inTank Media Baskets

Unofficial Clown Goby Thread

Nanobuds

I've never seen mine eat anything I feed. I try mysis and pytoplankton (whatever that pink stuff is. Any other suggestions.

The only thing mine eats is Omega flake food that I have to crush into small pieces.

The only thing mine eats is Omega flake food that I have to crush into small pieces.

Interestingly enough, I added a clown fish recently. While he was eating mysis, I saw the goby swim out and grab some. Either the pods are running low and he is hungry, or another fish makes him fell comfortable.

I have 7 of them in my 30. A mated pair of Yellows, two Blacks, one Green, one Red and I just got a Panda. The LFS I got the Panda from had the coolest Green I've ever seen, It had Red spots on it, nothing like any pattern I've ever seen on a Green. I'm very tempted to pick it up.

I also had two Citrons at one time, but they bullied the others and the Yellows stopped spawning until I removed them.

I have 7 of them in my 30. A mated pair of Yellows, two Blacks, one Green, one Red and I just got a Panda. The LFS I got the Panda from had the coolest Green I've ever seen, It had Red spots on it, nothing like any pattern I've ever seen on a Green. I'm very tempted to pick it up.

I also had two Citrons at one time, but they bullied the others and the Yellows stopped spawning until I removed them.

Are citron gobies larger than yellow clown gobies full grown? I've seen 1 at my LFS that was almost 4 inches :huh: while my YCG isn't quite 2 inches...

My green has stripes on the head and spots on the body.

The one I saw had no lines/stripes, the red spots were larger and spaced farther apart with no apparent pattern.

Are citron gobies larger than yellow clown gobies full grown? I've seen 1 at my LFS that was almost 4 inches :huh: while my YCG isn't quite 2 inches...

I thoght Citrons maxed out at about 3".

My Citrons were more than twice the size of the yellows, I don't know if they were full grown or not. They also did not claim a territory in the tank, they cruized the whole tank, all of my others have claimed a very small area as home.

Edited by Psychographic
I don't have cold water tank, but this guy is awesome looking, I wonder if I can keep him with temp around 80?

p-90036-zebra-catalina.jpg

Not for long, they don't tolerate tropical temps well.

I wish they would stop bringing them in and make them special order only. I remember when i started in the 80's Catalina's were very abundant and cheap. At least now they are'nt as common and the prices are fairly high for them.

YCG - NEVER EVER AGAIN!!!

I put two in my 45 unknowingly and they decimated about $250 worth of acros. I could never catch them due to the aquascaping. After the acros were gone, one starved I think...and the other continued on eating other food. I finally got him with the siphon tube and gave him back to the LFS.

Don't get a yellow clown goby if you have acros.

YCG - NEVER EVER AGAIN!!!

I put two in my 45 unknowingly and they decimated about $250 worth of acros. I could never catch them due to the aquascaping. After the acros were gone, one starved I think...and the other continued on eating other food. I finally got him with the siphon tube and gave him back to the LFS.

Don't get a yellow clown goby if you have acros.

Always research before you add anything into your tank...

Here is a goby you don't see every day, picked it up for $15 CAD, sold as a Yellow goby turns out it is a Half Barred Goby (Priolepis semidoliata)

unkgoby.jpg

Where on earth can i buy one? Im in love!! Internet i cant find one anywhere

The one I saw had no lines/stripes, the red spots were larger and spaced farther apart with no apparent pattern.

I thoght Citrons maxed out at about 3".

My Citrons were more than twice the size of the yellows, I don't know if they were full grown or not. They also did not claim a territory in the tank, they cruized the whole tank, all of my others have claimed a very small area as home.

Haha ya, for mine its the dam powerhead.

bluefunelement

Just picked up a green clown goby for $15 at the LFS who had 10 come in and mismarked down from $20 - no shipping and saving $5 was great. Saw them eat pellets and picked out a healthy looking one - brought him home with his 3 sexy shrimp tank mates and he's eating Hikari-S and Rod's food within 24hrs.

Only problem is I made him too good of a shelter and only see his face or butt sticking out... :huh:

Acclimating...

web.jpg

Pico-boo

web.jpg

I was planning on getting a yellow clown goby for my 9 gal along w/a purple firefish. Still fairly new to nano reefing. We have an octocoral, trumpet coral, frogspawn, mushrooms, ricordea mushroom, and zoanthids. Will a YCG do well w/these corals? Sounds like they're also hard to feed. We have 4 different frozen foods: brine shrimp, baby brine shrimp, bloodworms and prime reef. Looks like we have lots of pods in our tank for now (no fish yet... only corals, crabs and snails). So, should I still get one or not?

bluefunelement

Hikari Marine -S is working well for me - he can even cram 2 in if he tries hard enough. He likes to stalk the pellets where they land or take them from the end of the pipette.

breeding clown gobies is very rare in aquariums... but once in a while they will lay eggs in Acro Stalks and protect them there. Eventually the eggs will hatch the the fry will swim off. Thats the time to collect them if you want to raise them, and my guess is to feed them rotifers until they are big enough to eat brine shrimp

Edited by Nanobuds