Innovative Marine Aquariums

Unofficial Clown Goby Thread

Nanobuds

My green clown goby took 5 days, almost a week, before he started eating. And he is healthy as horse. :)

that's good news. I havent seen him eat in the 7 days I've had him.... trying some frozen mysis today.

that's good news. I havent seen him eat in the 7 days I've had him.... trying some frozen mysis today.

I've had mine for weeks and never seen him eat anything. Mysis, pellets, flakes, thet pink crap that you squirt in the tank, nothing. I assume he is eating pods.

I've had mine for weeks and never seen him eat anything. Mysis, pellets, flakes, thet pink crap that you squirt in the tank, nothing. I assume he is eating pods.

Do you notice that he's more active at night? I assume he's eating pods then because he hides when I"m around (5-8pm) and then comes out when I shut the lights out(pod time?).

I dont think yellow clown gobies should be for beginners. i see so many underweight gobies even mine only gets a full belly when i feed it frozen food. They are so small and non-aggressive.

Ive had mine for almost a year now though ^_^

Do you notice that he's more active at night? I assume he's eating pods then because he hides when I"m around (5-8pm) and then comes out when I shut the lights out(pod time?).

He hides a lot during the day. He is the only fish in my tank right now. I see him at night, but he is never what I would call "active".

He hides a lot during the day. He is the only fish in my tank right now. I see him at night, but he is never what I would call "active".

Yeah, mines the same way. I just fed him some frozen mysis with the pumps off and once again the moment he sees me he hides in the rocks. Fast little bugger.

This is the best pic I've gotten of him in the week I've had him:

291cec1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I am the proud owner of a yellow clown goby and I have to say I love the little fellow, for such a small fish he has a huge personality. I want to do what's right for him so I am hoping to get some expert advice here about feeding a fish like him. Basically, the only thing other than 'pods that he will eat with any enthusiasm is flake food so I really want to find out what the best sort of flake food for a goby is.

hmm... im sorry i dont fed my fish flake food only frozen brine/mysis but i bet if you make a thread of the question in the fish forum you will get an answer

and welcome to the club :)

I'll probably make a post asking for more information in another few days after I've done some research on my own. At the moment I'm going with the notion that the more meat and less grain/filler type ingredients the better quality the flake so what I have might be acceptable even though it's formulated for freshwater fish.

I honestly didn't want to feed my guy flake food, but it's the only stuff he had interest in. I tried to get the little guy to eat mysis for several weeks and he didn't seem to like the taste. With flake food though he's what I'd consider a very aggressive feeder. He had never seen flake food until put two flakes in the tank on a whim, he's not even supposed to like flake food. Probably I just have a weird little goby. Long term though, I hope to get him on some other, more natural, foods.

Glad to be a part of the clown goby club though, I think I may have found my favorite saltwater fish

• 2 weeks later...
Why is the red clown goby difficult to keep?

ARGH!!! :tears:

oops that wasnt suppose to be there, fixed :happy:

is it normal that my ycg when feeding, nip's at mysis, spits it out and repeats the process like 15 times ???

Yup, the piece of mysis it too big for it

Yup, the piece of mysis it too big for it

I've never seen mine eat anything I feed. I try mysis and pytoplankton (whatever that pink stuff is. Any other suggestions.