inTank Media Baskets

Uhuru's NPS Elos Mini

Uhuru

Uhuru - One last Q on the ozone. How does it hook to the reactor? Did you have to tap a fitting on there? Is that the check valve? Also you said you are using a maxi-jet 404 to feed the reactor?

If you did tap what fitting will I need to snag?

-Dave

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Insane! And it has the small bleed valve?

I will just pick up the 606.

So the tank is crazy clear now? I cant wait to set the new tank up just to see the ozone in effect!

Thanks again for all the help.

-Dave

Yeah it has an air input and air output (bleed valve). You can use 1/4" silicone airline tubing for both! For the bleed valve, just leave it open all the time. Run the airline tubing from it into a container with carbon. As the ozone/air rises out of the container the carbon will filter the ozone out.

Tank is crazy clear. My tank is normally yellowish and cloudy. Not at all anymore. Need to take pics soon...

Uhuru, this is the craziest setup I have ever seen.

The automation, the well planned out setup, the research and experimenting on your part is hands down amazing.

Following along for sure, keep up the good work!

simply amazing. it's a science now. i have to check into the ozone setup more. would it still be worth it on a mixed reef tank or is it for a non-photosynthetic only?

nemmy, thank you!

badfish, ozone is never a bad idea, as long as you set it up correctly.

I just started playing with the canon digital rebel my mom gave me. Here is my Menella gorgonian:

_MG_9857.jpg

Very nice tank. I can't believe the feeding contraption you made with the wine cooler and syringe. I've been thinking of ways of doing something like it and I always wondered if anyone has actually did. Now I know. So far my NPS tank consists of sun corals, dendros, and balanophyllias. I have expanded it with a small chili coral but I've had experience with them before and they are actually quite hardy (I still have a chili coral in my nanocube that I thought was dead and I have since stopped feeding it and it actually started opening its polyps again). I'm meaning to try my hands on carnations down the line. I may incorporate the same methods you used but I may also just do it manually at first. I may not have a life afterwards but I'm home almost everyday anyway so I may be able to do it. Anyway, again I love your tank. I'll be following for sure.

Thanks guia, your tank is quite an inspiration! If there is anything I can help you with just LMK.

I am loving this camera. I take photos in RAW format and correct the white balance in photoshop. Just type in 20K for the light and bam! I then use photoshop to adjust the levels a bit more, then the "smart sharpen" filter and bam! I'm sounding like Emeril, haha. If any of you experienced photographers have suggestions on how I can improve my photos I would appreciate it.

Diodogorgia nodulifera

_MG_9848.jpg

Guaiagorgia sp.

_MG_9843.jpg

Rhizotrochus typus - I don't know how I got this effect, but I like it.

_MG_9836.jpg

_MG_9831.jpg

I wanted to wait until everything was more expanded to get an FTS, but I was getting impatient... oh well there's always tonight to try again

_MG_9830.jpg

I am loving this camera. I take photos in RAW format and correct the white balance in photoshop. Just type in 20K for the light and bam! I then use photoshop to adjust the levels a bit more, then the "smart sharpen" filter and bam! I'm sounding like Emeril, haha. If any of you experienced photographers have suggestions on how I can improve my photos I would appreciate it.

I'm no "experienced photographer", but I think you're doing just fine.

This tank is amazing. I want a NPS tank :(

srssly TOTM

EDIT*

its a shame those blennies didn't make it, they really looked great in this tank

do you have any future stocking plans as far as fish goes?

Thanks everyone! Please no TOTM. Personally I don't think TOTM should be given to anything less than 1 year old.

Fishfreak - It is very unfortunate. But, at the same time, my sun corals are much happier because there are no fish to steal their food. I decided that I would get a fish that wouldn't steal food from my corals, so I have a frogfish coming next week. Black with orange spots!

The tank looks awesome! When are u getting the frogfish?

Thanks everyone! Please no TOTM. Personally I don't think TOTM should be given to anything less than 1 year old.

Fishfreak - It is very unfortunate. But, at the same time, my sun corals are much happier because there are no fish to steal their food. I decided that I would get a fish that wouldn't steal food from my corals, so I have a frogfish coming next week. Black with orange spots!

Your tanks look great! I just got into non-photo corals with a fiji red sea fan. I'm making a similar contraption with a 14 dollar usb coke can cooler for the liquid soup. Keeps the food chilled around 45 degrees. Then have a doser pump the "soup" every couple of hours. Still building it right now just orderd a couple of parts so far. So for now i'm doing it old fashion way 3-4 times a day dosing the tanks with plankton. How's the Dendronephthya doing? it looks perfect. where did you get it? did it cost an arm and a leg? lol :bling:

Even though done alot of research about nps corals any extra hints.

Sounds cool, you will get much better results once you get that doser set up. These guys really like continuous feeding. They like a constant concentration of food in the water.

The Dendronephthya is doing good. I went through a period where I didn't feed it for a couple of weeks because of nutrient problems, and it lost a good amount of size. Started dropping spicules too. Once I got the tank under control and started dosing continuously again, it started picking back up and now it is looking pretty good. These guys definitely need constant feeding or they wither away.

Archived