Top Shelf Aquatics

Quick's 40 Breeder

Quick

Thanks.. And I agree, I wouldn't call it a 14k... Should be ordering my new bulbs next week. I hope that it turns out looking how I want...

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick, all I did was replace the UVLighting bulb (the pink one) with one of the factory blue bulbs. The tank looks great. I'll post a pic later today. Basically, I have two ATI blue plus, an ATI aquablue special and a cheapo blue fishnetdit. If I were to order again I would either get another blue plus or a super actinic. Hope that helps.

Thanks man, glad that worked out for you. I was thinking of going with:

2 blue+

1 aquablue special

1 super actinic

Once I order them and get them in I will post some pics..

So heres an update, I wake up this morning and as I'm getting ready to leave I see something laying on the floor next to my tank. I turn on the light and see right away that its my mandarin.. I was gonna try to put him back into the tank real quick but he was totally dried out and definitely had no chance of coming back... I feel so stupid because last night I didn't put the canopy back onto the tank and if I would have, he wouldn't have been able to get out.. I've never heard of a mandarin jumping out of a tank before or getting spooked enough to jump out, but I did see a large turbo snail was inside his breeder net this morning... Plus his breeder net is the size of the tupperware container that I put him into every time I clean his net and he has jumped out of that everytime I have put him in..

When he was finally a healthy looking guy this happens.. DAMNIT!

Here are a couple new shots.. Including my newest addition. It was sold to me as an aussie acan.. Is that correct?

40reef188.jpg

40reef191.jpg

40reef194.jpg

Thanks man.. It's amazing how big of a difference a .99 cent magnifying glass and putting the camera on the right settings can make..

The new pics are super sweet. Please keep them coming as it is a real joy to see.

Thanks, I was trying to take more last night but the lights turned off while I was trying to take a couple more shots..

Here are a couple I took this morning as the battery was dying.. I will be taking some more later today.

Current FTS:

40reef200.jpg

Green Bay Zoas

40reef201.jpg

40reef203.jpg

GSP which are spreading like crazy...

40reef196.jpg

Also, here is what I believed to be aiptasia on my hammer. Any exact ID on this?

40reef212.jpg

marinebiologist

nice pics!!!!!!!!!!!!

i just noticed aptasia on my zoas the other day so what i did was i heated up distilled white vinegare then shot them with that using a syringe

Man, I honestly just threw the hammer away.. There was way too much GHA on it and there were 20+ aiptasia all around the base. I wasn't gonna risk them spreading to my rock work.. I wish I would have caught it sooner when there was just a few so I could have stopped it..

Man, I honestly just threw the hammer away.. There was way too much GHA on it and there were 20+ aiptasia all around the base. I wasn't gonna risk them spreading to my rock work.. I wish I would have caught it sooner when there was just a few so I could have stopped it..

Sometimes things aren't worth saving. I know its hit and miss but I had a few aiptasia when I started my 40. Bought 3 pep shrimp and one survived but I never saw another ap nem again.

fishdaddy0831
Your aquascape is awesome! I really love 40Bs and i get excited anytime i see a new 40B thread. Yours is looking great!

I agree with willboy. Sweeeet aquascape man.

I have a 7 headed piece that fell off my main colony if your interested. If you pay shipping you can have it for free. My main colony has like 70+ heads, so I wont miss it. :lol:

Sometimes things aren't worth saving. I know its hit and miss but I had a few aiptasia when I started my 40. Bought 3 pep shrimp and one survived but I never saw another ap nem again.

Yea, I definitely didn't see it worth saving.. I would have gone the peppermint route but my flamehawk wouldn't let those poor guys live very long at all..

I agree with willboy. Sweeeet aquascape man.

Thankyou sir...

I have a 7 headed piece that fell off my main colony if your interested. If you pay shipping you can have it for free. My main colony has like 70+ heads, so I wont miss it. :lol:

Thanks for that offer man.. That's very cool of you. I will PM you on that one.

Here are a couple more shots I just took. I will take more tonight under actinics.

40reef213.jpg

40reef220.jpg

40reef227.jpg

40reef237.jpg

Just read through your thread and I really like your setup. Great job with everything, really. One thing that I was hoping to find was some more specifics about your filtration system. I see that you have a HOB fuge and you added a cpr combo box (not sure what that is?). I was hoping you could provide some more detail on you filtration (setup/contents/surface skimming). I really want a 40B but I do not want to go with a sump if I don;t have to (keeping LPS, softies and nano fish). Thanks in advance and keep it up!

gulfsurfer101

Nice acan addition, I hope my 40 comes out looking as nice as your tank. That's too bad about that hammer, maybe you could have just scrubbed the base off with a small wire brush and threw some peppermints in the tank.

Just read through your thread and I really like your setup. Great job with everything, really. One thing that I was hoping to find was some more specifics about your filtration system. I see that you have a HOB fuge and you added a cpr combo box (not sure what that is?). I was hoping you could provide some more detail on you filtration (setup/contents/surface skimming). I really want a 40B but I do not want to go with a sump if I don;t have to (keeping LPS, softies and nano fish). Thanks in advance and keep it up!

Thanks for the compliments on the tank. As far as filtration specs go, I am running a HOB wet/dry that I converted to run as a fuge instead. I am running a surface skimmer with it as well. As far as what is in the fuge, I am running chaeto with a work light (hoping to buy underwater lights from inTank once it is open again), chemi pure elite, and filter floss. It is ran through pvc tubing back into the tank. I am also running a CPR bak-pak 2 skimmer with the combo box. The combo box makes the skimmer skim off the top of the water which helps remove scum, waste on top and the other side of the box eliminates microbubbles going back into the tank from the skimmer return. The reason I am running a HOB fuge is because I bought the tank set up with it. If I had to do it again, I would probably drill the tank and run a fuge/sump underneath the stand.

Nice acan addition, I hope my 40 comes out looking as nice as your tank. That's too bad about that hammer, maybe you could have just scrubbed the base off with a small wire brush and threw some peppermints in the tank.

Yea, I could have probably tried to save it but I didn't want to risk aiptasia getting into the tank at all.. So by removing it, I can be certain that the aiptasia can't come back and spread..

Last pictures for a while, I swear....

Actinic only shots from tonight...

Getting ready for sleepy time...

40reef247.jpg

Lame ass turbo snail waiting for me to turn it over...

40reef250.jpg

40reef251.jpg

40reef253.jpg

40reef257.jpg

Well I got a new light today.

So now my combo is:

2 Fishneedit Blue

1 Fishneedit "14k"

1 UVL Super Actinic

I really like the look of the tank now. In a couple days I should be purchasing the rest of my bulbs. The actinic really makes the color of the corals pop.. Here is an actinic only shot.

40reef273.jpg

I will post a shot tomorrow with all the lights on..

Archived