Cultivated Reef

d'Espresso's Solana, Baby S'mores pics p.29

d'Espresso

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you have those two 5.5gal tanks under your stand (on the bottom)? Are you not concerned about the weight (14 lbs for the tanks and 90 lbs of water)?

LOVE the tank...super clean!

I've got a question about your diy light stand. How did you attach the rail to the sunpod? I'm looking to do the same thing and would like to see some pics of the how it's attached.

Also, any tips on using the pipe bender with that material?

Thanks!

Do you have those two 5.5gal tanks under your stand (on the bottom)? Are you not concerned about the weight (14 lbs for the tanks and 90 lbs of water)?

Not really, It really hold up for it own extra weight of the stand. I only have one 5.5gal tank under my stand for R/O water return for ATO into the tank. The other 5.5gal is my other tank for Zoas, Rics, and Yumas. But thanks for the notice! :)

LOVE the tank...super clean!

I've got a question about your diy light stand. How did you attach the rail to the sunpod? I'm looking to do the same thing and would like to see some pics of the how it's attached.

Also, any tips on using the pipe bender with that material?

Thanks!

hi tampareef, thanks for asking that question but if you go to my post #3 and #33 you will find out how i attached the light and custom the frame.

i used the pipe bender at Lowes on the spot and bend it to the extend that i needed then i will home and kinda give it another bend by using my hand and the floor. :)

hi tampareef, thanks for asking that question but if you go to my post #3 and #33 you will find out how i attached the light and custom the frame.

I couldn't find on those two posts what hardware you used to attach the two together. Did you just use self tapping screws?

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

This is my first attempt to make a post of any sort, so I hope that I'm doing it right.

I just bought a Solana 34--my first marine aquarium in over 30 years, so the technology is all pretty new to me. I am waiting on my custom stand for another 2 weeks , so I probably have too much time to over think everything--maybe it will all be clear when the tank is set up and filled. Anyway, I really appreciated the photos of the rear of your set up, as I am planning on using the lower center rear compartment for a refugium as well. I have a few (hopefully not too stupid) questions:

1. I assume that the custom egg crate support for the Chemipure is necessary because you don't want to put it on top of the top drip plate. Why can't it sit on top? Are you using the Poly-Filters with it?

2. looks like you are putting the motor part of the Ecotech MP10 just above. My understanding is that this chamber doesn't have water in it in the upper section. Is there any chance of it accidentally flooding and causing a short circuit? It seems like a great idea to help keep the sleek look. Do you have the battery back up that goes with the Ecotech MP10?

3. Since you've had the setup running awhile, would you make any changes if you were doing it again? Any recommendations on heaters, thermometers.

This is the equipment and plan so far:

Starphire Solana 34 with wood trim frame

Custom built 30x40x32" high stand with Absolute granite top (Can use with a 20x20x36 tank with sump underneath in future if desired)

Current USA Dual Satellite 20" fixture with white/actinic/LED until I can afford the AquaIlluminations all LED and figure out how to hang it

JBJ Nan Glo LED refugium light

Ecotech MP10 powerhead with battery back up

Haven't gotten a heater, thermometer or any test kits yet. Any advice much appreciated--planning on assorted corals, clams and a few fish.

Thanks for being there to help out a newbie!!

PART 4: observing the back of the tank and Skimmer

OK i guess this is what everyone been waiting all day. I was at work and decided what to write about for the next post so here we go! First off i would like to thank everyone that had made very nice comments and checking out my thread. i am honor to share it with you all and many helps and researching on this wonderful website on Nano-reef had made my reefing experience much better. :) Thank you all!

Okie-dokie! This is a picture of the back of the tank and how i am planning to set up in the back. This is for others that wanted to see the back how's everything will goes or curious what a Solana back tank looks. Well, also if there any concern or a better way to set this up please let me know and please excuse me if i seem to have it in a different way.

Now the goods:

This is my 2 5.5 gallon tank that will go under my cabinet inside the Solana. One is for holding ATO water and the under one will be my Q-tank or maybe a dosing tank some day. Also i did went to Lowes again and have them cut and fitted the 2 tanks for the top cover top. Ask them and they can cut it for you there at the store, remember to bring your tank along for good fitment. Right now i have my cure live rock sitting in the tank getting ready to be put in the Solana probably next Tuesday 16, 2009 The 2 tanks are holding my left over water change that i have been doing water change on my other tank.

IMG_0009_2.jpg

Wow, finally my new skimmer came in and i hope this works out good. Does anyone have any experience with this SA skimmer yet? how well does this work and is it super quiet? I dunno but i will test it out later once i get everything coming in. They sent it in good conditions and great seller too. this is great service, def will do business with them again. :)

IMG_0006.jpg

ARE YOU READY?

this is how my layout will look. also notice i custom the egg crate to hold the chemi-pure elite in between the middle part. i was thinking if i should add anything else beside filter floss on top, chemi, and chaeto bottom and live rocks. hmm? Any help or relocation on any equipment to another area is welcome. i'm always good for any suggestion. thanks

IMG_0011_2.jpg

Side view:

IMG_0012_2.jpg

:lol: Thanks for looking!

more to come soon!

PART 5: Modded the 20" Sunpod 150w MH with 2 x 27 watts Blue Actinic next post!

• 1 month later...

Whoa it's been awhile since i last posted something on here. Been very busy with my new born baby, She been keeping me on my feet at all time.

Sad news is that i had to torn my tank down and is sitting in the corner of the room. Good news is that i'll try to get back into the hobby soon! I apologize for anyone that is concerned what my tank have been doing but in the good run i will probably get back soon. So stay tune on the look out!

Tank retired: 10-29-09 R.I.P.

TriggerHappyDude

You're making me want to go bare bottom...is it worth the hassle of me siphoning out my sandbed over the next few water changes, until its all gone?

i think today is the day i will setup my semi tank back up! SHOULD I DO IT? :)

My tank was broken down due to some issues i was going through But Since i moved and started to settle down and getting things back going for US* i think this is a good time to come back once again and see how it will work out.

When my tank was down i still come every often now to see how everyone been doing with their tanks with new ideas and new members. i just can't waited to come back.

i think today is the day i will setup my semi tank back up! SHOULD I DO IT? :)

My tank was broken down due to some issues i was going through But Since i moved and started to settle down and getting things back going for US* i think this is a good time to come back once again and see how it will work out.

When my tank was down i still come every often now to see how everyone been doing with their tanks with new ideas and new members. i just can't waited to come back.

DO IT, DO IT, DO IT!!! :happydance:

B)

:naughtydance:omgomgomg:happydance::ninja::lol::D

At the moment i am modifying my back chamber again to make it easy compatible to work in it and figuring out my refugium layout. i need to order me a new skimmer?

Since Sapphire Aquatic site is down or run out of business, i can not purchase a skimmer from them. So will i be fine without a skimmer for now? Can anyone recommend me a good quite skimmer that is flushed in my tank. i would like to keep a good rimless look btw. HELP!

definitely set it back up, your tank was an inspiration for me getting my solana and entering saltwater for the first time. i'm just running the stock skimmer and so far getting nothing really out if (just clear liquid), its been 5 weeks now. i have seen lots of good reviews fo the tunze nano skimmer with steveT cup. welcome back!

Finally just got everything cleaned up and trying to setup the layout of my tank. It's been PITA for 3 hour cleaning scrubbing this tank. I got great news on my mini skimmer. i am using AquaticLife Internal Mini Protein Skimmer 115 in my first chamber. Hopefully this little toy skimmer will pull some stuff out Until i can find a good skimmer.

The AquaticLife Internal Mini Protein Skimmer 115 fits perfectly flush tight inside the first chamber by turning it slightly like clockwise. It's so small and can fit into in small nano easy!

Well, time to get back to work and deciding if i would like to add sand in or not. I think i will but we'll see! :)

FINALLY IT IS DONE! i will post up some picture in a few days when everything is settle in and open

Right on!!!

I can't wait!!!

B)

This was taken yesterday at afternoon just before i got started. So here is the tank with my bag of sand on the stand. lol :)

IMG_3945.jpg

So before i got started putting sand in the tank and fill it up with water. i had to get prepared and well planning for me to easy control my back chamber. I rewired everything and tucked in place. i UP GRADED my MP20 to 2 x MP20 because i do. I wanted to even out the other side with another MP20 so that it will be the same on the other side.

I plan to set both MP20s on different setting. the right side on toward the back will be fore my top flow and i am planning to put the other MP20 near the bottom front.

This is my wire back layout so far:

IMG_3941.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

so far everything is trying to settling in now. i am loving my 2 x MP20 alomg with all my corals, setting on reefcrest at 75%. i have not yet have any problems with dirty sandbed thanks to the help of my tailspot blenny munching on the sand and back walls all the time.

i know i need to post some new fts buti will get around soon and take some pictures of the developing processes of my reef tank.

i have still adore the bonsai look and have still kept the theme that way in the tank. i have now added the sand and not going with barebottom anymore due to high main. but overall i am enjoying my new tank once again and can't wait to post lots of pictures soon!

-david

• 2 weeks later...

Archived