Pod Your Reef

Quick's 40 Breeder

Quick

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your aquascape is awesome! I really love 40Bs and i get excited anytime i see a new 40B thread. Yours is looking great!

Thanks, 40B are the way to go!

New pics from today. Don't mind the GSP, I had just removed some weird algae that was growing on the mat.

No more scum on the surface of the water thanks to my new cpr combo box.

40reef154.jpg

40reef155.jpg

40reef156.jpg

40reef157.jpg

40reef158.jpg

40reef159.jpg

My first piece of coraline on the overflow box

40reef163.jpg

Dude looking great. Just got my new bulbs and I must say that I am not as impressed with "good" bulbs as I thought I would be. I bought 2 ATI blue plus, an ATI aqua blue special and a UV Lighting 14k aquablue 75/25. I am begining to think I got the wrong UVL bulb. It is pink. Not blue at all.

Dude looking great. Just got my new bulbs and I must say that I am not as impressed with "good" bulbs as I thought I would be. I bought 2 ATI blue plus, an ATI aqua blue special and a UV Lighting 14k aquablue 75/25. I am begining to rink I got the wrong ATI bulb. It is pink. Not blue at all.

I really like the tank, I like the prison for the mandarin. Keep posting the pics!

Bruce

Does this first bulb look 14K to anyone else? It is what it says it is, but I am tihnking it is too pink to be called "aquablue 14K.

photo-7.jpg

Does this first bulb look 14K to anyone else? It is what it says it is, but I am tihnking it is too pink to be called "aquablue 14K.

photo-7.jpg

I agree. I don't think it should be called 14k or blue... It can definitely throw somebody off. It's kinda disappointing the new bulbs aren't super impressive.. I wanted to put in a set-up for a very similar combo shortly.. Maybe I'll have to re-think it..

Nice lookin' 40brd, puttin' water in mine tomorrow! :)

Thanks, I'll definitely be watching yours.. Good luck

I think the bulbs are brighter but the pink throws off the entire look. I would go with 2 blue plus and 2 aqua blue specials. I think that pink bulb would be fine on a fixture with more bulbs but not on ours with only four. Hopefully the guys at fishneedit will bust on the scene with a six bulb rig soon.

That messes up my plans a little bit. I wanted to go with 2 blue+, 1 aquablue, and 1 fiji purple.. I may go with the set up you suggested instead.

didn't mean to throw your plans off. To the credit of those who recommended this bulb, it does look good. It is just not white enough fir me. I like it more crisp white/blue.

Thank you. I gave away my banded sleeper goby today to a a tank with a huge live sandbed to hopefully fatten him up a little bit. I'm not sure if I will replace him with another fish or just leave the tank how it is. By the way, the mandarin is let out on parole tomorrow!

I let the mandarin back into the tank this morning.. He is just hanging out in the rocks getting used to things again.. Here are a couple more shots from today...

40reef169.jpg

40reef171.jpg

40reef173.jpg

The gsp are still angry from me ripping algae off their mat..

40reef175.jpg

40reef176.jpg

40reef177.jpg

40reef180.jpg

40reef184.jpg

And since everyone posts pictures of their cats, I figured I would represent for the dog lovers..

40reef172.jpg

Alright so there are not going to be any new updates for a while. I am saving my money for the aquarium expo on April 5th, but plan on grabbing up some nice stuff down there.

Also, I have a quick question. I am having some microbubbles problems that are driving me crazy again! They are all coming from my little HOB sump somehow and I'm not really sure from where. I have checked in the return chamber and there are no bubbles making it that far. I have also re-plumbed from the return pump to the tank thinking air was getting in somehow and that didn't help either. I even replaced the return pump with no luck either. So, do you guys think it would be fine to get rid of the sump all together? All I run back there is my chaeto and chemipure elite. I can throw the chemipure in the skimmer and either put the chaeto in the display or toss it... Any suggestions? I cannot stand these bubbles anymore.

So, heres a couple recent updates.

Mandarin is back in prison until I can figure out a better feeding routine with him. He is getting super fat off his frozen foods though!

Next thing, I found some aiptasia anemones on my hammer coral base. I don't see them anywhere else yet, but I definitely don't want them spreading. If I move this coral away from the rockwork, will the aiptasia be secluded to that area or will it end up somewhere else in the tank? Any advice on this is appreciated.

dailydriven911

The aptasia will still likely spread. I had a couple peppermints take out my aptasia in my old tank and they did a great job. Of course I see you have a flame hawk so that is not much of an option. Btw, How are the flame and blenny getting along? I had a bad experience with my old flame and starry blenny a couple years back. I'm planning on getting a flame again but I want to introduce it last to the tank. Great tank, nice job!

Yea, a shrimp wouldn't last a second in there with my flamehawk. I may try the lemon juice trick for the aiptasia and hope that I can take care of it before it can spread.. Also, as far as my blenny and the flame, they pretty much leave eachother alone. I haven't even seen them pay any attention to each other. Its my flame and my six-line that are always going back and forth.. The flamehawk is definitely my favorite fish though, so much personality and he is hilarious to watch..

Thanks for the compliment as well.

Got back from MAX today. I was hoping to come home with my arms full but unfortunately I only came home with one frag, an aussie acan. I also picked up 5 packages of PE mysis for $5... So I'm set with frozen food for a while!

Pictures of the new frag will be up tomorrow.

Archived