Top Shelf Aquatics

Nanoty's 90g Mixed Reef

nanoty

Definitely like him!! Powder Browns are my favorite Tang, Blonde Naso's 2nd...

This is my guy: :D

Kush.jpg

That's a great shot. Mine is too damn fast for me to take a decent pic with my P&S.

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no chance of photographing mine after I feed.. He zips around for almost an hour.. Speaking of which..... *runs off to feed the tank*..... :D

SeeDemTails

I like your new tang, he is dandy! Looks fat and healthy too.

JDigital, I got a blonde naso at my shop that we have had for a couple months now, I can pet her when she eats the flake out of my hand, she is awesome.

Looking good TY. I like the new fishy. Has the kiddo named him yet?

pm sent.

Lol, no not yet. He just points at the tank and screams at me until I pick him up and let him feed them, then he tries to grab them while they are eating.

I like your new tang, he is dandy! Looks fat and healthy too.

JDigital, I got a blonde naso at my shop that we have had for a couple months now, I can pet her when she eats the flake out of my hand, she is awesome.

Thanks, they had a few at the store and I think I picked the best looking one. They had another larger one I liked but he didn't take kindly to the hippo tangs he was with and in turn ended up with a split tail fin.

BTW SDT, I am looking into dripping kalkwasser since I am blowing through 2 part in bottles. I don't know jack about it but I need to start reading up. Any tips?

No one likes my new tang? :mellow:

Tang is awesome! beautiful fish.

I took another FTS, unfortunately I didn't have time to clean it up real well but you get the idea. Kid has been sick all weekend and finding time to work on the tanks is hell. I FINALLY got my pistol/YWG moved over after having to take all the rocks out of my 40 breeder and all I can say is, if you value your water clarity DO NOT get a pistol shrimp. All the little bastard does is dig holes and throw sand into the water column.

Here is the nasty shot.

IMG_8318.jpg

Wow, that looks worst than in real life. Almost over exposed. I'll get a better one tomorrow.

Lol, yeah pistol shrimp are annoying i'll never get another one, he digs all day and all night.

Tang is awesome! beautiful fish.

Lol, yeah pistol shrimp are annoying i'll never get another one, he digs all day and all night.

Yeah, now I have 2 pairs of YWG/pistols in there. Too late now, I'll never get them out.

i likey da new fish ty.....yer tank needs moar color tho...jmo. :D

Thanks. Lol, the tank is actually really colorful, I just suck at teh pictures.

Paleoreef103

Great Tang! I love it! Also, from what I understand not getting an achilles tang is not the worst thing. Gorgeous, but they're supposed to be the most finicky fish and get ich if you look at them funny.

Great Tang! I love it! Also, from what I understand not getting an achilles tang is not the worst thing. Gorgeous, but they're supposed to be the most finicky fish and get ich if you look at them funny.

Well in that case I'm glad I'm a cheap bastard.

Very nice selection Ty

I concur on the pistol skrimp...lil' sand stirring bastages

Thanks :happy: . I just noticed that my pistol dragged one of my frags into the burrow :angry: . I can barely reach the bottom of the damn tank much less under the rock.

Needreefunds

Sweet tang TY.

Pistols are little non-stop-sand movin-frag stealing-water clouding-bastages

but they are cool to watch :P

It took months, but finally the one in my nano cube seems to have settled in. Still relocates frags and stuff as it sees fit. His tank, not mine :D

I hope the little one feels better soon bud.

Sweet tang TY.

Pistols are little non-stop-sand movin-frag stealing-water clouding-bastages

but they are cool to watch :P

It took months, but finally the one in my nano cube seems to have settled in. Still relocates frags and stuff as it sees fit. His tank, not mine :D

I hope the little one feels better soon bud.

Thanks, he is working on my algae all the time. Another annoying byproduct of having two pistols in one tank stems from the maching gun fire snapping I hear during the night sometimes when I assume they come too close. Of course I always root for my original one although he seems to be the only one who steals frags.

Apparently the kid had roseola but fortunately we seem to be on the downhill swing of things.

Yeah my pistol kept stealing frags too... draggin' them into his lair, never hurt em just stole em.. weird creatures.

Yeah my pistol kept stealing frags too... draggin' them into his lair, never hurt em just stole em.. weird creatures.

Weird indeed.

On another note, for I noticed my tang had some white spots yesterday morning. I just kind of wrote it off and later in the day it had cleared up and looked normal. This morning I noticed quite a white spots again and the tang was acting erratically after lights on. I got pissed since I couldnt do anything because I was leaving for work and just had to ignore it. When I got home a while ago it was like nothing happened. Tang was cleared up and swimming around normally eating algae and checking me out. WTF?

Also, I immediately noticed that the breaker for the AC had tripped sometime while I was gone today leaving the house at a nice 85 degrees ( I usually keep the house around 72-73 deg). Lucky for me the chiller seemed to be doing it's job and the tank never got above 82.

ANYWAYS!!!!!

I mentioned I added my other YWG/pistol combo to the 90g the other day and I've been hearing dueling pistols for days. I dont know if one won out over the other but I noticed this today.

IMG_8326.jpg

IMG_8328.jpg

Looks like the YWG have paired up, I dont know what happened to the other pistol but they can both go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

Needreefunds
Looks like the YWG have paired up, I dont know what happened to the other pistol but they can both go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

:lol:

this is a little late but do u guys think a powder brown tang and a powder blue tang would fight im planning on getting them for a 180 gallon?

holy smokes... that's cool that the ywg paired up. I wanna sell my pistol hes a total jackass.

SeeDemTails

Sorry I missed your post Ty. This is how you make a $10 kalk dripper.

Its super easy to do, all you have to do is get a small tupperware container, or a rubbermaid, one that will fit across the top of your sump and rest on each side of the sump. You then need an off/on valve like those that are used on RO/DI systems, they sell them at home depot or lowes for like $2.00 This way you can easily control the drip. Make a little hole in one of the lower sides of the container and insert the valve, then silicone it in.

We mix 5 scoops of kalkwasser to roughly 5 gallons of fresh water here at the shop, then fill up your tupperware and set the drip. A drip every couple seconds would be a good place to start, test a lot until you figure out your dose though.

If your tank is using more fresh water for top off than kalk, then mix your kalk a little leaner, so your tank is getting more water less kalk, you get the point.

Its really that easy.

0.o

did you get male and female then?

I guess, I have no idea. I just figured they would have enough room not to fight, I didnt know they would shack up. The smaller one does have more of a striped pattern if that makes a difference.

I want a pair of YWG! It is awesome that they paired up

Pretty cool huh? I had no idea it would happen, lol.

:lol:

inorite?

this is a little late but do u guys think a powder brown tang and a powder blue tang would fight im planning on getting them for a 180 gallon?

Meh, not a tang expert but 180g is a good sized tank. If they do fight though I got $20 on the blue.

Archived