Top Shelf Aquatics

Tigahboy's 35g Project

Tigahboy

Tank's looking NICE Tigah!

What's the Red directly in front of the Vortech on the right?

Also, could you refresh my memory on what bulbs you are using and what they schedule is as far as what turns on when?

What bulbs were on in the FTS above?

I'm making new bulb decisions on my 30g restart. :)

Tank's looking NICE Tigah!

What's the Red directly in front of the Vortech on the right?

Also, could you refresh my memory on what bulbs you are using and what they schedule is as far as what turns on when?

What bulbs were on in the FTS above?

I'm making new bulb decisions on my 30g restart. :)

Coco worms. Very big ones. :)

My bulb combo is as follows (and yes, all were on for the photo):

UVL 12000K Actinic White

ATI Blue+

Fiji Purple

ATI Blue+

ATI 12000K Aqua Blue

My lighting schedule is as follows:

ATI Blue+ bulbs: 5:30PM - 7PM

Actinic White, Fiji, and Aqua Blue bulbs: 7PM - 11PM.

ATI Blue+ bulbs: 11PM - 12:30AM

(7 hr total photoperiod)

I may either increase photo period or have a period of time when all lights are on since I now have SPS. But still thinking about it.

And thanks all for dropping! Happy New Year again! :)

Coco worms. Very big ones. :)

My bulb combo is as follows (and yes, all were on for the photo):

UVL 12000K Actinic White

ATI Blue+

Fiji Purple

ATI Blue+

ATI 12000K Aqua Blue

My lighting schedule is as follows:

ATI Blue+ bulbs: 5:30PM - 7PM

Actinic White, Fiji, and Aqua Blue bulbs: 7PM - 11PM.

ATI Blue+ bulbs: 11PM - 12:30AM

(7 hr total photoperiod)

I may either increase photo period or have a period of time when all lights are on since I now have SPS. But still thinking about it.

And thanks all for dropping! Happy New Year again! :)

Thank you!

Those Coco Worms ARE big!

Very nice though. :)

UVL Actinic White is one of the bulbs I was considering.

How does that one look compared to the ATI Aquablue?

Edited by Weetabix7
I see. Bluer than a phoenix?

The last time I used a Phoenix 14K bulb was like over 4 years ago, so I don't know if my recollection is accurate, but I want to say it is a little more blue than the Phoenix.

Thank you!

Those Coco Worms ARE big!

Very nice though. :)

UVL Actinic White is one of the bulbs I was considering.

How does that one look compared to the ATI Aquablue?

If you look at this photo, the Actinic White is the orange bulb on the far right, while the Aquablue is the white bulb on the far left. Go figure. haha.

Tank283.jpg

Do you feel like you could use more/less light? I'm getting an Aquactinics 7x54w for my 24" deep tank, I'm hoping that is enough.

I think the lighting is enough for a tank my size (only 15" in height). I actually took par readings and found that with ALL my lights on, the par range from the bottom to the top (to about 1" below the water surface) is 250-600.

But again, I never run my bulbs all at the same time, and since I have SPS now, I may have to change that.

Oh, and your lighting sounds like it will enough (though I don't know what you intend to keep).

Edited by Tigahboy
tigah, whats your secret to taking such great photos?

Sorry, I missed this one. But I think having a clear back actually makes it easier (for me at least) to take better photos. It makes the tank much brighter and much less particle matter in the water column shows up in my photos. Otherwise, I use a tripod to make sure the images are as sharp as possible (any slight movement in the camera without a tripod can cause the photo to be more blurry), custom white balance (this helps with the color a lot), low ISO setting usually, macro mode for close-up shots, and vivid color mode (this is a setting on my canon and it improves saturation). If your photos still don't come out too clear, try sharpening the photo a little or increasing contrast with your photo editing software of choice. Hope that helps!

Oh, I forgot to mention that I picked up 2 small emerald crabs a few weeks ago. I generally try to stay away from crabs since they can be such opportunists, but I had some bubble algae that I wanted to be eaten. It looks like they have been eating my red turf algae as well.

Tank334.jpg

Sorry, I missed this one. But I think having a clear back actually makes it easier (for me at least) to take better photos. It makes the tank much brighter and much less particle matter in the water column shows up in my photos. Otherwise, I use a tripod to make sure the images are as sharp as possible (any slight movement in the camera without a tripod can cause the photo to be more blurry), custom white balance (this helps with the color a lot), low ISO setting usually, macro mode for close-up shots, and vivid color mode (this is a setting on my canon and it improves saturation). If your photos still don't come out too clear, try sharpening the photo a little or increasing contrast with your photo editing software of choice. Hope that helps!

cool thanks tigah

Nemo Niblets

Lmao. How'd you get it back to it's spot?

If you took a picture, you can enter it in the photo contest :D

Edited by Nemo Niblets

Wow, basically read thorugh this whole thread, still new to Reefing but am now completely inspired to start saving for a Long tank :D where at in So Cal are you located? Will also probably have a few questions coming your way in the future :) Superb Tank, keep up the great work! and thanks for the heavy amount of pictures!