Coral Vue Hydros

Uhuru's NPS Elos Mini

Uhuru

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Found the green banded goby, still alive but labored breathing. All 3 gobies with labored breathing. All 3 blennies out and about like everything is fine, just ate like pigs. Corals ate like pigs. I don't think it can be the po4 remover or water change, because 1) the chalk bass started showing signs 3 days ago, 2) the corals are doing fine, and 3) the blennies, the newest additions, the most stressed, should be the weakest. Right now I'm thinking the blennies brought something with them that is killing my fish. Who knows maybe tomorrow I wake up and the blennies are dead too. DAMNIT!!!

No lesions. 3 perfectly healthy blennies, 1 green banded goby still alive, and everything else dead. I know the blennies are venomous (they are also called striped poison fang blennies)... but are they hunting the fish down and killing them? Are they releasing their toxins into the water? They are supposed to be peaceful.

Sorry for all of the losses all at one time man. Really blows!!

My first thought would have been the change in salt and PO4 remover all at one time but I would have thought that would have affected the coral more than the fish. Sounds like whatever is affecting them, it hit the Chalk Bass first and then cascaded to the others. What's odd is that the blennies and green banded goby are still alive and eating.

Unfortunately I'm no expert on the venom of blennies so all I can provide at this point are my condolences. Really sucks losing fish....at least all of the coral are happy, right?

-Adam

Sorry to hear of your loss, I can't think of anything that could have caused this. I thought the blennies had a venomous bite and use this to bite predators, I don't think they can put toxins right into the water column (though I could be wrong...). Are Bicolor Blennies technically a fang blenny? I know that fang blennies have the venomous bite, for sure.

Well things got worse before they got better. I lost 3 of my dendronephthya, including my big red one (part of it is still okay, I'm gonna try to frag it). I don't know if it was the same thing that killed the fish, or the fish deaths caused the coral deaths. This reminds me of my pathology classes. One thing goes wrong and so many other things go bad that you don't see. You just hope that the "inflammation/hemorrhage/necrosis" stops before wiping out vital systems. I've been doing large w/c's, raised the tank temp up to 74-76 range, and things seem to have stabilized.

All the other corals are feeding, including my big dark dendro and even the blueberry gorg has been opening (I think I may have figured this one out, may try a healthier one in the future). The blennies have never shown any signs of illness and eat like pigs. The green banded goby is back to picking pods from the sand and rocks. And, my banggai cardinal actually looks like he's gonna make it. He started eating again yesterday.

Finally, I stopped by my LFS last night to pick up some more Rod's Food and found this rock with some hitchhikers on it:

DSC02766.jpg

Thanks, I don't know if I will figure out what happened, which is kind of scary. I'll be a lot more careful about making too many changes at once from now on though. I did some rearranging with what is still doing well. All the fish seem to be back into their routine. Here's a new FTS where you can see the blenny trio:

IMG_9579.jpg

imcosmokramer
Thanks, I don't know if I will figure out what happened, which is kind of scary. I'll be a lot more careful about making too many changes at once from now on though. I did some rearranging with what is still doing well. All the fish seem to be back into their routine. Here's a new FTS where you can see the blenny trio:

IMG_9579.jpg

still wow....

thanks... I just noticed how cloudy the water is, hehe. That's how it is when you are constantly dosing microscopic food. The sandbed has pods crawling everywhere constantly. When my fish want to eat they just pick at the sand or rocks. I'll try to get a close up of the particles in the water later.

Amazing tank. I love how much more alive and reef-like NPS tanks look when compared to those that focus on the usual suspects.

For me, Gorgonians, not stony coral, scream "Real, Live, Reef".

I'm glad to hear that the losses have stopped and things appear to have stabilized.

That FTS makes it all worth it...you have one stunning tank :)

Thanks guys.

weeber - the fang blennies are ORA captive bred, I got them from Diver's Den for about $60?? They are very peaceful, as far as I know. What I like the most about them is that they love to eat. I feed my tank a lot, and they are always there to catch the extra food. Even if I feed them every hour they are always ready for more food.

I can't believe I haven't read through this thread earlier.

Fantastic thread, great success (despite your losses). Will definitely be a reference thread for me as I work on my NPS tank, and may have to send you some PMs time to time!

Archived