Pod Your Reef

Nanoty's 90g Mixed Reef

nanoty

Casualty #2 :(

Found my old perc that I just transferred from the 40 breeder stuck in the sump today. I have no idea how these fish are getting into the overflows. The slits aren't that wide and the overflow it at least 1.5 inches above the water. I think that the other perc is going to the LFS soon to make way for the B&Ws.

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply
purplefirefish
Thanks man, time for you to come back for a while.

Thanks, I wonder if I cut a few heads if the small ones would grow out better.

cut them... my tank needs them.

sorry about your clown. you tank looks great though

Thanks and thanks.

Sorry :(

Thanks, fish just don't like to live around me.

What type of t-5 set up is your lights Ty? Is it retroed in the canopy?

It's a retro with an Icecap ballast. Waterproof endcaps and reflectors that clip to the bulbs.

cut them... my tank needs them.

Eeeeeerrrrrrrrr no :P

Tang shopping. Trying to decide between a few different tangs and also whether I should get two or stick with one in the 90g. Having 2 would be cool but I dont want to blow the bioload and constantly be feeding them. Here are my choices, I am leaning towards two of the following right now.

Acanthurus nigricans

Acanthurus japonicus

Ctenochaetus tominiensis

Ctenochaetus hawaiiensis

Any input? Also uploading a few pics.

Also here are some pics from today.

Triple drains from triple overflows, fairly quiet.

IMG_8226.jpg

Drains into sump over LR rubble. Was going to remove them but its seems to stay clean of detritus since there is so much flow and it quiets the noise some.

IMG_8228.jpg

Huge serpent star in sump. Original owner claimed he was eating his snails so he threw him in there. Also said he got caught in a pump and had all his arms chewed off. Looks like he is doing better.

IMG_8227.jpg

All this stuff had fallen behind his aquascape and was barely getting any light. They are coloring back up.

IMG_8222.jpg

IMG_8223.jpg

There is a large colony of huge zoas hidden behind my large leather. They need to be fragged off cause they are completely covered when the leather is open.

IMG_8225.jpg

Just moved the redskirts and pinks from the 40 breeder.

IMG_8230.jpg

IMG_8229.jpg

The guy really wasn't taking care of the tank, eh?

Why don't you get a Dory fish? (joke)

He did ok with the water quality, just didnt really take care of the corals much. He just kinda let whatever happened, happen.

I like the chevrons!

Ever see one of these?

Orange Shoulder

279_orangeshoulderstephenthefish.jpg

Here is a better looking one

OrangespotSurgeonfishWMTa_Ap8ST.jpg

Saw that, can't remember specs on it though. Too many choices.

My next favorite after the Purple :D

Achilles Tang

"Expert only" according to liveaquaria. I'm about as far from that as you can get :happy: Nice fish though.

great tank. for a tang i would get the Bristletooth Tomini Tang.the stay small(for a tang at lest)and the orange on them is gorgeous.

great tank. for a tang i would get the Bristletooth Tomini Tang.the stay small(for a tang at lest)and the orange on them is gorgeous.

Thanks, and thanks for the tang suggestion. It's definately on my list of favs. I've always heard that tangs with like body shapes usually don't get along. If that's true I should probably stay away from keeping a Tomini with a Kole or do you think this is enough room?

Thanks, and thanks for the tang suggestion. It's definately on my list of favs. I've always heard that tangs with like body shapes usually don't get along. If that's true I should probably stay away from keeping a Tomini with a Kole or do you think this is enough room?

its not so much the body shape as its the family.like purple or yellows are in the Zebrasoma family and the kole and Tomini are Ctenochaetus and the powder brown and blue are Acanthurus.the key is to have at lest 3 or more of the same family then the aggression is spread around.

its not so much the body shape as its the family.like purple or yellows are in the Zebrasoma family and the kole and Tomini are Ctenochaetus and the powder brown and blue are Acanthurus.the key is to have at lest 3 or more of the same family then the aggression is spread around.

Thanks, kind of assumed since most that are in the same family share body types. That is why I originally was thinking Powder brown and Tomini if they will get along.

Thanks, kind of assumed since most that are in the same family share body types. That is why I originally was thinking Powder brown and Tomini if they will get along.
they should just try add them at the same time.

triple overflows? my 90 at my dads house (sure he can try and call it his) only has a single central overflow...

triple overflows? my 90 at my dads house (sure he can try and call it his) only has a single central overflow...

Its wasn't a RR tank to begin with. It's something the local LFS owner does. He builds smallish overflow but uses more of them. I actually kind of like it since it doesn't eat up a bunch of the display. You should be able to see them in the pics, they only stick out into the display about 2 inches.

Also, I bought a chiller and it should be on its way monday. Tank is hitting 83 during the day and I need some new fans for the bulbs also. Its only a 1/10th HP chiller and rated for 70g but I am only trying to bring it down a few degrees so I think it will be ok.

purplefirefish
Its wasn't a RR tank to begin with. It's something the local LFS owner does. He builds smallish overflow but uses more of them. I actually kind of like it since it doesn't eat up a bunch of the display. You should be able to see them in the pics, they only stick out into the display about 2 inches.

Also, I bought a chiller and it should be on its way monday. Tank is hitting 83 during the day and I need some new fans for the bulbs also. Its only a 1/10th HP chiller and rated for 70g but I am only trying to bring it down a few degrees so I think it will be ok.

youre buying a chiller and im adding a heater... my tank hasnt went over 75 yet :huh:

Archived