Cultivated Reef

Unofficial Clown Goby Thread

Nanobuds

bluefunelement

Of note if someone didn't already mention - it seems Clown Goby's prefer branching hard/soft corals for hanging out and maybe a snack here/there but mine seems to love Halimeda just the same - he started out just hanging around in it and now sleeps among it too - doesn't hurt that I put a nice soft mushroom couch up there for him. Bach pad.

my green clown goby right now is sick so he's on the quarantine. anyway he have this large dots probably the size like this ( * ) and its like filled with fluids ist all over he's body but none on the fins. i wonder wat it is? PLEASE HELP

Clown gobies know that nothing actually wants to mess with them.

I have two fish in my 'twelve' gallon nanocube, a yellow clown goby, who is finally starting to reach his full size and adult body shape, and a yellow tail blue damsel. The damsel will chase the goby when the goby gets on his nerves, but he always stops short of actually touching the goby, the goby on the other hand...Well just the other day I was feeding them and the damsel got a flake of food that the goby wanted, so the goby began to bite his face. Luckily the goby is too small to do any harm and the damsel is quick enough to get away and still manage to get food.

So yeah, just wanted to share with you how crazy my little goby is. Anyone else have similar stories about their gobies?

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a YCG from our not-so-local fish store on Friday afternoon. Saw him snacking on pods Saturday and he ate frozen brine shrimp yesterday. My husband will be bringing home some cyclopeze today. I've seen everyone's pics of their healthy YCGs and ours is still transparent. I know it's just been a couple of days but he is eating, so how long will it take for him to get that healthy yellow glow?

Clown gobies know that nothing actually wants to mess with them.

I have two fish in my 'twelve' gallon nanocube, a yellow clown goby, who is finally starting to reach his full size and adult body shape, and a yellow tail blue damsel. The damsel will chase the goby when the goby gets on his nerves, but he always stops short of actually touching the goby, the goby on the other hand...Well just the other day I was feeding them and the damsel got a flake of food that the goby wanted, so the goby began to bite his face. Luckily the goby is too small to do any harm and the damsel is quick enough to get away and still manage to get food.

So yeah, just wanted to share with you how crazy my little goby is. Anyone else have similar stories about their gobies?

My clown goby steals food right from my other fish when they're about to grab it. Lol we named him rambo.

I bought a YCG from our not-so-local fish store on Friday afternoon. Saw him snacking on pods Saturday and he ate frozen brine shrimp yesterday. My husband will be bringing home some cyclopeze today. I've seen everyone's pics of their healthy YCGs and ours is still transparent. I know it's just been a couple of days but he is eating, so how long will it take for him to get that healthy yellow glow?

I don't know if this will help but I always soak my food in Selcon and Garlic. Selcon is a vitamin that helps out the fish and garlic makes them go nuts, and boosts their immune system. I don't know why more people don't use it.

My clown goby steals food right from my other fish when they're about to grab it. Lol we named him rambo.

I don't know if this will help but I always soak my food in Selcon and Garlic. Selcon is a vitamin that helps out the fish and garlic makes them go nuts, and boosts their immune system. I don't know why more people don't use it.

Thanks! Can I use the Selcon and Garlic for other fish too?

Jellybeanie22

ok, so I just got a citron clown goby this morning. I absolutely love this little guy. I'm stuck on what to name him tho.....

Mainly I'm just wondering how to take care of my new little dude. Does he need a coral to be happy? Do I have to have stuff in there for him to hang out on or will he be okay with just the rock and sand? Also, might need to post this somewhere else but what kind of shrimp can I have with him? It's only a 5gal so I know I can't have to much. But input would be loved all the same.

I'll post pics when i get him eating.

Beanie.

ok, so I just got a citron clown goby this morning. I absolutely love this little guy. I'm stuck on what to name him tho.....

Mainly I'm just wondering how to take care of my new little dude. Does he need a coral to be happy? Do I have to have stuff in there for him to hang out on or will he be okay with just the rock and sand? Also, might need to post this somewhere else but what kind of shrimp can I have with him? It's only a 5gal so I know I can't have to much. But input would be loved all the same.

I'll post pics when i get him eating.

Beanie.

My yellow clown goby will perch on anything: rocks, coral, skimmer pump, glass. I don't think he needs a coral to be happy, but it would be a nice addition to your tank. Maybe some nice zoas or a mushroom. Unfortunately some clown gobies will pick at SPS corals and sadly I've noticed mine picking at my frogspawn and trumpets after less than a week of having him.

My yellow clown goby, Goober, loves to sit on mushroom corals and they don't seem to mind. Just as long as you have an assortment of places where your guy can sit, some out in the open and some where he can be partially or totally hidden, he should be happy. One thing I have noticed, Goober isn't a very strong swimmer, so he will sit in low flow areas most of the time, though when I get close to the tank he will sit where he has the best view of me.

Jellybeanie22

so far my little guy sits in his cave under my rocks. I see his little face stick out when I go to look for him. But most of the time he like to hide. I will put some Zoa's in there after a while. But I want him to get comfortable and eating first. He ate a mysis yesterday but not enuf food to say that he's really a good eater or not. I'm just so HAPPY that I got the fish I WANTED! I never thought I'd get him!

do you have any pics of the little guy?

also, i have some sad news... im out of the club. my lil guy passed away yesterday, i dont know why :(

I'm so sorry to hear that! :(

here is a couple pics...

any ideas for a name?

Thanks for posting the citron pics! I've been wanting to see more of these guys.

I've had my YCG for over a week now and he's doing great. He eats well, gets along w/our new firefish, and as far as I can tell, he's not picking at corals. He likes to perch on our trumpet coral, causing it not to expand like it used to. Will this harm the trumpet? I give him a little wave to shoo him off when I catch him sitting on it. It seems to be his favorite place to sit. Is it time to choose between my YCG and trumpet?

Jellybeanie22

I would love to post more pics for you but the camera battery sucks and wont hold a charge for very long. He has been swimming around a bunch so I should be able to get a full body shot of him soon. When I can get the camera working

I would love to post more pics for you but the camera battery sucks and wont hold a charge for very long. He has been swimming around a bunch so I should be able to get a full body shot of him soon. When I can get the camera working

if youa re able to get a really good pic showing their true color and what they look like, i may add it to the first post with all the info about clown gobies

Jellybeanie22

I shall certainly try to get you a good picture. I love my little guy now dubbed 'jub jub' (simpsons fan will know who I'm talking about)

I'll post as soon as I get him to pose for me. he's kinda scared of the camera so it's a little hard at the moment.

bluefunelement

my GCG has a funny habit - everytime I put in a wooden rod I use to move corals around the sand - he nips at it like its a feeding tube - he's done this since day 1 and while I thought he was wild-caught just before I picked him up - I am now suspecting he's might be tank raised - anyone know how prevalent the behavior and/or tank raised GCG's are?

I don't know if that sort of behavior means tank raised. I would love it if it did since that would mean my little Goober wasn't taken from the wild, but I think it's a clown goby thing. Goober does the same thing that you described when I'm working on things in the tank. He also started eating within the first thirty seconds of being in the tank (he was the first fish and everything was crawling with bugs) so I think it comes down to clown gobies being very bold, or at least some of them are.

Edited by TESK