Innovative Marine Aquariums

Uhuru's NPS Elos Mini

Uhuru

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike,

Its looking great. I have been on the search for cones. Just give me a few more days.

Can you post a schedule of yours on this tank? Water changes and everything.

-Dave

Ok, as far as schedule for this tank... I don't dose anything other than iodine once a week. I do water changes daily with Instant Ocean. I do 1.5g/day. I don't run phosphate remover or anything, just carbon on the ozone effluents which is changed every other week.

The feeding schedule is pretty much continuous 24/7 LOL. I spot feed sun corals and other LPS daily. I also spot feed the gorgs and crinoid star throughout the day. Frogfish is fed 2-3x/wk. I think that's about it :) Oh yeah I dose MB7 daily but no carbon. The tank gets cloudy frequently but usually resolves within a day or so.

_MG_0292.jpg

Sometimes it can shut down due to feeding but for the most part it does a great job. The ozone has reduced the amount of skimmate drastically. If not for that I would be changing the cup every couple of days. With the ozone I only change out the cup every 1 or 2 weeks, but it's really dark black.

• 3 weeks later...
The MP20 and MP40 have a black cover on the upper part of the cage to prevent this problem - that is true. But the MP10 does not have anything like that due to the smaller footprint. I used black silicone to cover the upper slits on the pump, and am happy to report I no longer have microbubbles. :)

Hi -- bringing up an old post here, but I (and several others) are dealing with this issue myself.

I was wondering what your thoughts were about whether (and if so, how much) this silicone mod reduced flow on the vortech, and whether this has resulted in any type of mechanical issues (due to the changing water flow). are you happy you did this? would using the foam guard have worked just as well?

Thanks!

Hi -- bringing up an old post here, but I (and several others) are dealing with this issue myself.

I was wondering what your thoughts were about whether (and if so, how much) this silicone mod reduced flow on the vortech, and whether this has resulted in any type of mechanical issues (due to the changing water flow). are you happy you did this? would using the foam guard have worked just as well?

Thanks!

It didn't reduce flow to any noticeable extent for me but because the pump is not able to draw from as much surface area the pull from the vents that are open is stronger. Hope that makes sense. Basically anything close to the pump has a greater chance of being sucked in.

I don't know if the foam guard would work as well since I've never used it, but since the foam is designed to allow water to pass through it I wouldn't count on it completely eliminating the problem. HTH!

Awesome tank. What is the spiriling thing in front of the dendros and next to the purplish gorg?

Thanks! It's a black coral, so named because of the black skeleton which is made from the same material that many insects and crustaceans use for their exoskeletons. Unfortunately mine never did well in this tank for whatever reason and kept losing flesh. I fragged what was left of it and mounted it towards the back of the tank. It's actually doing much better now but still not looking nearly as good as it should. I really don't know why. It does eat cyclopleeze and bbs.

damn. cant believe i never found this tank. definitely totm material!

Thanks!

It didn't reduce flow to any noticeable extent for me but because the pump is not able to draw from as much surface area the pull from the vents that are open is stronger. Hope that makes sense. Basically anything close to the pump has a greater chance of being sucked in.

I don't know if the foam guard would work as well since I've never used it, but since the foam is designed to allow water to pass through it I wouldn't count on it completely eliminating the problem. HTH!

interesting. my fish almost had shredded peppermint shrimp for dinner last night, so that bit about the greater suction from the non-siliconed vents is definitely worth keeping in mind. thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Not much has changed, except my wallet keeps getting lighter. I'll take some new pics soon though.

The daily w/c's are more for maintaining stability while accomplishing net nutrient reduction over the course of 1-2 wks. I still do a large water change every 2 wks or whenever it looks like the corals are ready for one.

• 3 weeks later...

beautiful tank!!!

The nps corals are new to me. I have a 180 sps tank, but nano tanks have always fascinated me I just couldn't decide what kind of nano I wanted. This is it! I have some newbie questions, & you seem willing to help so would it be better to ask here or PM?

Thanks! I saw your thread on RC and answered on there. You should start a build thread for the new nano tank here, and then ask for advice on your thread. You can get a lot of questions answered on your RC thread too. I'm sure a lot of people will be able to help with ideas.

Thanks, and it's all good Dave! Really looking forward to it though! It's going to make things 10x easier for me... and hopefully a lot of others too.

Yep. I forgot to add... the top hole was down to 1" so it makes things MUCH easier.

I also just finished my LED controller, hows the larger tank coming ;)

-Dave

Archived