Coral Vue Hydros

gena's 10g nano

gena

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't updated for a long while! I took some pictures today...hopefully you can see the new growth...it's there, I promise :D

The blue cloves and the green star polyps are going crazy. The monti is hitting the side of the tank now..but no harm, no foul from it (yet). I need something on the right side of the tank. I took off the chiller since I added the mp10 to the tank (no heat issues anymore) and that side where my pump was for the chiller is now empty...it needs something! Any suggestions?

here's the newest pics 08/24/09

2tank082409.jpg

tank082409.jpg

1tank082409.jpg

Love the new pics Gena! Your tank is looking great!! B) Seeing the red monti cap you have makes me miss the big one I once had... :(

Hmm... cheap and easy, frag the monti and put a chunk on the right ;)

I thought about that. I think I want a different color though. I have a green in my 35g that I will probably frag and put in this 10g. Thanks for the suggestion :D

Tank is looking excellent Gena :)

+1^

Your tank is full of life and looking great!

Thanks....gotta love the "full of life" :wub:

Love the new pics Gena! Your tank is looking great!! B) Seeing the red monti cap you have makes me miss the big one I once had... :(

The monti is so easy! It's not tempermental like zoas can be. You don't have to feed it. And it's pretty :D I'd say it's one of my favorite corals!

Looks very healthy, love the Cap.

1tank082409.jpg

Have you happened to ID the zoas off center in bottom of pic, the green ones? I have some too but not sure on their name.

Have you happened to ID the zoas off center in bottom of pic, the green ones? I have some too but not sure on their name.

Nope...no clue.

Enzo's REEFer
Nope...no clue.

Sweet little reef. I have no idea what my zoos are called either and I like the different kinds you have. I am going to get more soon. They are a good way to fill in a reef.

What a STRESSFUL afternoon! I was feeding the tank, mysis for all, including my mini anemones. Marley (clownfish) went after the anemone's mysis and proceeded to get stuck in the anemone! I thought he was a gonner and did all I could to get him out. He finally managed to wiggle himself free. He is acting pretty normal except that he has white flaky burn marks all over his body. I feel terrible!

So....I took the mini anemones all out of the tank! Had to pull out the rock and put ice cubes on the nems. to make them release (it works!) They are now recuperating in my 35g (contained so that I can sell them). Mini anemones are pretty but they are the devil if you have fish. My sexy shrimp are not going to be happy about this! They were hosting them. Oh well...maybe they'll move to the yumas instead.

So...my tank looks a little different. Of course I couldn't get everything back the way it was. I actually kind of like it better now...more balanced, and more areas to place coral now. Hopefully my messing with the tank will not cause a cycle...I have no water prepared for a water change. Keeping my fingers crossed for the best.

Very nice

Sweet little reef. I have no idea what my zoos are called either and I like the different kinds you have. I am going to get more soon. They are a good way to fill in a reef.

Why thank you :D They are excellent little additions...until they get finicky and decide to close up or melt away....ugh! I've had pretty good luck with them though (knock on wood). They certainly are worth any frustration though!

Weird... I had mini nems (a few in fact at a time) and never had a single issue with them. They'd grow in the middle of where zoas were and still wouldn't damage anything. I guess it depends on if they are maxi-minis or the smaller mini variety (the maxis being larger). I'd definitely be in for getting one or two from you though. :) Well you can keep us posted on that. Glad to hear Marley is doing alright though!!

Yeah, caps are definitely easy to keep all they really need is good light and that's it. I really want to get another, my re-setup 30g is missing something and I think a cap is what that something is, lol!!

bummer...I don't think Marley is gonna make it. The "burns" look better today but his swimming is not normal, and he's breathing faster than normal. I wonder if the anemone did some neurological damage to him. He has zero interest in food (another bad sign).

I'll let you know Matt, about the killer anemones. I may start up a frag tank and propagate them in there, so we'll see....

Keep in mind that clownfish particularly are resiliant to coral and anemone stings, so it's possible it could have done some damage, but it might just be more the stress of the whole ordeal than anything else. I guess just keep offering it food and we'll keep our fingers crossed for Marley. :(

well...that sting packed a punch! Marley didn't win :( I saw it all happen in slow motion too. Feed the anemones, oh no...Marley is going after the food, he's going to get stuck....too late. I really thought he was going to be alright. He made it through the night, it was during the day that he just got progressively worse. Didn't quite make it 24 hours, after the attack.

Thanks you guys...for caring! I'm sure to some it seems silly to get upset about a fish...but for me personally, when an animal is in my care, it is my full responsibility to keep it safe and happy/healthy and I let him down :(:grouphug:

Aww, sorry gena. I get sorta upset when I lose fishes also. Or when they disappear without a trace... though I did once find a complete catfish skeleton when dismantling one of my FW tanks years ago. I still have his dismantled remains around here somewhere :lol:

Archived