inTank Media Baskets

Uhuru's NPS Elos Mini

Uhuru

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Adam, I think 4 would be overkill. 3 can look awesome if you choose your optics wisely. I would do 1 80* and 2 x 40*. The 80* has very wide spread.I have to say though I have been waiting for quite some time for my other 2 lights. Not that my corals need them or anything, but if you do it give evil plenty of time to make them. I am doing a write up for a new reefing website about my tank and it would have been nice to have all the lights I ordered for the pics.

Thanks for the information and suggestions on the optics. I figured that 4 would be overkill given the PAR readings that others have been getting but just wanted to see what you thought.

Yeah, I was just about ready to pull the trigger on 3 of them last week and they were out of stock. Talked to Clive and he said that the best bet is to call them to see what the inventory is since the website isn't always updated. When did you order yours and are you just waiting for a certain Kelvin bulb or do you think it's because of the special order optics?

Did you go with all 20k bulbs or are you mixing in at 10k's? With the wider optics, he said that if you mixed different Kelvin bulbs that the overlap wouldn't be too noticeable.

Sorry for all of the questions....just trying to bounce some ideas around. Definitely helps.

-Adam

Adam, sorry I missed your last post. I ended up getting a refund on the other 2 bulbs, so I'm just running 20K with 80* optics. It's enough light for me, but it wouldn't be enough for a photosynthetic tank. The wide optics definitely provide a lot of coverage though. Last I heard, nanotuners is starting to mod the lights themselves to cut down on wait time.

So I said I wouldn't get one of these, but after doing more research, and after seeing some really healthy ones on DD, I ended up getting one along with some other stuff that I ordered from them.

_MG_0178.jpg

It was open and feeding within 5 minutes of being in the tank.

some other close ups

_MG_0172.jpg

_MG_0176.jpg

Thanks! I don't know the species name off the top of my head, but the common name is Australian Lightning Sponge. They've had a few pop up on DD the past month. You can get them elsewhere but DD has them the cheapest and you know the quality is good.

animalmaster6
Adam, sorry I missed your last post. I ended up getting a refund on the other 2 bulbs, so I'm just running 20K with 80* optics. It's enough light for me, but it wouldn't be enough for a photosynthetic tank. The wide optics definitely provide a lot of coverage though. Last I heard, nanotuners is starting to mod the lights themselves to cut down on wait time.

So I said I wouldn't get one of these, but after doing more research, and after seeing some really healthy ones on DD, I ended up getting one along with some other stuff that I ordered from them.

_MG_0178.jpg

It was open and feeding within 5 minutes of being in the tank.

some other close ups

_MG_0172.jpg

_MG_0176.jpg

Awesome!

Can we get a FTS?

animalmaster6
Ohhh man I love that sponge. The polyps are zoanthids right? I read that somewhere.

i read that too.

The zoanthids host it's polyps an d basically take it over.

Crinoid seems to be doing well. Still shows active feeding and no signs of any wasting away. I definitely see it feeding on bbs and cyclopleeze, but especially the bbs. After it gets full it closes up and then opens again a little later.

Awesome!

Can we get a FTS?

Thanks! Soon! Probably not today though.

Uhuru - I was thinking about a way to keep the food cool so it wont spoil....

Is there any way to hook a ice-probe to the reactor? How cool do you think it would need to be?

If this works I would even consider this!

-Dave

I don't think the ice-probe could cool it enough to make a real difference. I think you would be better off getting a mini-fridge and just setting it up inside the fridge.

The best set up I have seen was a surge tank inside a fridge. I think it was designed by Fauna Marin. There's a build thread on one of the european reefing sites.

How's the ozone reactor coming along? You think you might be able to build me one still? I am setting up a new marine planted tank (65g) that is going to be connected to this tank. It's gonna be like a large fuge but display quality with a school of redspots and blue eyes. I think I will want a larger more efficient reactor to get the most out of the ozone without having to turn it up too high.

I should have all the parts this week. Once I get mine going I will let you know how much it would be to build you one.

I wonder what other things we could use to cool it..... Hmmmmmm DIY :D

-Dave

Wow great thread.

If you have the time shoot me an email, I think I have a few idea's and I dont want to flood your thread with our crazy talk.

david@paintballcentral.com

-Dave

Great tank.Has Elos redesigned the mini recently? Did you ever get the micro bubbles under control? Would you purchase this tank again if you had to do it all over again?

I don't think so, should be mostly the same. No microbubble problem for me.

I would buy this tank again, but I would not buy the e-lite, the sump or skimmer that comes with it. The tank itself is top notch. The stand is ok too.

Archived