideal for a zeo reactor) and easy on the wallet.

I made sure to add a check valve to prevent any water from siphoning back down the air tube and i also bought the smallest air pump i could find to ensure slow delivery of the ozone.oh BTW be sure to double check your check valve to make sure its working i had a dud and that could have been disaster if i hadnt double checked.

I set it up a few hours ago and im sure it will be a week or two before i can give some solid feedback. Although most reefers say they notice a dramatic difference in water clarity within the first 48 hours...

ozonizer.jpg

reactor.jpg

Great info. I am doing a ton of research on building a two pendants for my tank. After seeing the proflux I am half way tempted. They have the new one that only controls the LED's and tunzes. Even though I do not have tunzes it sure would be sweet to have those matched up with the lighting. Imagine a thunder storm in the tank ;)

Thanks for answering my Q's. I'll be waiting for the FTS.

-Dave

Dave, I'm sure you've seen this, but if not:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost...p;postcount=916

That might spark the LED decision..

So i decided to try ozone on my tank..Its advantages are many: increased RedOx (measure of water quality) which in part inhibits many nuisance algae/organisms from growing, reduction of organics, increased oxygen saturation, dramitically improved water clarity which optimizes the delivery of reef lights to corals,potential diseases control... the list goes on.After reading uhurus results i figured why not give it a try.

Fortunately found someone right on craiglist in my neighboring town and bought their setup. Its the red sea ozonizer 50mg version. I waited a few weeks to actually set it up because its critical when setting an ozonizer up to ensure the ozone makes contact with carbon in order to neutralize its potential harmful side effects. Most reefers connect it to a skimmer but i decided to run a dedicated reactor.This reactor is going to function as my carbon/Zeo reactor and additionally have ozone injected through the reactor. I was fortunate to find the via aqua reactor reactor which pumps water from the bottom up(ideal for a zeo reactor) and easy on the wallet.

I made sure to add a check valve to prevent any water from siphoning back down the air tube and i also bought the smallest air pump i could find to ensure slow delivery of the ozone.oh BTW be sure to double check your check valve to make sure its working i had a dud and that could have been disaster if i hadnt double checked.

I set it up a few hours ago and im sure it will be a week or two before i can give some solid feedback. Although most reefers say they notice a dramatic difference in water clarity within the first 48 hours...

ozonizer.jpg

reactor.jpg

So far in less than 24 hours theres been a significant reduction in skimmate production.

Archived