Cultivated Reef

gena's 10g nano

gena

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thank you so very much! I do have another tank, it's a 35g. I never started a thread for that one. It's 2 years old now...I should have done that 2 years ago :) Perhaps eventually I will do one for it. Right now it's really frustrating me! I didn't realize my ro water was registering high TDS...over 200! This from a local business where I was paying for "quality" water...ugh! I've since found a new place. The hair algae is starting to turn brown so that's good news. I also have dino's and I'm not sure what to do about that. I need to do some research.

So far this 10g has been an angel...no algae outbreaks (knocks on wood).

Thanks so much for checking out my tank!!!!!

Aw, your poor 35g! Hope the new place you're buying water at will be quality water. You should definitely start a thread on that tank. Let me know if you do it's probably just as sweet as your 10g!

If I do start a thread for the 35g...I'll let you know :)

Today was my fish tank cleaning day. I do a water change every Friday on both tanks. They always look so nice and clean on Friday. I wish it would stay that way all week long! I may try to post new pics. tomorrow.

do you have a glass lid on top of the tank?

The tank came with an acrylic piece but I don't use it cuz it gets too warm in there with it on. I actually cut egg crate to fit the opening. This keeps the firefish in...but also allows for air circulation.

I snapped a few photos today. You can see our fire shrimp for once, in the FTS. My son named him Blaze. He's a PIG! And he's getting pretty big. We :wub: him! I'll be sooo happy when we get our new camera. Hopefully I'll be able to then take clearer photos. Until then.....

FTS 05/02/09

050209fish3.jpg

A couple of new frags...green zoas, palys (in front)

050209fish2.jpg

050209fish5.jpg

Looking awesome! <3 those rics you've got. Do the bottom of your lights get bad salt creep from just having egg crate as a lid?

The tank came with an acrylic piece but I don't use it cuz it gets too warm in there with it on. I actually cut egg crate to fit the opening. This keeps the firefish in...but also allows for air circulation.

thanks. im setting up a 10 gallon soon for my firefish and was wondering about that.

Thanks everyone :wub:

I do get the salt creep on the light shield. It doesn't bother me though since the light is so dang bright for the tank anyways. :rolleyes: I just clean it every Friday as part of my weekly maintenance.

crazydante23

Looking good Gena. Im lovin those shrooms, I need to find a place who carries them. Well, who carries colorful ones.

Whoa, awesome new pics Gena!! B)

Thanks Matt :D

Looking good Gena. Im lovin those shrooms, I need to find a place who carries them. Well, who carries colorful ones.

I can never find reasonably priced rics locally. I bought all of those online. Check out reefgardener.net. Morgan has awesome corals! I think they are even more colorful in person than in the photos. What you see is really what you get! Even with shipping, the price comes out the same as if I were to buy them at a LFS.

Got your new camera yet? If not, what are you thinking of getting?

no...not yet. My husband is going to buy the new Canon EOS REBEL T1i 18-55mm IS ...don't know what the heck all that means :). He's the camera expert. I'm going to learn from him :) I've always had an interest in photography...but never explored it. Hopefully soon!

Tank is now complete... ;)

tank looks GREAT :)

sad update :tears:..... I just found Scooter (green banded goby) in the arms of the fire shrimp, and he wasn't being cleaned. It's not going to be a fun day today, after school, when I tell my son. He was eating great, no signs of illness whatsoever. The only thing I can think of is he had a run in with the mini nem????? I've seen him getting awful close to it.

RIP Scooter :tears:

On a side note....I actually had a productive day today. I finally got to dremelling my frag plugs so I can stick them to the rock! Not sure when I'll actually stick them on....maybe on Friday.

If it's a mini nem, that probably wasn't it... If it was a maxi mini, then perhaps... I had an open brain literally start to eat a naked clown I had, alive! :o

DogfoodEnforcer

amazing tank!

im thinking of starting up a 10 gallon soon (my excuse to my gf is that it's a QT tank...i wonder when she will notice that it definitely is NOT). i assume you used the AC30 (i think it was 30) for a HOB fuge? if so, could you possibly snap a picture of it for me? i just wanted to see how you have it set up. I've seen the big AC DIY fuges, but wanted to see if it was best to modify any of the plans for the smaller filter.

sorry for the loss

If it's a mini nem, that probably wasn't it... If it was a maxi mini, then perhaps... I had an open brain literally start to eat a naked clown I had, alive! :o

it's a mini nem. I worry about my giant hairy mushroom too!! I think the replacement fish will be a swimmer. Maybe a black&white clownfish or two. Not sure, any suggestions????

amazing tank!

im thinking of starting up a 10 gallon soon (my excuse to my gf is that it's a QT tank...i wonder when she will notice that it definitely is NOT). i assume you used the AC30 (i think it was 30) for a HOB fuge? if so, could you possibly snap a picture of it for me? i just wanted to see how you have it set up. I've seen the big AC DIY fuges, but wanted to see if it was best to modify any of the plans for the smaller filter.

thank you :D I do have the ac 30 but I didn't mod it to a fuge. It's just holding filter floss, pura filtration pad, and chemi-pure elite....I switch out the floss and pad weekly.

I would think the mushroom before the nem... Just speaking from experience of having mini nems. :)

Eitherway, I'm sorry about your loss of the fish, Gena... :tears:

Archived