Top Shelf Aquatics

Uhuru's NPS Elos Mini

Uhuru

lakshwadeep
What do you feed neon gobies? I know they are cleaners in nature...

also those trimma gobies are tiny

I'm guessing these guys eat cyclopleeze, but what other prepared foods can they survive on?

Neon gobies eat what other gobies eat. They are a lot more easier to keep than cleaner wrasse.

One pellet food you could get is new life spectrum for small fish.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply
simplenough

I had a mated pair of neon gobies that i fed new life spectrum for small fish and mysis. They are very cool, if you can get a mated pair, since they share a hole and hang out together. I actually just picked up another one yesterday for my contest tank..

I have a huge order coming on saturday from DFS :) One is a dracula goby and pistol shrimp. They are not paired yet so any tips to get them paired would be great. I have an acclimation container/fish trap that I was gonna put them in together. I was gonna orient it so that when I open the door they both exit into a cave together. Will that work?

lakshwadeep

What pistol shrimp did you get? Not all pistols pair with shrimp gobies. I hope it was a candy cane/Randall's shrimp. fingerscrossed

lakshwadeep

that's good. Better looking and smaller than the tigers, too. You could try putting them together in a container, but even putting them directly in the tank is an option. They may start separate burrows at first.

Just when I thought Live Aquaria could do no wrong... they shipped the dracula goby but not the pistol shrimp. Oh well the dracula goby SHOULD go in my QT tank anyways but now I'm wondering if I need to add a sand bed to my QT for him? Man that would suck. I don't want sand in my QT!

lakshwadeep

If you can have some type of shelter for it (if you don't have rock), like a [clean] terra cotta pot, that will help it feel comfortable.

He's here!

DSC02301.jpg

Looks a bit emaciated, gotta head over to LFS to pick up some food for him. Other than that he seems very alert and active.

oh yeah I also got some corals...

skimmerdude
He's here!

DSC02301.jpg

Looks a bit emaciated, gotta head over to LFS to pick up some food for him. Other than that he seems very alert and active.

oh yeah I also got some corals...

I am close to purchasing a used mini as well, I have a few questions.

1) How loud is the tank with the pumps and lights and everything on?

2) How much stuff did you cram under the tank in the stand, did anything not fit? How about the dosing pumps and acjr? Would you please post a pic of the final setup under the tank?

3) How hot does the tank run, are you planning on a chiller, do you think you need one? I have one.

4) How happy are you with the e-light, is it bright enough? Do you think it will support sps and clams?

Thanks!

skimmerdude, the elos mini is built with the same quality and integration that the bigger ones have. I did change the skimmer on mine, but only because I'm not a fan of nano skimmers in general ... I think they are just at a big disadvantage from the start. I think recirculating skimmers where you can adjust the water input work best if you really want to skim a nano tank.

1) The tank is extremely quiet with the stand door closed. Only thing I can hear is the swooshing of water from the mp10 making waves. With the stand door open you can hear the skimmer sucking in air but it's not loud at all.

2) You can mount drews dosing pumps inside the stand and dose from 32 oz. bottles that will fit under the sump. I haven't mounted mine yet because I don't have a need to dose yet, but I've test fitted everything.

3) The LED heats up the tank maybe 1 deg if that. Most of the heat is dissipated through the aluminum housing. The pumps are low watt eheims, also add very little heat. I keep the house at 80 and the tank stays the same, maybe 1-2 deg higher on a really hot day.

4) The e-lite is awesome, I love it. I wish it had more controllability. The light color reminds of an iwasaki 15k, but not as bright. Now an iwasaki 15k looks more like a 10k, but without the yellow and a hint of blue :) Would I like some actinics? Of course... and I read somewhere that elos has some stuff in the works. I assume it can support sps and clams, but whether you'll get popping colors from it is another story.

skimmerdude
skimmerdude, the elos mini is built with the same quality and integration that the bigger ones have. I did change the skimmer on mine, but only because I'm not a fan of nano skimmers in general ... I think they are just at a big disadvantage from the start. I think recirculating skimmers where you can adjust the water input work best if you really want to skim a nano tank.

1) The tank is extremely quiet with the stand door closed. Only thing I can hear is the swooshing of water from the mp10 making waves. With the stand door open you can hear the skimmer sucking in air but it's not loud at all.

2) You can mount drews dosing pumps inside the stand and dose from 32 oz. bottles that will fit under the sump. I haven't mounted mine yet because I don't have a need to dose yet, but I've test fitted everything.

3) The LED heats up the tank maybe 1 deg if that. Most of the heat is dissipated through the aluminum housing. The pumps are low watt eheims, also add very little heat. I keep the house at 80 and the tank stays the same, maybe 1-2 deg higher on a really hot day.

4) The e-lite is awesome, I love it. I wish it had more controllability. The light color reminds of an iwasaki 15k, but not as bright. Now an iwasaki 15k looks more like a 10k, but without the yellow and a hint of blue :) Would I like some actinics? Of course... and I read somewhere that elos has some stuff in the works. I assume it can support sps and clams, but whether you'll get popping colors from it is another story.

Thanks for the reply. I think I will probably get this system. Your set-up looks great! I am a little unsure about the e-lite, I have a 150w mh and 2x 36w pc bulbs over a bc29 right now, but the elos mini looks like such a nicer sleeker system. Your replies helped a lot, so thanks again.

I believe that ELOS is making a new e-lite with more blue LEDs than this one. Not sure if is still 15 LEDs total but definitely more blue. I even read somewhere that you can give yours in trade in but don't know the details.

skimmerdude
I believe that ELOS is making a new e-lite with more blue LEDs than this one. Not sure if is still 15 LEDs total but definitely more blue. I even read somewhere that you can give yours in trade in but don't know the details.

Where did you read this? I have been trying to find out if any upgrades/changes are coming for the e-lite, and have not found anything.

Thanks,

John

check out the video:

http://glassbox-design.com/2009/elos-rgb-l...lors-on-demand/

Elos-RGB-LED--150x150.jpg

it changes to any color in the spectrum throughout the day.

There is no upgrade option. You can order the marine e-lite which has 6 blue LED's instead of 3, but you have to pay full price and try to sell your old one. The original e-lite looks great as is IMO. Very natural looking light. I have some new corals that look great under this light. I'll try to take pics tomorrow.

I got two, one was almost dead on arrival... didn't make it through the night. The other one looked great and is eating cyclopleeze like a pig. I know that's not a guarantee of anything with these guys though.

I hope this guy makes it, he's just showing a decent feeding response, but tank temp shot up to 85 this weekend due to the heat wave. I need to get a fan.

DSC02285.jpg

DSC02287.jpg

DSC02304.jpg

DSC02306.jpg

DSC02264.jpg

DFS Aquacultured duncans shortly after feeding PE mysis to each head:

DSC02302.jpg

crummy FTS:

DSC02322-1.jpg

its not out of the question, they seem to do well in pairs. maybe ive just been lucky. this is my 4th one. the first one i had attacked me during acclimation, then proceeded to beat the hell out of a yasha goby and stole its burrow and symbiont. The second two were a pair and lived with a damsel, which they routinely harrassed. My fourth guy so far has been a good citizen but he's with a tang and a singular picasso.

Mine took a few days to come out of hiding too but once they did, the gobies were extremely bold. They all swam in the water column, and ventured to the top of the tank as well. Very active and personable fishes, traits which are not at all common in the genus.

Archived