Innovative Marine Aquariums

Quick's 40 Breeder

Quick

Update, last night I found a nudi in the tank. It was a real small guy and I killed him as quick as I could. I wasn't able to take a picture because I didn't have my digital camera. I will take some updated shots of the tank tonight.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i got some!!! dont look like yours do in the pic. but close enough lol

Man, that sucks. That shot was under actinic lighting only, but it usually looks pretty close to the way it is in my sig. At least its close to it haha.

Nice breeder. As far as microbibbles go I cannot offer advice. I use a couple HOB filters and only get bubbles if my evap gets silly and I don't top off.

Thanks man. I am going to try a new pump out today and see if that stops the bubbles.. I'll let ya'll know.

Also, I found another nudi today on the side of one of my zoas. So I FW/Iodine dipped all zoas like the guide in the pest forum says and removed any eggs I saw with a paper towel. Hopefully thats the end of these guys.

Got a big update for ya'll.. The newest addition to the tank..

post-41331-1236815654_thumb.jpg

I'll get ya some better shots later.. This is just a teaser.. :D .

sweet mandy!!! i miss mine already!! if you check my thread you'll read why :( but nice shots, and great looking tank!! keep up the good work!!

Thanks, he is already becoming my favorite fish. He is eating frozen brine with no problem. I am trying to train him to a feeding "station" now.. Sorry to hear about what happened to yours.

post-41331-1236823927_thumb.jpg

Awesome! I absolutely love Mandarin's. I actually purchased Copepods and put them in my Fuge today! I'm hoping they start multiplying so that some day I can get my own Mandarin! Good stuff.

-Carl

Good luck man. I have been wanting this thing for quite a while and finally found a nice fat one eating frozen food.

Here are a couple more pics of him and a bad .gif haha..

post-41331-1236832467_thumb.jpg

post-41331-1236832478_thumb.jpg

anim_9db6a9dd-61db-a564-1d1c-b8526cb239d7.gif

FTS

post-41331-1236832556_thumb.jpg

Why's he in there and where did you get that box?

He's in there while I'm trying to train him to eat a few different foods. He already accepts frozen brine very readily, but I am trying to get him to eat some mysis and possibly some pellet foods. Using the net makes training much much easier. I got it from my LFS, but I think I have seen them at petco/petsmart as well.

Very nice 40B. It looks so much bigger than a 3 foot tank. Good job so far

Thanks, I'm really loving the footprint of this tank. It feels so roomy for the little space it takes up..

Also, an update on my mandarin. He is now eating both frozen mysis and brine with no issues. I have been enriching his frozen with selcon and will continue to do so. He is getting fatter every single day. I am going to keep him in the breeder net for a little longer and may even try my hand at getting him to eat pellets. :o

Well,

Today I got the CPR bubble trap/surface skimmer combo box and I am hoping that this removes all surface scum and eliminates any microbubbles. Got some chemi-pure elite in the sump now as well. Oh, also one of my hammers completely died today while the other one is still doing great.. Kinda weird. I will have updated pics tomorrow.

The skimmer and the chemipure are going to make your water crystal clear. That is really weird about the hammer hopefully it doesnt happen to the other one.

I'm sure hoping that it is crystal clear after this. I am sick of microbubbles haha...

Yea, its real weird why the hammer just died like that. The other one is getting huge and that one was just shrinking.. Can hammers sting other hammers?

I have the same light and I can't keep thinking about how I would feel so ripped off if I got anything else. I did, however order all new bulbs. The "14k" ones are more along the lines of 6500 if you ask me. But not a bad fixture for a hundo. I would just feel completely ripped if I had gotten the ATI fixture like I wanted. I just can't see how it could be $500+ better.

SeeDemTails

Great job with the mandarin, try spirulina brine, even better than enriching it with selcon alone, heck enrich the spirulina brine with it too!

I have the same light and I can't keep thinking about how I would feel so ripped off if I got anything else. I did, however order all new bulbs. The "14k" ones are more along the lines of 6500 if you ask me. But not a bad fixture for a hundo. I would just feel completely ripped if I had gotten the ATI fixture like I wanted. I just can't see how it could be $500+ better.

I'm with ya man.. The fixture is great and I am really glad I purchased it. I plan on changing out my bulbs in a couple weeks to something better. I agree though, the 14K is far from it.. My tank is too white.

Great job with the mandarin, try spirulina brine, even better than enriching it with selcon alone, heck enrich the spirulina brine with it too!

Thanks for that advice, I will go purchase some spirulina tomorrow. I got the mandarin to eat some flake food today as well. He seems willing to eat just about anything I put into his little breeder net.

Thank you. Hopefully it continues to go well once he is back in the tank. Also, I am glad to see some people are checking this thread out!

Archived